Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a keyboard, but I'm very split between the Yamaha DJX and the Casio CTK-631 (both about the same price). I will be using it mainly for MIDI composition, by itself and plugged to my soundcard.

From what I read, the DJX has more controllers (like the ribbon, assign wheel) that will allow me to send, for example, modulate messages - something that the casio sadly lacks... 1-0

On the other hand, I will not be playing anything remotely dance/trance. I'm looking for a keyboard to create more progressive metal, epic/classical sounding pieces. If you know the bands Dream Theater or Rhapsody, you know what I'm aiming for. I hear that the DJX only has 1 Mb for the GM samples, which leads me to believe that the CTK-631 sounds better for these voices... 1-1

On the other hand, I might be able to salvage some of the Yamaha's sounds for what I want (cool strings and such)... 2-1

But maybe I can create soaring strings and such with the CTK631 synthetiser? 2-2

So you can see my dilema... maybe those of you that know both models can help:

a) If you wanted to do prog keyboards, stuff with strings, violins and hapsichords would you still go with the DJX (and never use any of the styles etc) or the CTK631 (and lose modulation control)?

b) Is the Casio synthetiser any good?

c) Which sequencer is better? The one on the casio or on the yamaha?

Please help... thanks a lot in advance!

------------------
--
Miguel
"I have vague plans for World domination"