SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#93001 - 05/12/05 07:13 AM Yamaha styles when new model releases
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
When I had psr740, I wrote a number of songs and notated on the lead sheet what the style number was. Going back through old songs, now, I can't always find out which style that was relative to the psr2000 I now have.

For instance, http://www.psrtutorial.com/Files/SL740.html says Style 140 on psr740 is called Orch. Waltz and initial tempo setting is 77bpm. I can't find this style on my psr2000 nor on any floppy disk styles I have accumulated.

This happens quite often but I have usually stumbled into the corresponding style eventually.

Someone (thanks F.C.!) sent me psr740 internal styles, so, I _can_ resurrect the file. But I was wondering IF people have found that, yes, the psr740 styles ARE included in the psr2000 files. Or are there some missing? (Thinking maybe I overlooked it.)

Does Yamaha NOT include all styles from previous models?

The other thing of interest to me is... the corresponding style on psr2000 that came from the psr740... will be almost the same but not identical. Sometimes, there is something different enough that it bugs me. A rhythm difference or something. And I will much prefer the psr740 style over the new one. I guess there is no way around the difference, huh?

Or should there actually be no difference but maybe I could tweak something in there and get it to sound the same? I dunno, just curious why some sound quite different from model to model.

EDIT: I just tried the Orch. Waltz .sty file that was sent to me from psr740 internal styles. Yes, this IS the same style. But it sounds crappy compared to how it sounded on the 740. What's a fella to do? The differences in the two are enough that the style sounds 'bad.' Just wondering if there is something I can do. Short of finding a psr740.

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 05-12-2005).]

#93002 - 05/12/05 02:14 PM Re: Yamaha styles when new model releases
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Some are definitly missing, but you can find them and reload. The only one I missed was one called 4/4 Blues. Although there were others with that name, they weren't the same as the one on 740.
DonM

#93003 - 05/12/05 02:42 PM Re: Yamaha styles when new model releases
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
I would think the newer keyboards would have extra and/or improved voices and DSP effects. So even if a style is carried forward it may be utilising the newer compnents on the latest keyboard.
Keith

#93004 - 05/12/05 02:48 PM Re: Yamaha styles when new model releases
SemiLiveMusic Offline

So, why does the same style sound WORSE on a psr2000 versus on a psr740? I'd really like to know because it's enough of a difference of some of these styles that I would have to get a 740 to use the style for a demo.

#93005 - 05/12/05 02:51 PM Re: Yamaha styles when new model releases
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
Yamaha does not attempt to include all past styles in the newer instruments, and very often, the ones with the same name are different(in the 3000, several of the styles really are the "2" versions in Tyros).

Even the styles that have the same midi data often change the voice and DSP assignments.

If you want to recreate the original style sound, then start with a copy of the original style(so the notes etc are the same) and make sure that the voices that are selected for your current instrument are as close as possible to the original. MidiPlayer (free at: http://www.svpworld.com/util_midiplayer.htm) might be useful in doing this latter task.

Regards,

Michael

#93006 - 05/12/05 03:24 PM Re: Yamaha styles when new model releases
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Okay, I've never gotten that deep into it but I might have to do just that. Point is, glad to know it can be done. Well, uh, are you saying I can pretty much duplicate for the psr2000 what I hear as played on psr740?

#93007 - 05/13/05 04:07 AM Re: Yamaha styles when new model releases
Michael P. Bedesem Offline

Loc: Shrewsbury, VT
I would think yes with a little tweaking.

Michael

#93008 - 05/13/05 06:59 AM Re: Yamaha styles when new model releases
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I agree with Michael. You can use the original 740 styles directly on the 2000 btw, but they won't sound the same. The Dsp settings will be different, although most of the voices will probably be the same ( assuming the styles use the XG standard voices, which I believe they did ).

AJ

#93009 - 09/08/05 12:02 PM Re: Yamaha styles when new model releases
SemiLiveMusic Offline

UPDATE

Since the initial post, I have come across a couple more styles that are important to me that are nowhere NEAR as good on the 2000 as they were on the 740. This is surprising to me. I'm gonna have to go borrow a 740 to record demo's for a couple of songs. I can't get nearly the same sound from the 2000.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online