SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#90187 - 12/03/05 05:29 AM My new Tyros2
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I hope this is taken in the spirit in which it was written. After playing with this new keyboard for @ 24 hrs now, I have to honestly say that I am grossly UNDERwhelmed. Like most of you, I did not have an opportunity to try this board before purchasing. To those of you who said they would never make a purchase of this size without trying it out first, I say, AMEN. In all fairness, those of you coming from a Yamaha Arranger background (and were happy with the product) will probably like it and see it as an improvement over previous products. Those that come from a G1000 (like me) or Korg background probably will not. Since the responses to the T2 have so far been overwhelmingly positive, it could just be me. Nevertheless, these are my first impressions.
1. Looks far more like a $500 Casio than a serious pro-quality $3000+ keyboard.
2. Despite what others say, 61 keys is not enough (especially for a keyboard capable of 3 zones).
3. I should have guessed this since I own both a Motif ES and a Korg Triton, but IN MY OPINION, the quality of the voices is inferior (and much less playable) than the Korg and in some cases even the Roland. On the playability issue, it seems to be the dynamics (voices) and responsiveness (keyboard). They ARE similar to the Motif if you happen to like that board.
4. Styles....ah, again very subjective. Let's just say that I expected much better. This of course, will depend on the type (I've come to hate the word "genre'" because of it's overuse) of music you play. I think some of the original styles of the G1000 (from however many years ago) were much better and more usable. So far, I've found maybe 5-6 that I would use outside the studio and none that I would use for straight-ahead jazz.
5. Distortion at settings above 2 o'clock, even going into a digital mixer with 56 bit headroom. This is not a problem if you are going into a powerful system but none of my other boards exhibits this problem.
6. Very uneven volume-matching on the right-hand voices in the factory style settings. Plus, usually only one of the four choices seems appropriate for the style. Just a pain to have to tweak every single factory style to make them usuable.

I'm hoping this thing will grow on me but at the moment, I am really starting to wish that I had gone with the PA1x Pro. I haven't heard that board either but I did hear a PA80 in a local Sam Ash and I have to honestly say that I liked the overall sound of even that board better. If I had to go out on a gig today with one board, it would definitely be the G1000 even though it doesn't have nearly the "bells and whistles" of the T2. Of course there are some positives as well, it's just that after all the rave reviews, I expected something more professional. If I hadn't already spent over $600 on hard drive, 1 gig memory, and a custom gig bag, I would be seriously trying to negotiate with DanO for a PA1x Pro trade (I may do this anyway...hope you're listening, Dan). My advice (which I'm about to ignore once again), TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. Of course this is all based on 24hrs of ownership but not much of what I mentioned above is going to change. Again, let me reiterate, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. Anyway, let the Flaming begin.

chas

BTW, I've been a professional musician my entire adult life and have owned probably as many as 30 different synthesizers. My primary instruments are (and always will be) acoustic piano and Hammond organ. I can, and will, play anything but my preference is small format modern jazz (think Miles, Bill Evans, etc.). I also love "fatback" organ trio ala. Jimmy Smith, etc.

#90188 - 12/03/05 05:49 AM Re: My new Tyros2
Dnj Offline

cgiles....

Thanx for the T2 review......very honest and informative....nothing wrong with that....Im not surprised at most of your comments at all regarding the T2....I myself thought long and hard about purchasing the T2 but in the end although I played a Yamaha last two yrs went a different direction with the Midjay & Im so glad I did. I always stressed that these KB's are a very personal decision & playing them in advance with your sound system is a MUST before you buy. What other people say means nothing to me because I have to play it & like it for ALL "MY" NEEDS before I decide to use one on stage. People mean well but their opinions somtimes have to be taken with a grain of salt, because they dont Hear what I hear, or play the way I play or navigate a kb the same way. I wish you luck in your journey to be happy............
Have you considered the SD-1 also besides the PAX1, G70?

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-03-2005).]

