Im a guitar player with new found respect for synth players. Not only do you folks have to play your instrument, you have to design the sounds it makes. :0

I bought a microkorg and am trying to create my own sounds using the software editor. But its all greek to me...oscillators and filters and lfo's and such, i mean I know what these things are but have no real idea how to sculpt sounds with them. There are just too many variables. So now my question: Is there somewhere a sort of blueprint for basic sounds, or for replicating acoustic sounds? or is there a beginners guide to synthesis that might explain what waves are commonly used to acheive certain sounds? that make any sense?

I could just start twiddlin knobs and learn on my own, and beleive me I have spent hours upon hours doin just that and its fun and all, just wondering if there are some "recipes" somewhere I could make use of?
I found some sounds for microkorg on a french site but couldnt figure out how to open em. any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the noobness of my querry.

Cheers and thanks