SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#72899 - 04/03/00 05:52 AM Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Miguel Melo Offline

Loc: UK
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a keyboard, but I'm very split between the Yamaha DJX and the Casio CTK-631 (both about the same price). I will be using it mainly for MIDI composition, by itself and plugged to my soundcard.

From what I read, the DJX has more controllers (like the ribbon, assign wheel) that will allow me to send, for example, modulate messages - something that the casio sadly lacks... 1-0

On the other hand, I will not be playing anything remotely dance/trance. I'm looking for a keyboard to create more progressive metal, epic/classical sounding pieces. If you know the bands Dream Theater or Rhapsody, you know what I'm aiming for. I hear that the DJX only has 1 Mb for the GM samples, which leads me to believe that the CTK-631 sounds better for these voices... 1-1

On the other hand, I might be able to salvage some of the Yamaha's sounds for what I want (cool strings and such)... 2-1

But maybe I can create soaring strings and such with the CTK631 synthetiser? 2-2

So you can see my dilema... maybe those of you that know both models can help:

a) If you wanted to do prog keyboards, stuff with strings, violins and hapsichords would you still go with the DJX (and never use any of the styles etc) or the CTK631 (and lose modulation control)?

b) Is the Casio synthetiser any good?

c) Which sequencer is better? The one on the casio or on the yamaha?

Please help... thanks a lot in advance!

------------------
--
Miguel
"I have vague plans for World domination"

#72900 - 04/03/00 12:28 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
mdolmon Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio,US
I have a DJX and also once owned the Casio, I also now own a Yamaha PSR 540. If you can afford it I would suggest the 540, It has a XG soundset, and some pretty good "other voices" I happen to be a HUGE fan of DT as well as Magellin and Liquid Tension Experiment. I also do some Prog Metal stuff with by set up. If your on a budget and you want to do this kind of music the 540 would be a great way to go. You won't get the same leads as Jordan Rudess but you can squeeze some serious juice out of the board. Also the DJX can be a good choice but like I said the 540 is best for the All around kind of voices you'll need. Good luck.

#72901 - 04/03/00 04:20 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmm. I never realy heard of the casio that you are talkin about.

But I got a DJX. It has many.. And I mean many of that tehcno/dance/house music stuff on there almost to much.

I have owned a casio keyboard befor. and the diffrence between the two is that yamaha always seems to be ahead of casio by a step.

Does Casio have realtime recording [ ???? ] I know Yamaha has great recording effects.

Casio is more of house Keyboard ya know. If I were you I would go with the DJX, but it is your desicion.

I remember right befor I got my DJX I got a Casio [ becuase I could not find the DJX anywere ] And I was kicking myself in the *ss later becuase it was ... well it .. . It was just sad man. The DJX is made for making music all by yourself [ no drum machine, no this no that no bla bla bla expanion, just you your fingers, your mind and the DJX, and probably some samples ]

Welp thers my two cents.

#72902 - 04/03/00 11:31 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
rascal Offline

miguel, djx wonīt be good for that kind of music...itīs more for dance/techno/hiphop just like maryland said...like mdolmon said yamaha psr540 would be much better for your purposes...it has more voices for that kind of music and better effects...
maryland,what did you mean by saying that casio is more house keyboard?

#72903 - 04/04/00 07:17 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Miguel Melo Offline

I have had a look at the specs for the PSR-540 and they seem to be quite good (no modulation wheel, though). Unfortunately it does appear to be way out of my intended budget. I'm mainly a guitar player (and crap at that) who wants to play around with some backing keys...

I could look at the 340, but then I lose the XG support (which would be a selling point) and still pay for the floppy drive (which I could do without, to be honest).

The budget constraint is the reason I was up for either the DJX or the Casio CTK631. I know you're all rabid Yamaha fans, but I read somewhere that they actually have improved the wave synthesis on this casio model compared with older models, and increased, for example, the amount of sample space for the piano threefold.

Can this particular casio model be that bad, or is it just lack of street credit (which I can live with, to be honest)?

And, quite honestly, is the DJX any good for anything NOT dance/trance/goa/rave?

#72904 - 04/04/00 08:16 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
rascal Offline

djx won't be good if youīre not making techno/dance/trance/hiphop and so on...iīm not a big yamaha fan but i really think some keyboard from their psr-serie would be much better than casio...i don't know how it is these days but year ago or so,casios weren't very good...why donīt you just test ctk631 and if you like it,then just buy it...=)

#72905 - 04/05/00 08:07 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
House Junkie Offline

Loc: Florida USA
Actually the DJX has full General Midi onboard as well as the Rap/Techno/Dance sounds so technically you can create any music you'd like with a little creativity

#72906 - 04/07/00 09:06 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do what makes ya happy.

#72907 - 04/10/00 12:44 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
Heres a quote from the yamaha site(US)"Even if you've never played a keyboard in your life, the DJX lets you sound just like a pro -- the minute you get it out of the box!"

and if you dont believe this just listen to Maryland's tunes. Hes obviously a beginner!
Dont buy either!!!!
Go to a music store(not a k-mart or best buy) and check out whats available(you will notice that a real music store does not sale DJX's or any casios or any of the other TOYS.
Dont take advise from people who dont know shit, ask a professional.