#90189 - 12/03/05 06:50 AM Re: My new Tyros2
ccdmax Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Hmm, that's a very interesting review.
It is honest and that's what makes me look at T2 from a different perspective.

I have ordered the T2 very long time ago from DanO, haven't received it yet, but I'm having second thoughts now. I am actually thinking of cancelling the order. With the PA1X Pro I can do everything and more that I have ever imagined. Nothing comes close from all the Yammies I have owned so far.
I'm also in favor of 76 keys, no more do I want to consider a 61 key workstation and/or arranger.
Dan if you're reading this I may call you and consider the option of cancelling.
I might also consider taking the Korg Triton Extreme Seventy Sixer instead, but I have to find out about the key action. I don't want to have anything different than the action PA1X Pro gives me.

For some reason after owning the Korg...
I've lost interest in plastic pro wanna be Yamahas, don't get me wrong, Yamahas are great keyboards, but in the shadows of others... they just seem like very expensive plastic toys...

cheers,

ccdmax

------------------
Yamaha PSR9000, PSR730, Korg PA1X Pro, Karma, X5D, Yamaha Tyros2 on it's way smile

#90190 - 12/03/05 07:07 AM Re: My new Tyros2
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Thank all of you for your very honest and
unbiased review of the T-2 Chas, with your knowledge and years of playing your background speaks for itself sorry you had to find out after buying, on the other hand, the T-2 is my dream board for now .....Dan-O...if you get any trade in and want to let one go cheap, CALL ME.....
TR

#90191 - 12/03/05 07:39 AM Re: My new Tyros2
lacobo Offline

Loc: Hoofddorp, NH, the Nethelands
Hi cgiles, Roland makes very differend instruments with a very differend sound and feel compared to Yamaha. By using the G1000 you have become used to the sounds and styles it has and the entire admosphere of a Roland instrument. I've had for a few months a Yamaha 9000 Pro and a Roland VA7 and the difference was enormous. These instruments had almost nothing in common. I couldn't get used to the VA7, it's sounds (which all have a Roland feel to it) and styles (could also use maybe 10 styles max of the vast collection) and sold it when I needed a bit of cache. I never looked back and I am very happy with the Tyros2 (and before the PSR-9000, 9000 Pro, PSR-2100 and PSR-3000).

Luckely this is a big world with differend people with differend tastes. That makes it an interesting place. Take a deep breath, sell the Tyros2 and buy a G70 or another instrument which you prefer.

Bert.

#90192 - 12/03/05 07:42 AM Re: My new Tyros2
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Cgiles,
I am not going to question your evaluation, because -as you say- it's all subjective and what's good for one can be just wrong for another. One thing, however, stands out as just plain wrong to me and makes me think that you need to reconsider your opinion, maybe after a night of sleep. When you say that you hear distortion with the volume knob above 2 o'clock, there is definitely something wrong.
I own a Tyros 2 since the end of October and I have never had this kind of problem, so I strongly suggest that you check your setup.

#90193 - 12/03/05 08:32 AM Re: My new Tyros2
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
I have a G1000, Ketron SD1, Korg Triton and Yamaha Tyros 2, not forgetting other PC based keyboard/synth plugins.
The Tyros 2 is far better than any of my other 76 note arranger keyboards and the lack of 76 notes doesn't cause me any problems, you simply adjust your playing style. All of the styles are easy to use and the sounds are excellent. Experiment with the EQ settings inside the keyboard as the EQ changes can have some serious impact. Obviously the Triton can't be compared to the Tyros 2 as that is a totally different instrument. Arrangers and Workstations (call them what you like) can't be compared in my opinion as they cater for different people/markets.
I have no distortion problems at all when connected to my automated mixing desk and even if I link it straight into my PC's sound card it still sounds crystal clear.
Once you've got the levels as you like you'll soon change your mind about the Tyros 2.

#90194 - 12/03/05 08:42 AM Re: My new Tyros2
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
cgiles,

I had very similar experiences when I first bought my Tyros1 - I came from a Ketron and just couldn't get used to the different sounds, styles and looks.

