SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#97173 - 03/17/06 08:18 AM sound synthesis?
chovie d Offline

Im a guitar player with new found respect for synth players. Not only do you folks have to play your instrument, you have to design the sounds it makes. :0

I bought a microkorg and am trying to create my own sounds using the software editor. But its all greek to me...oscillators and filters and lfo's and such, i mean I know what these things are but have no real idea how to sculpt sounds with them. There are just too many variables. So now my question: Is there somewhere a sort of blueprint for basic sounds, or for replicating acoustic sounds? or is there a beginners guide to synthesis that might explain what waves are commonly used to acheive certain sounds? that make any sense?

I could just start twiddlin knobs and learn on my own, and beleive me I have spent hours upon hours doin just that and its fun and all, just wondering if there are some "recipes" somewhere I could make use of?
I found some sounds for microkorg on a french site but couldnt figure out how to open em. any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the noobness of my querry.

Cheers and thanks

#97174 - 03/17/06 09:15 AM Re: sound synthesis?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Chovie d,
You might want to cross-post this request at Harmony Central synth forum.
Star

#97175 - 03/17/06 09:23 AM Re: sound synthesis?
chovie d Offline

will do starkeeper, I dont know how the synth forum is there but some of the other ones Ive visited at HC didnt seem to friendly..I will give it a shot tho. Thanks-

#97176 - 03/17/06 12:55 PM Re: sound synthesis?
chovie d Offline

They were really cool about it and pointed me to some pretty intense but informative articles: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

thats alot of reading (and most likely re-reading for me) but looks like it will tell me what I was wantin to know. Cheers.

#97177 - 03/17/06 03:36 PM Re: sound synthesis?
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi,

For most things Korg, especially in the synth area, you'll get a bunch of good info from a bunch of good people over at:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/

Congrats on your new toy and Happy Tweakin'!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online