#72908 - 04/10/00 08:32 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Oooooh! DMC - Your reply was pretty nasty, as well as UN-informed! There are plenty of "REAL" music stores that carry lower priced, automatic keyboards such as the VERY popular DJX. A "REAL" music store would have to be "REAL" stupid to ignore the obvious place that a keyboard like the DJX has in the hands of a budding hip-hop artist or interactive DJ. It's not for everyone, but it sure isn't for YOU to tell them who wants one and who doesn't. And, for the record, the more mature readers can do without the swearing, OK ? A lot of people read these postings for information. Please don't bring the level down to the gutter. Musicians have a bad enough "rep" to overcome as it is. Let's keep the respect level high, and the opinions constructive. Now, for $250 bucks, what would YOU suggest for the reader?

------------------
Uncle Dave

#72909 - 04/11/00 02:15 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Miguel Melo Offline

Hi, I'm the original poster, remember me?

Anyway, just a quick post to let you know that I bit the bullet and bought a DJX yesterday. I haven't had the chance to take it for a proper spin (e.g. haven't connected it the the PC or actually tried to play anything seriously) just played around with the knobs, ehehe... so far I'm impressed - I'll let you know.

Granted, it kills me to know that the keyboard is chock'a'block full of styles that I recognise are of good quality but I will never use (because I hate dance music)... but I felt that no other keyboard in this price range even remotely provided with these many realtime controllers.

Since I was ready to buy an Evolution keyboard controller w/ pitchbend and modwheel, then getting a DJX for the EXACT same price, with a decent synth and a couple of extra knobs with it is pretty good.

Some of the GM sounds sound a bit wheedy admitedly... and I'll be damned if Cello and Contrabass aren't exactly the same patch above a certain octave

------------------
--
Miguel

#72910 - 04/11/00 08:07 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Miguel,
When you figure out how to dominate the rest of the world, please send me a note on how to get my teenagers to clean their rooms up!
(Enjoy your DJX, just don't let DMC hear about it ! )

------------------
Uncle Dave

#72911 - 04/11/00 03:37 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Anonymous
Unregistered

DMC seems to be a lonely problem child. His parents must not love him or somethin. He talks off at the mouth and has no Idea what he is talkin about. He is obviously a baginer [ probably doesn't even own a keyboard ]. People like him need to be ignored.

#72912 - 04/12/00 04:47 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
rascal Offline

and there he/she goes again...oh god...

#72913 - 04/14/00 01:00 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Ph@yze Offline

Loc: London,England
He He good 4 u Miguel use it and enjoy it.
Thats what its all about really.

#72914 - 04/15/00 04:50 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
epu Offline

Hey Miguel! I'm from the Roland board. I saved up a whole summer to get my XP60 and it is a great board. But honestly, if the DJX would have come out the year before, I might have gotten it. Sure it lacks some features, but guess what? My Roland had Four Sliders, no knobs and no ribbon controller.

Obviously, Yamaha knew what they were doing when they put this board out. The bright colors and the low price made people skeptical, but that is honestly the best bang for the buck deal that I've seen on a keyboard for a VERY long time.

Although everything in my studio is Roland now (I'm 20, I'm not spoiled, I just really starved myself for a long time to get my gear), I am a Yamaha user since the original PSR 500M came out in 1991. The PSR540 is appealing because of the floppy, but the DJX will keep you happy for years to come. Just think about it. With the variety of sounds you get (GM + Synthy Stuff), you could take on projects out of your genre to make a few extra bucks.

I'll go now, because I've babbled a bit, but enjoy your keyboard.

The Infamous EPU.

#72915 - 04/16/00 06:10 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Miguel how the Key board commin along?

If someone asked me that question I would say great. I just about to finish my third Beat cd right about know. I used a line out to the sound card and recorded it on my computer and took out what little his it had and faded the ends.

congradulation on your keyboard Miguel. Nice to see some one running after what the want and not what is expenisve and has a lot of buttons.

#72916 - 04/18/00 01:33 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Anonymous
Unregistered

How IS THE KEYBOARD COMING?

#72917 - 04/19/00 05:48 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Miguel Melo Offline

Yeah, the keyboard is cool. I haven't had much time to play since I bought it (lots of DIY'ing about the house) but I fire it up and play around with the sounds everytime I have 15 mins to spare. This Easter weekend I have the in-laws over so no playing around then either...

As I expected, I won't find much use for any of the styles (maybe "Digital Rock"). It really is a shame they didn't include other modern but not as dancy styles (hard rock for example), but I'm alright. I don't like using stock rythms anyway.

On the other hand, I find that a lot of the DJX-specific sounds are very satisfying and readily usable on non-dance styles. It has a fair few soaring/etherial string-type sounds that are just right for progressive music, as well as metal intros and interludes.

The DSP effects albeit not too dramatic for the most part, are a nice inclusion for the price, and the reverbs are cool too.

I had the keyboard sending and receiving MIDI from the computer in no time at all, and it's the first time I did this. I don't know howcome many people have so much trouble with this.

If I have any gripes, is that some GM sounds are a bit weak (Tremolo strings for example) or sampled too low (the pianos).

Oh, and does anyone feel that the default TouchSensitivity of 3 REALLY requires you to whack the keys to get any kind of sound...

Anyway, and in all honesty, I still feel I couldn't get a better controller/synth for this price. A PSR540 would be better for GM, I guess, but I would lose modulation control and it would cost me more than twice as much (way out of my budget).

I'm a pretty happy camper.

------------------
Miguel Melo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online