But like you - I bought unseen after listening to Yamahas site demo's and rave reviews on this and other BBS.

I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had tried it first but as time wore on I found that there were indeed more and more things that I liked about it.

I kept my Ketron module and gigged with both but recently have just sold the Ketron and am now gigging out with just the T1 so I agree with the others that it is really more of what sounds you are used to at first.

However, If you have had it a fair while and still don't like it then cut your losses and change it for something you do - life's too short

You will get used to 61 keys - I came from a piano playing background and like many others would like 76 but you quickly get used to it and the touch. I sometimes play the T1 using a fully weighted 88 note controller at home and it is like playing a different instrument - I love it and could swear it even improves the sound (lol)

I still hate the plastic toylike looks though.

Funnily enough - I bought the Ketron XD9 unseen but loved everything about it from the word go (soundwise that is)

KF

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 12-03-2005).]

#90195 - 12/03/05 09:18 AM Re: My new Tyros2
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Chas,

I too had an opportunity to play Tyros 2 this week at a store for the first time, and also the pleasure of meeting Manuel Dorantes again.

I must say, that when I played the T2, my reaction was similar to yours - I was pretty underwhelmed. It's not that the T2 sounds bad - the sounds are all OK. But the feeling I have had playing Tyros was as if being in the acoustically insulated clean room, where you can hear every dust particle fall and make noise. On the other hand, I too play the G1000, and it sounds more like in a live concert on a big stage - big sound, and it does not seem to matter if the instruments do not sound as pristinely clean - they just come together during play.

I must say, however, that when Manuel demonstrated to me the proper technique of playing the SA voices (e.g. SA guitars), they sounded extremely realistic - I can see how someone would love the playing, say, solo guitar (I think the advantage becomes lesss apparent when the accompaniments are playing along), though it does require mastering a proper technique for playing. I hardly ever play solo guitar in any of my music, since I come from the background of clarinet/sax. To my ear, the tenor sax of the G1000 is great, and the SA tenor voice of T2 is not better, though I did not compare the two side by side.

I also felt constrained by the lack of 76 kets, although, I am confident that depends on the style of your play. I am sure some people, even while having the 76 key instruments, play them in a way that is easily adaptable to 61 keys, while others, like myself will feel like they are missing a few fingers. I was also thrown off by the way Tyros' keys protrude above the plastic of the case at the ends of the keyboard (so my pinkies just fell off the keys). I am not a professional keyboard player, and Manuel's keyboard technique puts me to shame, but after playing the G1000's keys, it is hard to switch to anything else.

I must say, though, that T2 is extremely easy to navigate. Even after using my G1000 for 8 years, I still find it a bit difficult to get around, especially while playing live. Also, the multi-pads are a neat option, which would be nice to have on the G1000. I also like having the bells and whistles of T2, such as vocal harmonizer, digital recorder, etc.

I think that liking T2 (or any other keyboard) is a very subjective thing, and depends very much on your style of playing and the music you play. It is good that we have a choice of several high end options. I think that as long as my G1000 is working, I will stick with it, since none of the newer boards provide enough justification for shelling out the extra $$$, but if/when it passes on, I would settle for the 76-key version of the T2, if it is available then.

Regards,
Alex

#90196 - 12/03/05 09:25 AM Re: My new Tyros2
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
Whichever board you start with tends to stay with you for around 3 or 4 years,in that period of time you have gotten used to the way it sounds, plays and this is how your opinion is judged,now if a newer version comes out, a lot of the old stays with the new, similar sounds or voices operating or whatever, so what you buy has some similarities,now when you crossover to a different manufacturer ,everything is NEW ,sometimes better sometimes not depending what you had before. So i agree that people tend to say great things about the improvements they have noticed,maybe they should say what the last board they had before , bear one thing in mind, the top 4/5 manufacturers are different, all good , but still different, and unless some one crosses over and says great things about a new board then you certainly listen to what has been said,but still try before you buy,mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online