SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#74584 - 01/03/02 02:11 PM Synth advice
dmollen Offline

Loc: Denton, TX, USA
I need help! I have a lot of comnputer expertise and a degree in music, which includes vocal, strings, and some composing/arranging. But I'm new to synthesizers.

Our church is wanting to purchase a good electric piano to replace an old organ.

What brands do you guys recommend?

I know we want 88 weighted keys and MIDI capabilities, but beyond that I'm not sure.

MIDI better on the synth or linked through a PC?

------------------
smile Dave smile

#74585 - 01/06/02 12:02 AM Re: Synth advice
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Yamaha S-80 or Roland XV-88. XV is more of a synthe with many tweakable parameters. Roland RD-700 might be a good possibility as well. It has a small sequencer, plus organ drawbar simulations. I haven't played one though, but I have played XV88 and liked it. RD-700 seems to be a bit easier to learn and might be more suited for a church.
Haven't played the Yamaha either, but I've got a friend who seems to enjoy it quite a lot, and I've read many favorable reviews.

[This message has been edited by FAEbGBD (edited 01-06-2002).]

#74586 - 01/07/02 11:27 AM Re: Synth advice
dmollen Offline

Thanks. I think we're leaning toward a Motif 8. But a Karma is also a good possibility. Any feedback on either of these?

------------------
smile Dave smile

#74587 - 01/07/02 12:27 PM Re: Synth advice
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Actually I'm a bit surprised you'd want a Karma. I didn't even know there was an 88 key Karma. Anyway, this keyboard is definitely dance oriented. It does other things for sure, but that's kind of how it is advertised, plus any demos I've heard were all dance oriented. That must be a sweet church you're attending.

#74588 - 01/08/02 01:15 PM Re: Synth advice
dmollen Offline

Church isn't that sweet, trust me.

And, since last night, it looks like Motif 8 is what we will be going with.

I also didn't realize that Karma was that type of instrument.

------------------
smile Dave smile

#74589 - 01/10/02 04:47 AM Re: Synth advice
tgalf Offline

Loc: NYC, NY USA
Dave,
******New to the world of synthesizers******

Great, but dont ever forget what you did before you came here. MUSIC... try your best to use the Motif 8, dont look to the side at other keyboards and their features....

Gear lust... a serious habitual disease in the electronic world. get your stuff and dont look back. The Motif is great but each board has its own unique features. Big deal. Return to making music and people smile.

Cheers
Thoomas

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online