SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72849 - 08/05/01 06:00 PM what music is all about
rocketmomma Offline

i realize that one has to learn technicalities in order to achieve freedom to create; however, i bought my 2 year old (now 4) a djx to enjoy (it was inexpensive enough and a "real" keyboard)and i just love watching the uninhibited joy he feels at creating music, no knowledge of midi, etc. necessary. again, i realize that this is more of a tech board, but where is the joy?

#72850 - 08/06/01 06:34 AM Re: what music is all about
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
Yeah it must be easy, even "Maryland" was able to use it....lol....

DudeManCentral

Quote:
Originally posted by rocketmomma:
i realize that one has to learn technicalities in order to achieve freedom to create; however, i bought my 2 year old (now 4) a djx to enjoy (it was inexpensive enough and a "real" keyboard)and i just love watching the uninhibited joy he feels at creating music, no knowledge of midi, etc. necessary. again, i realize that this is more of a tech board, but where is the joy?

#72851 - 08/06/01 07:02 AM Re: what music is all about
rocketmomma Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DMC:
Yeah it must be easy, even "Maryland" was able to use it....lol....

DudeManCentral

what? pardon my "unknowingness" but i cannot figure out why you would seem to be making fun of this...hopefully i am wrong. actually i cannot quite figure out what you are tying to say or if it is even a reply to my question. hmmm...

#72852 - 08/06/01 08:39 AM Re: what music is all about
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Rocketmamma
DMC is making a joke about another guy that used to hang around here (SynthZone). His name was "Maryland" and he played the DJX. And he was always going on & on about it.
If your kid is having fun & making music on the DJX - great! Whatever works.
Tom

#72853 - 08/07/01 12:15 AM Re: what music is all about
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I don't mean to spoil anyone's good time but triggering auto loops and beats is NOT making music. It's more like a paint by number approach. I appreciate the joy that can be dirived from "piecing together" the elements of a rhythm, but it's not really MAKING music, now is it?
I have a little "keylight" Casio that my 8 yr old plays with and she loves it, but she could never repeat any of the note sequences on a real piano. It's fun, and it involves music, but she's NOT a musician. Encourage your child to learn what goes INTO the making of the music. It's a gift that will travel with him forever.
These little auto toys are indeed interresting, but the players need more structured learning tools before you can call them "musicians". It's a badge of honor, and I'm proud to wear mine !
It's great that you are taking an interrest in the arts with your children. Keep up the good influence ! The discipline of learning to play an instrument will shape a child's character, and broaden their sense of self worth. It's a win/win situation!

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 08-07-2001).]

#72854 - 08/07/01 10:19 AM Re: what music is all about
rocketmomma Offline

wow...did i call my 3 yr old a musician? the overanalysis is amazing on here, and the self-importance is a joke. i'm no longer interested in what you people have to say. (btw, he usually plays simple songs note by note with it sounding like a piano(sort of) and he also can match a pitch pretty damn well for a 3 yr old so blah blah blah blah...go on about your meaningless ways)

#72855 - 08/07/01 11:58 PM Re: what music is all about
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That was harsh!
We're just adding some other insights to your conversation starter. Wasn't that the idea???????

#72856 - 08/21/01 12:38 PM Re: what music is all about
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
rocketmomma,

I agree with you. It is a joy that your child is playing with the Keyboard and it is fun.

What Uncle Dave is trying to say is since your child is showing from his early age that he is interested in music, it will be good idea to start thinking about investing in his future by thinking of taking music lessons and learning the theory behind it. This will expand his horizon. I know 4 years is very young for this, but maybe in couple of years.

#72857 - 08/21/01 12:40 PM Re: what music is all about
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
ummmmmmmmm, Mozart started playing well at the age of 4 I believe!

#72858 - 09/01/01 02:17 PM Re: what music is all about
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your child has discovered the joy of listening to music selectively, much like the thrill of operating a radio. The misinterpretation that this is musicianship is a source of pride for dance-hall DJs everywhere.
I think the responses are focusing on your phrase "joy he feels at creating music", which he is not.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online