... at a local club this weekend ... In case you don't know, he was the leader of the Saturday Night Live Show band for several years ... Guitar player with long blond hair ...
His show consists of 2 sets .. first set features his wife, sort of a 'folk' type singer who writes all her own stuff, some protest stuff and the like, plus others ... She is accompanied by G. E., a steel pedal guitar, bass and a young lady who played harp (the string kind) and guitar and provided back-up vocals ... This young lady had a beautiful voice, and a smile to match ... Couldn't help thinking that when her parents were paying for harp lessons, this kind of gig couldn't have entered their minds ...
Second set is all G. E., same bass player (they said they've been togehter 31 years) and a drummer, who did a great job considering he wasn't G. E.'s regular guy ... I tried to get a look at his gear, but the best I could see was that he was using what appeared to be a powered mixer (tube) or it was an older reverb/fx box plugged into what looked like twin guitar amps ... He started off with a guitar that had a real sparkly front panel over a bright blue body ... He even joked about being a 'little flashy' ... He said he had picked it up at a friend's guitar store in NYC on his way up to RI ... I was trying to read the name of the model on the front panel, when he mentioned it said 'Radiator Cool Tone' .. He actually borrowed the eyeglasses of a guy at our table to read it ...
We had a front, center table, right at the stage ... It would not have hurt to have been a little further back in the room ... G.E. is NOT afraid to crank it up ... He played and sang about 1 1/2 hours of hard drivin' blues, and finished with a Hendrix type "National Anthem" ... Great show ...
t.
PS: About half way into the show, GE was having some trouble keeping the 'Radiator' in tune ... finally, he said, well I guess I put this baby out of tune for the night, and he switched to his Les Paul ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 02-21-2005).]