TECHNICS HIGH > very low
KETRON HIGH > very low
ROLAND HIGH > very low
YAMAHA > very low
KORG HIGH > ???????

#96445 - 12/10/04 12:24 PM Re: The G70 adventure & review
Wazza Offline

Loc: Sonnega, Friesland, The Nether...
Thanks for the review Roel ,I really hoped that the G70 would sound better than on the demos you posted a few weeks ago... but I guess my suspicions were confirmed.
I hope you'll enjoy your PA1X, and that you'll write a review about it soon .
I'm saving up my money to buy one of these as well, fortunately I can get it for a pretty good price (around 2350-2400 euro ).
I can't wait hehehe!

Greetz ,
Marcel

#96446 - 12/10/04 12:34 PM Re: The G70 adventure & review
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Though I have not heard the G70 myself yet , and having a high opinion of my good friend Roel's musical judgement, I think it is only fair to realize the following:
Having programmed extensively with, and played on the Roland G-800/ G-1000 I could never stop wondering how awful these keyboards sounded straight out of the box and with their default programs/performances
Many people in Holland who got hold of my efforts over the years might testify to the fact that once worked over they seemed like entirely different instruments,simply by editing the basic samples and effects.
A good friend of mine has ordered the G70 and was phoned today that one had arrived, which will remain in the shop. However he went out to see and try it (I had to give it a miss myself but will go and see and play the darn thing next week) and came back very enthusiastic, saying that in essence it's all there.
I can't help but thinking that Roel's unfamiliarity with the Roland tradition (and his limited time spent with the keyboard) is partially effecting his judgement. All I am saying for the time being is that there is still hope for you out there all you Roland affecionados !!!!!
Me, I will stick with Korg though.

regards,
john smies

[This message has been edited by john smies (edited 12-10-2004).]

#96447 - 12/10/04 12:46 PM Re: The G70 adventure & review
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Hi Roel,
I have some questions to you:
1. is it possible to create that good demos with poor Sounds?
2. Why do you think that they used an external sequencer to create Demos? I thougth there
is a very good tool for that within the Keyboard.
3. I thought the songbook called "Music assistant" contains no Songs but Registrations.
Swing titels are swing titels, of course there are duplicates with different names.
4. The sounds of the SC55 Canvas has been included within the VA-keybords Map 1. What do you think:
"Why do they offer these Sounds now on SFX Cards?"
5. What can you say about the style category "Live Band"? People told to me these styles are made with use
of the new created guitar sounds.
6. Do the nylon guitar realy sound like a jazz guitar? It's unbelievable!
Remember your statement: " The guitars all sounds the same"
With kind regards:
Hanspeter

#96448 - 12/10/04 01:05 PM Re: The G70 adventure & review
Roel Offline

Deb,
I'm not sure what your post means.
Are you asking for ratings ?

#96449 - 12/10/04 01:28 PM Re: The G70 adventure & review
Roel Offline

Hanspeter,
a. Sure the sounds must be in it, they just don't come out. A similar thing with the Tyros Megavoices.

b. What I tried to say is that they are NOT created with styles but kind of 'programmed' by top-musicians. Absolutely nothing in the styles that brings a 'wow' feeling.

c. You are correct about the registrations in the songbook. In my view they took a 16Beat Ballad style and saved it with many many names. What I expect is carefully choosen styles that are 'typical' for a certain song.

d. Sure the Canvas effects/sounds became a kind of a 'standard' but Roland did not even try to improve the quality of the samples.
The noisy door, the screaming voice, the starting engine, the footsteps, the applause... with all 15 years old 'quality'.

e. The guitars do not show typical details.
E.g. On my good old SD1 the difference between Spanish, nylon, jazz guitars etc are very recogniseable in attack, release, noises added, brightness, sound-color, harmonics.... The G70 does not!
The G70 styles hardly show strumming guitars.
The demo-unplugged does, but how to play/use them during a performance ?

Please, if you can, compare the G70 with the KORG PA1X(pro) in styles and sounds.
The KORG will blow the G70 away.

Roel

#96450 - 12/10/04 02:38 PM Re: The G70 adventure & review
Darksounds Offline

What is it with Roland anyway ? They used to be a company that pros would turn too .

Tsk Tsk .

#96451 - 12/10/04 03:52 PM Re: The G70 adventure & review
zuki Offline

It sounds as if the G70 is an EXR succession, which I am not impressed with. The VA will be hard to top and I can't wait until the price drops to pick up another some day.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#96452 - 12/10/04 09:50 PM Re: The G70 adventure & review
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Zuki,
Are you in the USA? I have two VA76's left at my store and the price can be really low.....
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#96453 - 12/11/04 02:56 AM Re: The G70 adventure & review
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Roel,
thank you for your Answer. I think it will be not easy to blow away the G-70. I wonder about your good Feeling at Ibbenbüren where Ralf Schink did a great Job, as you reported. (11-11) And now that Disappointment! Did Mr. Schink perhaps use other sounds than you in your test? I think it is very hard to choose three or more Sounds within 1598 of them in a short time. Maybe some Styles are not the Cream today, but Roland will be able to
develop more in the near future, I hope. At the other hand there are a lot easy of use tools and utilities to change events, parts and instruments within
the styles. Same for midi's. For me personal the compatibility of G1000/VA7-Styles, the key feeling, the second spitpoint and the chord extractor are very important things too.

Hanspeter

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online