SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71335 - 02/04/01 07:58 PM How to Record Keyboards Internal sounds via MIDI not audio
treesha Offline

Loc: Prescott, AZ, USA
I have Cakewalk Home Studio 9, and know how set it up to record a MIDI track, and use my sy55 to play the soundcard synthesizer sounds. What I want to do is record the internal sounds I like better that are in my Yamaha sy55, via MIDI. (I know how to do it via audio.) If I set the sy55 to transmit on midi channel say 6, and enter midi channel 6 as my track source in the track dialogue box, no luck. I still cant get my sy55s internal sounds out to the track. The only success from many hours of work is in getting the sy55 as an assigned instrument, and the patch names are appearing in the track properties dialogue box. But playing the keys does not produce the sy55 sounds. I need help with all the variables !!
First, in the sy55, I am unsure how to set the local control (on or off), what midi device number to choose (1..16, all- i chose all) and, do I choose the voice I want in the sy55- if so do I select it by using the voice setting or the multi (a place to choose 16 different voices).
Phew, next, setting up the track, Cakewalk help says if I use MIDI omni for my source, I dont need to worry about the port, channel or other midi settings. Sounds great. When the sy55 sounds didnt play, I tried all kinds of combinations, with no luck. I have no idea what bank select method the sy55 uses, (read the sy55 manual ) so I tried them all. But, they do not play. Is should be a simple thing to play my sy55 into the track via midi! Help very appreciated, Treesha

#71336 - 02/05/01 06:01 AM Re: How to Record Keyboards Internal sounds via MIDI not audio
KeyboardFreak Offline

Let me see if I get this right......... you want to hook up your SY-55 to your computer via midi, record a song on Cakewalk, then be able to save that song as an Mp3 or other audio format so you can play it without the module (but still have the modules sounds)??? Is that close to right......

Correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but I don't think that's possible......... in order to "use" the sounds from the SY-55 (or any sound module for that matter) in midi, you would have to send the recorded data back from Cakewalk to the module via midi cables (or if the SY has a sequencer you could save it on there). Then the module could play it's own sounds. Remember, midi does NOT, NOT, NOT send ANY sound!!! All it does is tells the device (keyboard, module, computer, etc, etc) what instruments to use, what notes to play, how loud, how long, etc, etc. The keyboard, module, computer, etc, etc then uses it own version of whatever instrument midi tells it to play and plays the song...... so you see, you must have the module connected via midi to use it's sounds for playback. You cannot save the song with the sounds off the module as an Mp3 or whatever unless you eventually record through the audio outputs.

I was probably all wrong in what you were trying to do........ sorry if that's the case.

------------------
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

#71337 - 02/05/01 06:08 AM Re: How to Record Keyboards Internal sounds via MIDI not audio
KeyboardFreak Offline

Hmmm.... maybe I got it closer this time. Is the SY-55 a keyboard?? In that case, what it appears to me that you are trying to do is hook the keyboard up to the computer using midi, then be able to hear, play, record the sounds off the SY-55 using cakewalk?? Am I right now??? Here's the problem, like I said in my last post, midi DOES NOT send any sound AT ALL. All it does is tells the computer "hey, play this note with this instrument this loud and this long and this.... " Ok?? So what you're hearing when you press a key on the SY-55 is the computers sounds, not the SY-55's. The only way you're gonna be able to hear the SY-55's sounds during midi recording is to also hook up a midi cable to the midi "in" jack on the SY-55, and then hook up the SY-55 to an amp. This should let you hear the sounds of the SY-55. Just turn down the computers speakers so you don't hear it's sounds too.

------------------
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

#71338 - 02/05/01 11:20 AM Re: How to Record Keyboards Internal sounds via MIDI not audio
treesha Offline

Loc: Prescott, AZ, USA
Thanks. The sy55 is a yamaha synthesizer. You are getting what I would like to do, to record a track, as part of a song, with the midi out of the sy55 connected to the midi in of the computer, and use the sy55 patch, say takerimba, and have takerimba in the song, later to be on a cd. Using MIDI, not audio. Your statement -"you cannot save the song with the sounds off the module as an Mp3 or whatever unless you eventually record through the audio outputs. " is probably my answer. I have been recording the sy55 via audio and that works fine. I just like to edit midi. Also, the fact that my sy55 is now appearing as a track source option, and the names of the sy55 patches are appearing as patch options, made me think I should be able to record them into the track ! Logical I think, but maybe not the case. I am going to continue to look into this, thanks, Treesha

#71339 - 02/06/01 05:20 PM Re: How to Record Keyboards Internal sounds via MIDI not audio
KeyboardFreak Offline

Yep.... that's what I figured you were trying to do. I think there may be a way to get better sounds using soundfonts if you want to go midi only...... I've never used soundfonts though so I can't comment. As far as I know there's no way to record the sounds off a keyboard without using the audio outs.

------------------

#71340 - 02/07/01 08:51 AM Re: How to Record Keyboards Internal sounds via MIDI not audio
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Treesha,

KF is correct. Midi does not include Audio information. Yes, it does include what sample you choose on the SY55, what note, what speed, and others.

It will be a wonderful dream if we do not have to use audio cables but midi only. Something like: Extended Midi for Audio and it will pass the digital audio signal in realtime/ non-realtime with utmost accuracy and highest quality without needing any mixer or analog to digital converter or any DAC.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online