SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#72909 - 04/11/00 02:15 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Miguel Melo Offline

Loc: UK
Hi, I'm the original poster, remember me?

Anyway, just a quick post to let you know that I bit the bullet and bought a DJX yesterday. I haven't had the chance to take it for a proper spin (e.g. haven't connected it the the PC or actually tried to play anything seriously) just played around with the knobs, ehehe... so far I'm impressed - I'll let you know.

Granted, it kills me to know that the keyboard is chock'a'block full of styles that I recognise are of good quality but I will never use (because I hate dance music)... but I felt that no other keyboard in this price range even remotely provided with these many realtime controllers.

Since I was ready to buy an Evolution keyboard controller w/ pitchbend and modwheel, then getting a DJX for the EXACT same price, with a decent synth and a couple of extra knobs with it is pretty good.

Some of the GM sounds sound a bit wheedy admitedly... and I'll be damned if Cello and Contrabass aren't exactly the same patch above a certain octave

------------------
--
Miguel
"I have vague plans for World domination"

#72910 - 04/11/00 08:07 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Miguel,
When you figure out how to dominate the rest of the world, please send me a note on how to get my teenagers to clean their rooms up!
(Enjoy your DJX, just don't let DMC hear about it ! )

------------------
Uncle Dave

#72911 - 04/11/00 03:37 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Anonymous
Unregistered

DMC seems to be a lonely problem child. His parents must not love him or somethin. He talks off at the mouth and has no Idea what he is talkin about. He is obviously a baginer [ probably doesn't even own a keyboard ]. People like him need to be ignored.

#72912 - 04/12/00 04:47 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
rascal Offline

and there he/she goes again...oh god...

#72913 - 04/14/00 01:00 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Ph@yze Offline

Loc: London,England
He He good 4 u Miguel use it and enjoy it.
Thats what its all about really.

#72914 - 04/15/00 04:50 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
epu Offline

Hey Miguel! I'm from the Roland board. I saved up a whole summer to get my XP60 and it is a great board. But honestly, if the DJX would have come out the year before, I might have gotten it. Sure it lacks some features, but guess what? My Roland had Four Sliders, no knobs and no ribbon controller.

Obviously, Yamaha knew what they were doing when they put this board out. The bright colors and the low price made people skeptical, but that is honestly the best bang for the buck deal that I've seen on a keyboard for a VERY long time.

Although everything in my studio is Roland now (I'm 20, I'm not spoiled, I just really starved myself for a long time to get my gear), I am a Yamaha user since the original PSR 500M came out in 1991. The PSR540 is appealing because of the floppy, but the DJX will keep you happy for years to come. Just think about it. With the variety of sounds you get (GM + Synthy Stuff), you could take on projects out of your genre to make a few extra bucks.

I'll go now, because I've babbled a bit, but enjoy your keyboard.

The Infamous EPU.

#72915 - 04/16/00 06:10 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Miguel how the Key board commin along?

If someone asked me that question I would say great. I just about to finish my third Beat cd right about know. I used a line out to the sound card and recorded it on my computer and took out what little his it had and faded the ends.

congradulation on your keyboard Miguel. Nice to see some one running after what the want and not what is expenisve and has a lot of buttons.

#72916 - 04/18/00 01:33 PM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Anonymous
Unregistered

How IS THE KEYBOARD COMING?

#72917 - 04/19/00 05:48 AM Re: Yamaha DJX vs Casio CTK-631
Miguel Melo Offline

Loc: UK
Yeah, the keyboard is cool. I haven't had much time to play since I bought it (lots of DIY'ing about the house) but I fire it up and play around with the sounds everytime I have 15 mins to spare. This Easter weekend I have the in-laws over so no playing around then either...

As I expected, I won't find much use for any of the styles (maybe "Digital Rock"). It really is a shame they didn't include other modern but not as dancy styles (hard rock for example), but I'm alright. I don't like using stock rythms anyway.

On the other hand, I find that a lot of the DJX-specific sounds are very satisfying and readily usable on non-dance styles. It has a fair few soaring/etherial string-type sounds that are just right for progressive music, as well as metal intros and interludes.

The DSP effects albeit not too dramatic for the most part, are a nice inclusion for the price, and the reverbs are cool too.

I had the keyboard sending and receiving MIDI from the computer in no time at all, and it's the first time I did this. I don't know howcome many people have so much trouble with this.

If I have any gripes, is that some GM sounds are a bit weak (Tremolo strings for example) or sampled too low (the pianos).

Oh, and does anyone feel that the default TouchSensitivity of 3 REALLY requires you to whack the keys to get any kind of sound...

Anyway, and in all honesty, I still feel I couldn't get a better controller/synth for this price. A PSR540 would be better for GM, I guess, but I would lose modulation control and it would cost me more than twice as much (way out of my budget).

I'm a pretty happy camper.

------------------
Miguel Melo
"I have vague plans for World domination"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online