SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#71002 - 05/29/02 11:32 AM Requesting Advice on PSR9000 and/or PRO
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I am considering buying the Yamaha PSR 9000 or the PSR 9000 PRO. I would appreciate a reply and a recommendation from anyone knowledgeable about these two boards. I am thinking of buying one or the other as a companion to my KN6000. I have passed on the KN6500, and I am beginning to feel like I am going to pass on the KN7000. It seems to me that Yamaha has everything already in the PRO or as an accessory that the top end technics should have had two models back.
I have the best price so far from xxxxxx for the PRO at $2800 discounted from list price of 4000.00, no tax and just freight of maybe 40.00 or thereabouts. I did not get their price on the non pro 9000 yet but it lists for 3500.00 so comparably should be about 2450.00. I did find three new ones offered for 2200.00 in San Jose, Calif.All these prices are US Dollars for those of you in Europe/UK.
Please post advise here, on general arranger forum or on technics forum or email me at
bforrest@ix.netcom.com
Best to you and Yours
Bebop moderator of the Technics Forum

------------------
BEBOP
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

#71003 - 05/29/02 04:42 PM Re: Requesting Advice on PSR9000 and/or PRO
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: BEBOP
The PSR9000 & 9000 PRO have the good sound Jedi
talks about & also has the quality built into the keyboard
also, but they are heavy PSR9000 51lbs. 9000 PRO 45 lbs.
no speakers in the PRO .
The vocal harmonizer is great in both boards.

I have the Technics KN5000 & the 9000 PRO
I love the 9000 PRO GREAT board.
Have had the PRO 15 months & no trouble with it yet.

It took me a little while to get used to the OS on the Yamaha
as they do things different then Technics, but now I find it to
be as easy or maybe easier to use then the Technics.

If you have any questions send me a Email & I will try to help.
Enjoying the 9000 PRO
Denny

#71004 - 06/05/02 01:12 PM Re: Requesting Advice on PSR9000 and/or PRO
BEBOP Offline

HI ALL,
I am suprises that there are no Yamaha owner/players using this forum. Why is that?
There are many on the general arranger forum and several on the Technics forum that have both makes. I don't understand. Will anyone clue me in
Thanks

------------------
BEBOP
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

#71005 - 06/05/02 01:48 PM Re: Requesting Advice on PSR9000 and/or PRO
gerbo Offline

Loc: Vaassen, Netherlands
Hi BEBOP,
Why don't you wait for the new keyboard
the "TYROS" ?? then you get the best !!

GERBO

#71006 - 06/05/02 01:54 PM Re: Requesting Advice on PSR9000 and/or PRO
BEBOP Offline

Hi Gerbo,
I have researched the new tyros and it does not have near what the 9000 PRO has and is only 61 keys and my primary reasong for the addition to the recording studio is to get the 76 keys and both internal and external harddrives, to use with my Technics KN6000 and 9 other keyboards.
Thanks for your post
Bebop

#71007 - 06/06/02 06:38 AM Re: Requesting Advice on PSR9000 and/or PRO
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Bebop: I don't know why this Yamaha discussion group isn't more popular, but the arranger forum seems to be a water-cooler gathering spot for people to talk... the hot topic there right now seems to be World Cup soccer for example.

I don't know why more people don't talk about the advantages of huge polyphony, which is really necessary in an arranger keyboard and one of the main reasons I chose the 9000 Pro. The guys who love their PSR2000's won't talk about this at all. I wasn't really happy with the 9kPro until I added the Piano expansion board (which by itself has the same polyphony as the PSR2000: 64 notes). I intend to add the DX exp. board also which will add another 16 notes of polyphony, giving me a total polyphony of 208. That is not too much if you are playing the 9000Pro as it's meant, with layered sounds and accompaniment. The HD is also a necessary option and the song directory makes it easy to call up songs even while playing. Another great feature is the optional gooseneck lamps, which really help on stage (I use the 9kPro's music stand and the lamps illuminate my music also).

On the more challenging side: the 9000 Pro has a lot of voices and I have as yet to find a proper instrument definition file for it to use with Sonar. I'm also waiting on word back from Yamaha tech support to see if they can provide a 9000 Pro "model setup" for XGWorks v3. There are definitions and setups available for the PSR9000 but the 9000 Pro has different voices. I find this strange for a keyboard that has been on the market for nearly a year and a half.

