SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#92618 - 04/16/07 11:22 AM Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Man the more I look at it, and read into manuals ect, I have to say that of the top 3 makers out there, Korg arrangers IMO are probably the closet thing that merges the "synth and arranger". I am very impressed with the voice engine in the PA series. Even the PA-50 has a 4 osc synth engine.

I think Korg is the leader here in catering to the synth junkies out there looking to have both an arranger and a synth in one. I think Roland follows closely behind them, and Yamaha... well they still have yet to get there IMO.

**I'm also talking editig options within the keyboard itself and not editing features that have to be used via external software**

Boy I hope this store I visit over the weekend has a PA-800. I really want to try this unit. They're loaded up on PA-50's though. So I'll get to play with the voice editing on that unit I look forward to it too.

I'm gonna have quite a few reviews to post after this weekend

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#92619 - 04/16/07 06:19 PM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
miden Offline

Loc: The World
i agree with you squeak, but then korg have always had op systems that allowed the user to tweak the hell out of anything on them, even creating totally new sounds from scratch,even with the syle programming...their level of programmability needs to be experienced to be believed...they are like the good ole days(?!) of synth programming...( oh and btw, it's "make an ass out of u and me" )
cheers
dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 04-16-2007).]

#92620 - 04/16/07 06:22 PM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
Dnj Offline

Ahhhhhhhhhhh....My old M1 days (sigh)

#92621 - 04/16/07 07:04 PM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I have PSR3K + Korg PA50 and the PA50 is a remarkable board for it's low price. Nice build quality and nice keybed.

#92622 - 04/17/07 03:40 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
squeak_D Offline

Miden,
That saying I posted was actually a very popular twist off the original quote from Samuel Jackson in a movie he did I think he went outside of script and they left it in.... I may have quoted it wrong though. I think S. Jackson said.., "when you make an assumption, you make and ass out of "u" and mption Movie humor..

I'm just very impressed with how many options Korg has included in thier arrangers for creating and tweeking your own voices. I think they've done a wonderful job at it, and as I said am surprised to see even the PA-50 has all those options. I like that Korg is using Triton Based sound engines too. We've talked so often about the need for arranger makers to share more things between these two lines of keyboards.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 04-17-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#92623 - 04/17/07 06:29 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
Dnj Offline

Squeak you should of bought Don M's Pa800 before he sold it...great price too. It wasnt his cup of tea. I personaly like the Korg sounds I had a few in my day.....
Korg "Personal Arranger" 70's ,M1,i3,i30,Pa80,Pa60....its the navagtion that I dislike for my needs....too many steps in menues to get around.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-17-2007).]

#92624 - 04/17/07 07:15 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
squeak_D Offline

I'm hoping the store I visit this weekend has one to demo. They said they might, but weren't too sure.

Squeak

#92625 - 04/17/07 07:29 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
I'm hoping the store I visit this weekend has one to demo. They said they might, but weren't too sure.

Squeak

Dont count on it....you cant even find an american demo online anywhere....have fun.

#92626 - 04/17/07 08:47 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just to tap in a little on NickG's little outburst.

The problem some of you have with the flame-fests is it is always going along like a real discussion, until somebody (doesn't matter who) says something like 'these threads about your opinions on brands / synths and arrangers are a waste of time' and voila... you have actually created the thing you are posting against!

Nick, if any of us told you to your face that YOUR opinion is a waste of time, you would probably accuse US of trying to 'stir things up'. How come YOU get a pass....?

Personally, I think any discussion about the workings of arrangers is EXACTLY what this forum is about. Perhaps you and the poster don't agree, but as long as you keep it civil, everything goes along fine.... including opinions that Brand X is better than Brand Y at doing certain things (it's just an OPINION, get it? No need to call up the troops!). It is when things like 'your opinions are a waste of time' get posted that the flames start burning.

What exactly, are we supposed to post about here, if an opinion about an arranger is considered inflammatory? American Idol? Our health..? PLEASE..... You can argue all you want about arranger features, OSs, operational characteristics, ways to perform, PA's, you name it. It is when you start attacking each other personally just for holding a contrary opinion that shows your lack of manners and civility. And saying someone else's opinions are a waste of time is rude, disrespectful, and deserves every flame you get...

You have to show respect to others before you are entitled to receive it.....

#92627 - 04/17/07 09:05 AM Re: Korg Arrangers (Best Merged Synth/Arranger IMO)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And, back on topic....

The whole point about bringing to everyone's attention about Brand X being superior in certain regards is NOT to belittle your choice of arranger, or to prove the poster's superiority in choosing that brand.

The idea is to start you thinking about whether you would actually LIKE those abilities, and if so, start to put pressure on your arranger's manufacturer to add said capabilities. They lurk here, you know. This is the best free focus group they have. If large numbers of posts start appearing that say Brand Y's voice editing capabilities are sub-par, you don't think that is going to effect their R&D?

You've got to remember, these are not our children or grandkids. They are tools. Plain and simple. Tools that can be improved. Stop being so defensive over a stupid tool... If you can't think of anything that needs improving, you are just not trying hard enough!

The more pressure we place on the manufacturers, the more chance we have of actually seeing our wishes come true. Otherwise, we are simply sheep, at the mercy of whatever hare-brained idea the marketing departments come up with (and ALL of us have some features on our arrangers that make us go 'what moron came up with THIS idea?!').....

So, a poster posting about the superiority of Brand X at certain aspects of use is NOT an insult to your mother, it's a discussion about a TOOL. Keep thinking that while you post, and a lot of the flames just die out.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online