SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#80146 - 03/21/05 10:04 AM Assaulted and Fed up with New York!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Today at 5:15 am at my train station in New York, I was assaulted by another passenger on my 5:22 train who took offence when I simply tapped his car with my door when exiting my vehicle. The tap was so slight, I didn't even look at my car or his. I didn't even know anyone was in the car next to me until he started honking his horn like an animal. I started walking away from my car and he bolted out of his car, checked his car then charged me.

Before I could apologize, he pushed me, I stumbled then almost fell to the ground, my backpack flew 6 feet away. When I rebalanced and started standing upright, he charged a second time this time he was cocking his right arm for a punch....that was his second mistake.

I had no choice but to defend myself and sadly I must say that a fight and struggle ensued which I am very embarrased about. I hurt this man. I broke his nose and his face was bloody. He tried to wrestle me to the ground, but I side stepped his attempt and insticts just took over and I started pummelling this man about 30 years old, 5ft 11in. I'm a 49 yo, 6ft, 225lbs, peace loving man.

Finally, he quit and other commuters broke up the fight. I walked to my train and this nut case got in his car and drove away.

My hands are all swollen and beaten up..I can't make a fist. When I got to work ( which I absolutely had to do ), I phone the police and gave them a report. I now have to go there after work to press charges.

I can't explain how depressed I am about this. I hate New York! Please Lord, get me out of this hell hole to a kinder, gentler place!!!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#80147 - 03/21/05 11:43 AM Re: Assaulted and Fed up with New York!!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Wow, Sorry to hear this happened to you. Bigger cities can be a rough place to live. You did the right thing by not fighting until he assaulted you first. This way it clears you of any legalities and falls under self defense.

I myself have been in situations where I've had to defend myself from hot heads who love nothing more than to pick fights with people. However, my situation is different. I have to be very careful in I'm ever in a fist fight with someone. I've obtained several black belts over the years in a several styles of martial arts, and I was a kickboxer for 7 years too. I have to be careful not to use (excessive) force when defending myself. The laws can help people like me, and also go the other way.

I hope things get better for you, and I hope you're able to get this guy and press charges Again you did the right thing. Also I wonder how he'll feel when he realizes that a guy nearly 20 years older than he beat the living snot out of him

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#80148 - 03/21/05 11:58 AM Re: Assaulted and Fed up with New York!!!
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Kbrkr....man I feel your pain, It's a shame
that people just can't be civil anymore to each other.....I have to tell ya, it's not like that down here...NY has changed sooooo
much since I used to live in the area that I don't even want to go back to visit...good
luck and bail out if you can....

#80149 - 03/21/05 12:26 PM Re: Assaulted and Fed up with New York!!!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Sadly, NY does not have a lock on being a dangerous place. I have a conceal/carry license, and have had to stop a potential robbery and an attempted assault here in the "friendly" South. A sad commentary on the state of the world.

Every year, on the patio where I play, I have to break-up several altercations between either drunks or a drunk and a server. The biggest problems I have is with people who claim to be important (sports and political figures). Generally, I just distract them until a manager gets to the patio, but not always.

I'm GLAD you're OK!

Russ

#80150 - 03/21/05 12:53 PM Re: Assaulted and Fed up with New York!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of folks like that everywhere you go. And, if you think New York are bad, you've obviously never visited Baltimore or Washington, DC. Statistically, it's safer to live in New York City that either Baltimore or Washington. And like Russ, there are some places you play where you have to pack iron in order to just drive through the neighborhood. Another reason I don't do the bar-rooms and nite clubs anymore. Hell, just give me an old fashioned Senior Center in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week and I'm happy as a clam.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#80151 - 03/21/05 01:36 PM Re: Assaulted and Fed up with New York!!!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You handled it just right.
Around here, nobody fights anymore, they just pull out a gun and shoot you.
The old joke about checking for guns at the nightclub door, and issuing you one if you don't have one, is just about true.
DonM

#80152 - 03/21/05 06:30 PM Re: Assaulted and Fed up with New York!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Wow, Sorry to hear this happened to you. Bigger cities can be a rough place to live. You did the right thing by not fighting until he assaulted you first. This way it clears you of any legalities and falls under self defense.

I myself have been in situations where I've had to defend myself from hot heads who love nothing more than to pick fights with people. However, my situation is different. I have to be very careful in I'm ever in a fist fight with someone. I've obtained several black belts over the years in a several styles of martial arts, and I was a kickboxer for 7 years too. I have to be careful not to use (excessive) force when defending myself. The laws can help people like me, and also go the other way.

I hope things get better for you, and I hope you're able to get this guy and press charges Again you did the right thing. Also I wonder how he'll feel when he realizes that a guy nearly 20 years older than he beat the living snot out of him

Squeak

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#80153 - 03/21/05 08:23 PM Re: Assaulted and Fed up with New York!!!
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
kbrkr...
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Just out of curiousity, what happens state side when a juvenile assaults someone?
Up here in Canucklehead Land, we've got this nonsense called the "Young Offenders Act" whereby they can't be identified, for fear it may scar them for life, never mind the poor victims.
These &&%**'s get a slap on the wrist and the reason for their situation is often put as "Well..they're troubled and they need understanding, the poor things".
Canada really needs to get it's sh*t together on dealing with assailants and thugs, particularly the young ones who know how to work the system.

Lemme buy ya a drink kbrkr...then at least we can drown our sorrows together.

------------------
...shboom

#80154 - 03/22/05 10:46 AM Re: Assaulted and Fed up with New York!!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
kbrkr .... I am glad you weren't injured more than you are ... I hate to hear about stuff like that ... but don't blame it on your location ... it's PEOPLE, and the fact that we as a society have lost so much respect for each other ...
I wish you the best ...
t.

#80155 - 03/24/05 11:53 PM Re: Assaulted and Fed up with New York!!!
KN_Fan Offline

West Coast people are pretty chilled

You'll like the pace in Portland. Seriously, check us out!

Went to NYC for 4 days. Hated it myself. Funny considering I came to the US from a place of almost 10 million people. I've been too accustomed to Portland myself.

Early 90s it was not that great (people were pretty close minded), I thought it was awful, but now I'm loving it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online