SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97324 - 08/16/07 05:36 AM Best midi controller for OMB
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Anyone have suggestions for a good midi controller for OMB?

I was looking at:
Axiom 61
edoril PCR800

Can these be setup with styles and intros and fillins ect with the assign buttons etc?

Would like to use it with my PC and the OMB software. Anyone?

-Lin

#97325 - 08/16/07 08:45 AM Re: Best midi controller for OMB
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Lin, I bought a Axiom61 about a month or 2 ago..I thought it was the best all around controller, including USB powered..It has many settings and controls..The key feel was the best that I tried..and full size keys..It also has after-touch..
4 zones is also another plus..

I decided to sell it because I was use to 76 keys and 61 just wasn't working for me...

Another negative for me..I had a lot of problems trying to load the Native Instruments preset for draw-bars...I use the original B4, and maybe it was designed[B4 preset] for version2..Although I don't think so..

#97326 - 08/16/07 08:50 AM Re: Best midi controller for OMB
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I just bought the Edirol pcr M 80 http://tiny.pl/5jgz
and I set it up for one man band it works nice, and with the editor included it was real easy to set the buttons. I set it up the first night I got it. It cost 199 dollars.
Now I just use it at home, usb with a laptop but I could have used more buttons and less sliders and knobs. But I'm very pleased the OMB software has a great synth with no latency issues at all.
I can start stop do fills almost everything and the keys feel good more like a keyboard than a toy.
I've tried other controllers before and they just didn't feel musical.
By the way I never got the hang of software synths (didn't want to invest the time) So for me this was a real easy cheap solution while I was waiting for the s900. But right now, probably because it's summer, I'm satisfied and have put off the s900 purchase.
When I saw Fran first talk about going the controller route I figured I'd give it a try also, knowing I could ask him for help.
But my needs are simple compared to the pros.
I picked this one probably for price more than features like I said I could have used more buttons and less knobs.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 08-17-2007).]

#97327 - 08/17/07 05:53 AM Re: Best midi controller for OMB
LindaFus Offline

Thanks guys, I will consider both of them. I would like to play an arranger at my desk sometimes and thought this might be a good way.

-Lin

#97328 - 08/17/07 03:29 PM Re: Best midi controller for OMB
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Linda, I used the PCR800 with the Midjay. It is quite an improvement over the 80. More controls.
DonM

#97329 - 08/19/07 06:17 AM Re: Best midi controller for OMB
LindaFus Offline

Thanks Don,

I went to Guitarcenter yesterday and looked at them all. I ended up with something totally different! I ended up walking out with a Yamaha PSR E403 $179! It fit the bill for what I needed it for. Small light sits on my desk nicely and most of all it works with OMB and has a nice sound engine in it with some cool and sweet voices. I was impressed as to how much you get in that board for $179. No midi in/out but I do not need that. Just as long as the USB port talks to my PC midi programs and IT DOES!

I have the YPG-625 in another room. Its wonderful but not easy to hook to my PC. So this little guy is a waterdowned version of the 625 and I can play it anywhere!

I LOVE the appreggio! and effects knobs!

-Lin

#97330 - 08/19/07 10:20 AM Re: Best midi controller for OMB
mikeathome1 Offline

I too was tempted by the 403. Let me know how you like it.

#97331 - 08/20/07 01:12 PM Re: Best midi controller for OMB
LindaFus Offline

Mike,

Been playing with the E403. I really like it. For the money I paid, it is truely a remarkable board. Great styles and over 500 sounds has appreggio and effects knobs it has an awful lot for under $200. I have yet to find anything bad to say about it. Of course, if you perform live (I do not) you no doubt would not use this board but I can see it being used as a backup for sure!

Love it and would recommend it to anyone who needs a portable good sounding board. I would buy it again. It gets a thumbs up from me for sure. I am a bit surprised at the price. Some of what is in this board I recall hearing from my now long gone PSR2000!

-Lin

#97332 - 08/20/07 01:44 PM Re: Best midi controller for OMB
mikeathome1 Offline

I also had a psr 2000 I was fond of. I just found a long lost recording from the 2000 and it still sounds good.

#97333 - 08/20/07 06:17 PM Re: Best midi controller for OMB
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Linda,
how are you managing with 32 note polyphony??
Do you have any dropouts on larger styles that you may use in omb.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LindaFus:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online