SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72530 - 12/08/99 08:57 PM QY70 also works as an Arranger Keyboard!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi all,

I recently purchased the battery powered Yamaha QY70 and found out that in a addition to being a fantastic ultra-small (7-3/8" x 4-1/8" x 1-11/16" ; 1 lb - 2 oz) yet "full featured" sequencer & XG sound module that it can also act as an arranger keyboard in that you can midi it up to an external keyboard controller and play in "arranger keyboard style" split mode (playing chords in the left-hand triggering the QY70 to play auto-accompaniment patterns, while you play the melody in the right hand). There are a few arranger feature limitations (such as notes played left of split point 'fingered zone' do not sound and no sycro start button). Even so, the QY70 is the smallest & lightest arranger keyboard alternative available anywhere and is well suited for taking and playing on the road (car, airplane, hotel rooms, etc). The sound quality and features are awesome.

- Scott

#72531 - 12/10/99 06:17 PM Re: QY70 also works as an Arranger Keyboard!
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Scottyee,

I am glad to hear from you that you finally find a minimalistic setup for arranger that operates on battery. Can QY70 recognize inverted root chords? I think I saw someone's post(s) that it could not do it. Can you test and let me know about it? It is real nice setup on the road (car, plane) but I play a lot of chords with inverted root.
Besides, which small keyboard controller do you use with the QY70?

Paul Ip

#72532 - 12/10/99 07:46 PM Re: QY70 also works as an Arranger Keyboard!
Scottyee Offline

Hi Paul,

Yes indeed, the QY70 DOES recognize all chord inversions just like the full-sized Yamaha arranger keyboards.

The QY70 (when connected to a lightweight battery powered external keyboard controller) is an ultra small, lightweight and pro sounding arranger keyboard/sequencer suitable to take traveling.

Highly recommended for playing/recording in the car, airplane and in the professional studio too. I may even take it out for gigging because it sounds that good.

- Scott

#72533 - 12/11/99 12:37 AM Re: QY70 also works as an Arranger Keyboard!
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Scottyee,

You have not told me which battery powered miniature keyboard controller you use with Yamaha QY70. Can you recommend any?

Paul

#72534 - 12/11/99 01:41 PM Re: QY70 also works as an Arranger Keyboard!
Scottyee Offline

Hi Paul,

I currently use a Roland PC-160 (37 keys) Keyboard Controller with my QY70 as it is only 23" long and easily meets the 24" maximum length strict airline "carry on lugguge retrictions".

For playing as an arranger keyboard, the Roland PC-180 (49 keys) it would be much better as it would give you another octave for playing fingered chords in left hand and melody in right hand. The PC-180 is 32" long.

For More info on the Roland PC-160 & PC-180: http://www.edirol.com/music_equipment/keyboard_controllers/index.html

Probably the "BEST" portable battery powered keyboard controller option for the QY70 would be the Yamaha CBXK2 (49 keys) because it allows you to access all the XG functions of the QY70. The Roland PC-160 & PC-180 will not allow you to access XG. Problem is that the CBXK2 is not as "readily available" as the Roland models. I could not find any stores that keep this keyboard in their standard inventory. They would have to "special order" it.

For more info on the Yamaha CBXK2: http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.YAMCBXK2&z=613813902740

I plan to purchase the Yamaha CBXK2 because it supports all the QY70's "XG functions" in addition to its' (49 key) additional one octave advantage.

- Scott

#72535 - 12/11/99 05:33 PM Re: QY70 also works as an Arranger Keyboard!
Clif Anderson Offline

Paul

Yes the QY70 recognizes inverted chords, but if you also expect them to sound differently than they do when you play univerted chords, you might be disappointed. On my PSR-8000 G/C sounds differently than does C. On my QY70 they sound the same. Unless Scott has discovered something I missed.

In other words, the QY70 gives you the convenience of playing a chord in any inversion, but it does not give you the power to sound differently when you play different inversions.

#72536 - 12/12/99 08:49 AM Re: QY70 also works as an Arranger Keyboard!
Scottyee Offline

Hi Clif & Paul,

Yes, the QY70 plays the "same" auto-accompaniment pattern for all inversions of the same chord played, but that certainly is NOT a problem for me as I also own a Technics KN5000 "top of the line" full featured arranger keyboard, and it also plays the "same auto-accompaniment pattern for all inversions of the same chord. Since I'm never on the same chord for more than 2 measures anyway, this is never a problem for me. Instead, to add spice and variety, I play chord "substitutions" (chord substituion for F7 is B7).

I can understand how having different variations of an auto-accompaniment pattern play for each different inversion played on a chord might add more spice to the recipe but I guess since I haven't tasted it yet, I don't know what I've been missing.

Which other arranger keyboard brands other than Yamaha incorporate different auto-accompaniment variations for every inversion of the same chord? Solton, Roland, Korg, GEM?

Regards,

- Scott

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online