SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#92658 - 04/18/07 04:40 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
over looking the thread and what i have posted, I admit I have been extremely hard on Squeak, and I offer my greatest apologies.

I was mistaken about the intentions of this thread...

Squeak, Diki, Fran, Spalding, Donny - check your emails please (i sent it to the address you have in your SZ info).

cheers

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 04-18-2007).]

#92659 - 04/18/07 05:19 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
spalding4 Offline

Loc: england
no worries Nick. Its all good

#92660 - 04/18/07 05:45 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
No hard feelings Nick.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#92661 - 04/18/07 05:50 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Let's get back on topic... Who's tweeking those Korgs??? I'd love to hear from owners who have the PA series and if they're using the synth editing in them. When I test out the PA-50 this weekend I'm gonna dig into the voice editing too.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#92662 - 04/18/07 06:13 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Yeah! Peace is back in SynthZone land

Squeak, I haven't done that much synth programming on my Pa800 yet, but I really intend to dig into this later. You can load any Triton program into a Pa series keyboard and in most cases it will sound exactly as on the Triton. The effects routing is a little different in the Pa series which can cause problems for sounds that depends heavily on insert effects, but most Triton programs sound great in a Pa keyboard. This really gives you a good impression of how expressive the underlying synth engine is - it is much more than just sample playback.

The Pa50 is a great keyboard - nearly identical to the Pa60 I had a few years ago - but you should note that the user interface has been improved significantly on tha Pa1X and Pa800, in part because of the touch display. The more primitive Pa50/60/80 display can only show a few parameters at a time which makes synth programming somewhat more complicated, but you still have access to the complete synth engine even on the Pa50.

Kind regards,
Tommy

#92663 - 04/18/07 09:18 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
Booby Offline

Hi,

I use mostly my Pa1X Pro to recreate natural sounds, and in this case the pcm is very important. I've added some piano, e.piano and clavinet sounds coming from AKAI libraries and I'm really happy now.
I've created my own sound just making all the editing needed without great problems. The sound engine is powerful, even if I've not explored too much it for synth sounds I believe that coming from the Triton engine will assure anyway very good results (FYG a fine set with good synth sound is available for free in the official Pa web-site to highlight this).

Hope this help.

Regards.

#92664 - 04/20/07 10:55 PM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
greenkidd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Man the more I look at it, and read into manuals ect, I have to say that of the top 3 makers out there, Korg arrangers IMO are probably the closet thing that merges the "synth and arranger". I am very impressed with the voice engine in the PA series. Even the PA-50 has a 4 osc synth engine.

I think Korg is the leader here in catering to the synth junkies out there looking to have both an arranger and a synth in one. I think Roland follows closely behind them, and Yamaha... well they still have yet to get there IMO.

**I'm also talking editig options within the keyboard itself and not editing features that have to be used via external software**

Boy I hope this store I visit over the weekend has a PA-800. I really want to try this unit. They're loaded up on PA-50's though. So I'll get to play with the voice editing on that unit I look forward to it too.

I'm gonna have quite a few reviews to post after this weekend

Squeak

#92665 - 04/20/07 11:19 PM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
greenkidd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Man the more I look at it, and read into manuals ect, I have to say that of the top 3 makers out there, Korg arrangers IMO are probably the closet thing that merges the "synth and arranger". I am very impressed with the voice engine in the PA series. Even the PA-50 has a 4 osc synth engine.

I think Korg is the leader here in catering to the synth junkies out there looking to have both an arranger and a synth in one. I think Roland follows closely behind them, and Yamaha... well they still have yet to get there IMO.

**I'm also talking editig options within the keyboard itself and not editing features that have to be used via external software**

Boy I hope this store I visit over the weekend has a PA-800. I really want to try this unit. They're loaded up on PA-50's though. So I'll get to play with the voice editing on that unit I look forward to it too.

I'm gonna have quite a few reviews to post after this weekend

Squeak

I figured I'd chime in here. The Korg PA800's sequencer is also clearly more sophisticated than the Roland E-series of which I own an E-50. Of course...it better be as it's twice the price! I've been reading the PA800's manual lately and am very impressed. One of the things I really like about the Korg's are that when you go into the Quick Record Backing Sequence and record something with a given Style you can go into the sequence later via event view and change styles like you would change program/bank patch events. This means you can change on a dime style changes. You can't do that with the Roland sequencers that I know of. One might say "I can do much more within my DAW with an external sequencer" but I like the idea of getting maximum ease and flexibility with these onboard sequencers for fleshing out most of the song and not have to muck about with the PC. The Korg sequencer seems very intuitive yet powerful. On the Roland's there are basically 2 ways to sequence midi events. Recorder vs 16 Track.The Recorder can record 16 tracks at a time but if you attempt to then overdub 16 tracks halfway through the song you realize it doesn't work. It simply starts at the beginning and erases what you just recorded. Inversely, the 16 Track sequencer method only allows overdubbing one track at a time. Huh?? What about 16 tracks with unlimited overdubbing with any amount of tracks? The Korg kills this in every way especially considering it's ability to change styles within the sequencer. Very well thought out.

Brian

#92666 - 04/21/07 05:30 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
"but I like the idea of getting maximum ease and flexibility with these onboard sequencers for fleshing out most of the song and not have to muck about with the PC. The Korg sequencer seems very intuitive yet powerful."

Thats just the point ! when i work with the keyboard especially in developing a song or an arrangement i want to be able to record it quickly and then make more detailed edits later. I mean how much extra does it cost to incorporate a more high spec sequencer on todays top model arangers ?? I was really disappointed after listening to the SD5 demo and being so impressed only to hear that it did not have a full sequencer. And then hearing the new Audya demo which was good and the concept is very interesting but then to be told it doesnt have a full sequncer onboard. It just kills it for me. I am certain some of the major arranger manufacturers have lost out on potential sales for this very same reason.

The korg seems to me to come the closest to a complete aranger workstation for me and certainly suits the way i work. I am not saying that it is suitable for everyone though.

[This message has been edited by Spalding1 (edited 04-21-2007).]

#92667 - 04/21/07 08:27 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
greenkidd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Spalding1:
[B
The korg seems to me to come the closest to a complete aranger workstation for me and certainly suits the way i work. I am not saying that it is suitable for everyone though.

B]

Yes, I agree. It's not really saying one is better overall. It's about what satifies your approach musically. The idea I'm starting to lean towards is having an awesome sketchpad as opposed to a basic sketchpad. Keep the flow, change styles, edit/correct chords by simply typing in via an event view. Don't get me wrong, I like how the E-50 sounds but I think the extra bucks will be worth it even though I would miss some of the E-50 styles. For me, workflow with an onboard sequencer is outweighing other bright spots on the E-50. Which is pretty funny because I have a fairly elaborate DAW home studio. Complexity vs workflow....

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online