SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#97754 - 09/02/07 06:11 AM New to forum - future of arr-kbds, etc
spotty Offline

Loc: Winnipeg
Hey, I'm a newbe to the forum. After an absence of playing anything for 12 years, on a whim I decided to get a Yamaha ypg-225/dgx-220. I am very pleased, not only with the particular brand I got, but with the fact that I chose an arranger over just a pure digital piano or a pure synth. At the time I bought it my plan was just to play around with it and maybe re-learn some Bach and Scarlatti. I thought the drums/accompanyment would be a cute accessory that I wouldn't really even use, my only experience with auto-accompanyment being a Yamaha Electone organ.
Well , its been a couple months now and boy did I get lucky with my whimsical choice.
Not only do I use some of the really good sounds to play various baroque and classical composers, but I get a great kick out of being a one man band and playing pop and jazz stuff. My friend is a pretty good singer and we have a blast having a few drinks and playing Dean Martin tunes.

I was shocked at how much the technology has improved since I last looked at electronic instrumets so long ago. The sounds and styles are so much better, and for $400 Canadian yet. I must confess I was a little suprised that there is a market for arrangers at all. I guess they filled the gap left from home organs? For some reason it shocks me that there are people who want to play and accompany themselves at home, or that people can gig as well. I can't explain why this suprises me. Regardless, I am delighted.
Is there a long future for arrangers? In 10 years am I gonna still be able to buy what for me is the ultimate goal, a non-wieghted keyboard with a whole crapload of voices and styles, with speakers built in?

#97755 - 09/02/07 06:26 AM Re: New to forum - future of arr-kbds, etc
zuki Offline

Spotty,

Welcome aboard. Nice to hear you've delved into the arranger world like the rest of us lucky ones . You are in for a nice surprise if you get your hands on some of the top notch arrangers. It's a great ride in life....

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#97756 - 09/02/07 07:46 AM Re: New to forum - future of arr-kbds, etc
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Welcome aboard
Electones are still made, and are still selling like hot cakes, but they are only available in the Asian market.
If you want to see what modern organs can do, you will find there are still a lot of manufactures around.
As to arrangers, just do search on SZ and you will find plenty of links to both Audio and Video demos, but be Warned, if you think your current instrument is impressive, you are going to be blown away when you see what TOTL (Top of The Line) arrangers are capable of.
Here is a link to the new Mid Range Yamahas http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_euro...nglish_300k.wmv

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online