SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#112710 - 12/03/05 01:02 PM Piano sounds...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There has been a lot of controversy over individual voices with a host of top keyboards. And, while this is subjective at the very least, the following may shed some light on the topic.

Last Thurdsay night I had the privilege to perform a short interlude for the Saint Andrews Society of Baltimore, a consortium of 350 elderly gents wearing kilts and tuxedo tops, carrying swords and drinking copious amounts of Scotch whiskey. Fortunately, I didn't have to do much, the crowd was so loud it was beyond belief, and after an hour of background music the traditional festivities began. Bagpipes and drums, both loud enough to rattle the water glasses on nearby tables, but for those who lost much of their hearing during the Second World War and Korean War, the sound was stiring--especially if you had the stones to wear a kilt on the last day of November. Outside temperature was a brish 29 degrees when the festivities began and dropped to 19 by midnight.

Toward the end of the affair, a beautiful, tall readhead opera singer did an incredible half-hour performance of old Scottish songs. Her voice was beyond compare and was only equalled by her beauty. (Uncle Dave should not be permitted to be within 100 miles of this lady!)

I did not accompany her. Instead, she brought in a concert pianist who plays for the Baltimore Symphony Ocrhestra. The overall rig I supplied was my standard, large-party setup, which consisted of the Bose PAS and PSR-3000, and she was singing through my Samson Q7 mic.

I selected the keyboard's GM mellow grand piano, which I tuned a bit as a custom voice to provide some echo and add a bit of sparkle to the overall sound. To this, a layered strings voice was added and the layer voice volume level was set at 60. The piano volume level was set at 110.

The pianist, who has more training and talent in her little finger than I have in my entire body, said "I can't believe how wonderful this sounds. The keyboard's piano sound is so rich and full, especially when combined with the strings. I wish I had that in the piano I use at the concert hall. What a beautiful sound." The same comments were also expressed by the listening audience, some of which are accomplished pianist and musicians.

My point here is, I personally, and most of my audiences, love the piano sound created by Yamaha's newer keyboards. And, to my aging ears, they do not sound out of tune throughout the usuable range. When I addressed a PSR-Tutorial member's concerns about the piano sounding out of tune in the extreme lower range to the pianist, she said "I rarely use the extreme lower or upper octaves!" When asked why, she said "I just don't like the way the sound. But, I sure love the way this keyboard sounds."

One of the other aspects of the newer keyboards, particularly the Tyros and Tyros2 models, is most folks that own them never take time to explore all of the wonderful things you can do globally with the EQ settings to make the board sound alive and vibrant. During the past several months I have encountered dozens of players who did not know they could tune and save their custom EQ settings, and how much of a difference the settings make, particularly with the drums and piano sounds.

Again, the EQ settings are just as subjective as other sounds produced by various keyboards, and everyone has their particular likes and dislikes when it comes to both styles and voices. Additionally, when using an external PA system only, which is the case with the Tyros and Tyros2, there are lots of other things to consider when it comes to providing your audiences with the highest quality musical and vocal performances.

During the past few weeks, there have been lots of folks purchasing the Tyros2, and for the most part, the vast majority of them loved what they heard. I strongly suspect that those who did not like what they heard did not take the time to tune the keyboard's global EQ settings.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#112711 - 12/03/05 02:13 PM Re: Piano sounds...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Posted by: Travlin'easy (Gary)

--------------------------------------------
During the past few weeks, there have been lots of folks purchasing the Tyros2, and for the most part, the vast majority of them loved what they heard. I strongly suspect that those who did not like what they heard did not take the time to tune the keyboard's global EQ settings.
---------------------------------------------

Gary this is a good point! You're right
about this. It's like that with several keyboards. I remember in the past members played the MZ-2000 and didn't like it. However it sounded dull to them because the (global) EQ default was (FLAT).

The redhead sounds very intereseting

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-03-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#112712 - 12/03/05 03:02 PM Re: Piano sounds...
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Gary:
Great post my friend, you're dead on. Got any pictures of you and the Redhead???

pose

psssss: Wanna buy some???

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 12-03-2005).]

#112713 - 12/03/05 05:11 PM Re: Piano sounds...
travlin'easy Offline

I'll try to see if I can find some photos of her--she's DYNAMITE! I could not take any because I didn't bring my camera. However, I will make a point of it if I get the job next year.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#112714 - 12/03/05 05:53 PM Re: Piano sounds...
zuki Offline

Thanks for the info about the redhead

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#112715 - 12/03/05 07:48 PM Re: Piano sounds...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I'll try to see if I can find some photos of her--she's DYNAMITE! I could not take any because I didn't bring my camera. However, I will make a point of it if I get the job next year.
Cheers,
Gary

....... her name !?!?!? ..
t.

#112716 - 12/03/05 07:54 PM Re: Piano sounds...
travlin'easy Offline

Zuki,

This gal would really hurt an old guy like you!

She instantly reminded me of Marueen O'Hara, which was among my favorite actresses. She could have been her twin.

Eat your heart out guys! They just called and booked me for next year.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#112717 - 12/03/05 08:24 PM Re: Piano sounds...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gar, can't see the pic ..
t.

#112718 - 12/03/05 09:55 PM Re: Piano sounds...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

#112719 - 12/03/05 11:42 PM Re: Piano sounds...
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Gary loved your post.
Must learn more about EQ settings and red heads.

Cousin Ken

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online