SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7460 - 10/02/02 08:27 AM newbie question about finding midi drum kits
Leonard Offline

Loc: Mchenry, IL. U.S.A.
Silly question...What must I do in Sonar to change drum kits in my Alesis Nanosynth? While I'm so bold, How do I change drum kits in my Yamaha QY70 using Sonar? XG is different right?

#7461 - 10/02/02 10:23 AM Re: newbie question about finding midi drum kits
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I don't have your devices, but I do use Sonar.
The only thing you need first (if you don't have it yet) are the INS files for your alessis and yamaha.
Just import the INS files in Sonar.

Load any midifile and you can choose for each track which instrument patch/program you want to use. (use different midichannels for each device and make sure the receiving channel on your device is the same.)

Fred

#7462 - 10/02/02 10:40 AM Re: newbie question about finding midi drum kits
Leonard Offline

Thanks, Fred. I have the ins defintion files in place and working right. I really am a newbie, so bear with me.
I can change banks to access the other non-GM sounds. But, silly as this sounds, I don't know where the other drum kits are in there. Channel 10 is configured properly to the Nanosynth's drum ins. But since you don't click another bank to use them like all other instruments, I can't find them.
So the same goes for the QY70 as well, but as a kicker there, it's XG, which means I'm even more L O S T.

#7463 - 10/02/02 11:26 AM Re: newbie question about finding midi drum kits
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
You should see them.
Did you assign the instruments?
If not go to;
go to options -> mouseclick instyruments.
Here you have the choice to select a midichannel for each instrument.
After you assigned(use define) the instrument to the specific midichannel, go to the selected midi track and select assigned midi channel then click pch. (patch)

If nothin's there the patches were probably not written in the ins file.
These are user ins files so in that case you might cheque for newer ones.

You can control the ins file by opening the file in msword as a txt file, as this is all it is in fact.
Don't change the file if you are not familiar with writing your own ins files

As a last resort you might send me the ins files by mail and I will cheque for you or the definitions for all patches are written.

Since I don't own your instruments I can't write these for you, but I can see or there are more as one patch for drums f.i.

Fred

#7464 - 10/02/02 03:34 PM Re: newbie question about finding midi drum kits
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
I don't know if this will help, but in the nano the drums are located on GM bank (0) and user banks 1-4, program #s 112-119. In cakewalk metro 5 (mac), if I want to use a certain kit, I choose it in the midi sequencer, and let it rip that way. Of course when I do that I can't run other midi sounds from the nano at the same time. So I just do 1 track at a time, and convert to audio.

#7465 - 10/03/02 06:44 AM Re: newbie question about finding midi drum kits
Leonard Offline

Thanks for your help, fellas. I found them!
Fred-That is mighty generous of you to offer your time to search out drums kits in my ins. I very much appreciate it! It won't be necessary, because you both have led me to them.
kaboombahchuck-I'm gonna make a note of those locations. Those are the locations I was looking for.
One final drum kit question: Does Yamaha's XG system make finding drum kits in Sonar tricky?

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online