SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#83329 - 04/28/05 03:54 PM Where were your ancestors from?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Got the idea this would be interesting reading. So let's hear from you all!

All my ancestors were German. From Prussia (Preussen). Ratti, Kolmar, Posen, Prussia I think is the breakdown. One came from Pomerania (Pommern) which I believe was also part of Prussia. My grandpa came from Bromberg, Germany. Also part of Prussia I guess.

FWIW, the Langholff side of my family came over in 1848 during the revolution. The husband stayed to finish up business I guess and was killed in a fire. The rest came over on a boat. There was a calm at sea and they ran out of provisions, causing some to die. All they had to live on was small amounts of sugar. Some needed to be detained at Ellis Island because of their weakened condition.

They all settled in the Jefferson, Wisconsin area. The Indians were friendly and showed them how to farm the land. I understand the Indians also liked to look into the windows of their log cabins!

Can you imagine the spirit of these people going through all of that and then traveling to Wisconsin, probably in covered wagons. Can you imagine the road conditions at the time. All of our ancestors should be given a pat on the back for their bravery and determination to have a better life which is what got us all to where we are today. Just amazes me to think about it. No autobahn, just bumpy dirt roads.

Does anybody know any Langholff's (Langholf, Langhoff, Langhof) I understand we're all related.

Reminds me of the story of some of my family traveling out the the "Badlands" in the Dakota's I think and inquired if the local's knew any Langholff's. The answer was yes. There were some horse thieves by that name. hahaha. (This was many,many years folk's. No need to be alarmed!) Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......anybody here raise any cattle by any chance?? lol

Our feet are sane. (German for I'll be seeing you.)haha

Scott Langholff
http://www.ScottLMusic.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 04-28-2005).]

#83330 - 04/28/05 05:43 PM Re: Where were your ancestors from?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You mean Uncle Adam and Aunt Eve..

#83331 - 04/28/05 05:59 PM Re: Where were your ancestors from?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Does anybody know any Langholff's (Langholf, Langhoff, Langhof) I understand we're all related.

A really nice posting, Scott! May you find what you're searching for!!!
I could take a look into the yellow pages of Frankfurt but I bet I would find many, many Langho(l)f(f)s...

Most names were built by any special circumstances which were related to their lifes. For example Mr. Smith is a name which were related to his profession. Another example is Mrs. Blackfoot who became her name by the circumstance that she had no money for buying shoes and so she had always dirty feet.
In your case the family name could be resulted by 'Langhelf' (engl.: Longhelp) or by 'Langhof' (engl.: Longcourtyard). In both cases there could be a big mass of people which are wearing this family name. And they must not automatically be related to each other...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#83332 - 04/28/05 07:00 PM Re: Where were your ancestors from?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Scott:

Use to raise Langholstiens down in Sarogosa....Pose

#83333 - 04/28/05 07:15 PM Re: Where were your ancestors from?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
"All my ancestors were German. From Prussia (Preussen). Ratti, Kolmar, Posen, Prussia I think is the breakdown. One came from Pomerania (Pommern) which I believe was also part of Prussia. My grandpa came from Bromberg, Germany. Also part of Prussia I guess"
--------------------------------
Scott, My dog Rocky the Pomeranian has family from Pomerania
We used to have a neighbor name of Gary Langhorst.
MY maternal grandfather Will Kelly came from Cork, Ireland. His wife Sadie Jordan came from somewhere in Ireland also but originally was Scotch.
My paternal Grandfather Eugene Foret came from France. His wife Rose Girardeux came from Quebec. They settled first in Moose Jaw, Saskatchwon then to Rice Lake, Wisconsin and finnaly to Washington State.
I was born in the US.
Bebop

#83334 - 04/28/05 07:47 PM Re: Where were your ancestors from?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Bebop:

My maternal grandfather was Henry Kelly born in Cork, had a brother named Bill???
Pose

#83335 - 04/28/05 08:18 PM Re: Where were your ancestors from?
Scott Langholff Offline

Fran

Were those your grandparent's or your great-great-grandparent's??

Sorry, I misread. Your aunt and uncle no less. Wow. How do you keep your youthful appearance Fran?

#83336 - 04/28/05 08:30 PM Re: Where were your ancestors from?
Scott Langholff Offline

Achtung Sheriff!

I understand that at least in the US that anyone with that name is related. There are a slew of them spread out across the country. This started back when each family had ten kids and those ten had ten more etc. We don't know why our name is spelled like that. It could have been that they were rushed through Ellis Island and I understand a lot of American names were changed there because of error or not understanding the immigrants language.

Also, FWIW, some say our ancestors actually came out of Denmark. I have one Langholff's name from there but never got around to contacting them yet.

How about it Sheriff, isn't Langholff an unusual spelling for a German name?

Also, my grandpa'slast name who came from Bromberg was Hernday. That really isn't German either is it? I speculated that perhaps it was originally Herntag. Tag meaning day in German. Kind of like Steinway pianos. The original name I believe was Steinweg.

Which reminds me. Has anyone seen any Henway's in their local music store's??

Scott

#83337 - 04/28/05 08:34 PM Re: Where were your ancestors from?
Scott Langholff Offline

Pose

This reminds me of another true story.haha

Thomas Edison had his laboratory's in Fort Myers, Florida I believe.

He offered to put up street lights throughout the city for free. It turns out the town voted against it! Why? Because they were afraid it would keep the cows awake at night!!!! Simply amazing isn't it?

Scott

#83338 - 04/28/05 08:37 PM Re: Where were your ancestors from?
Scott Langholff Offline

Bebop

Seems I used to hear my grandparents talking about great fishing up at Rice Lake. Did you grow up there?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online