Esh

http://www.mp3.com/esh

#71008 - 06/06/02 08:11 AM Re: Requesting Advice on PSR9000 and/or PRO
BEBOP Offline

HI ESH,
First let me say I was on the MP3 site the other day playing your tunes and I was really impressed with your music. You have a great talent. I see you live down in one of my favorite parts of the country where some of my kids live also.
I think the reasong the psr9000 gets more support from Yamaha is because that is their bread and butter machine and no doubt has many, many more owners clamoring for everything then the few 9000 pro keyboards out there that are mostly owned by professionals that do not whine for a lot of hand holding.
I have appreciated reading your replies on the three forums and as a result of your excellent imputs I have decided to buy the PRO. In fact I just mailed Musicians Friend in Oregon and asked them if I could run up to their store/warehouse and pick up the unit they say they have in stock, new, unused, unopened, non b stock. If they say yes then I will prolly run the 450 miles up there and get it. They have met my price match point and no tax, or freight although they will pay freight and insurance too if I don't pick it up. I await their answer. I thing the PRO would be a good fit with my KN6000 and the other 9 keyboards here in my recording studio.
Keep up the good work, Posts and especially that good music
Best regards,
Bebop

#71009 - 06/08/02 06:07 PM Re: Requesting Advice on PSR9000 and/or PRO
thomas.boenes@c2i.net Offline

Hello! :-)

I'm a Norwegian non-Pro musician (not a professional, sorry for my bad English...)

I just wanted to tell you that I've got a 9000Pro, and I just love it! :-)

I got my 9000Pro 9th of January 2002, and I've been totally happy with it all the time. Actually, I have had a few problems with the hard drive, but the trouble was caused by a damaged hard drive, so it had nothing to do with the keyboard.

In fact, my display has gone blank sometimes, but it was probably caused by the keyboard stand, the 9000Pro is a big keyboard, and needs to stand steady... :-)

Actually, before the 9000Pro, I owned a Technics KN6000, in which I also loved... But I realised that the KN6000 didn't had the best sounds possible, and that you pay a lot of money for the fancy display... I therefore decided to spend my money on MUSIC instead! :-)

I think the 9000Pro is some more tricky to use then the KN6000, but now I'm totally happy with the 9000Pro, it's the best keyboard to play! :-)

The sounds on the 9000Pro is great (the Live!Piano is for instance way better than the Grand Piano (the piano sound on the PSR9000, also included on the 9000Pro), the Sweet Pan - and the organs!!!)

Actually, the organ sound was the reason why I exchanged my Technics KN6000. It wasn't bad, but "the organ sounds on the TV" (many of the TV shows in Norway use Yamaha...) was best. And, actually, it isn't the only sound that is greater on the 9000Pro, I think all the 9000Pro sounds are just great.

I considered the PSR9000, which I actually was going to buy. But the day I should tell my music store that I wanted the PSR9000, I got the 9000Pro demonstrated - just in case. And I changed my mind immediately! :-)

Well, again, I just wanted to tell you that I love my 9000Pro! :-)

Regards,
Thomas in Norway

#71010 - 06/08/02 08:15 PM Re: Requesting Advice on PSR9000 and/or PRO
BEBOP Offline

Thank you Thomas for this excellent post. Your post makes me feel even more positive about ordering the 9000 PRO. I have one on layaway right now but don't want them to ship it until I return from an Alaska Cruise next month. I am looking forward to my return and receiving the 9000 PRO. I am sure it will fit well in my recording studio with the other keyboards. I really want the 76 key and the scsi for the hard drives both internal and external.
Thank you for your post and best to you and yours in the beautiful land of fjords.
Bebop in California, USA

#71011 - 06/11/02 07:32 AM Re: Requesting Advice on PSR9000 and/or PRO
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Well BEBOP, obviously from your other posts you went with the PSR9000 rather than the 9000 Pro, which is cool for your use I'm sure. Meanwhile I have heard back from Yamaha in a very negative way that they will not be developing an instrument defition file for the 9000 Pro to use with XGWorks, and in fact there will be no further upgrades to XGWorks at all, which is the only sequencer program I am aware of that can use the insertion effects on Yamaha's instruments, not to mention some of the expansion card editors. I've posted the details of Yamaha's reply in the Arranger forum. This is very disappointing since I cannot find any sequencing program that can fully access all of the voices in the 9000 Pro currently. It looks like the closest I will be able to get will be to expand an existing PSR9000 definition file for use with the 9000 Pro in Sonar, then save my sequences and reopen them in XGworks so I can use the insertion effects. This is a major strike in my book against Yamaha... their XGworks program won't allow you to create your own instrument definition file (they call it "model setup") and though Yamaha could easily expand on their existing PSR9000 model setup to accomodate the 9000 Pro, they have clearly said that they will not do so. If Yamaha will not go to a little effort to support their "flagship" instrument for it's small but professional user base, I am now dubious about their commitment to fully support any of their products. As my way of returning the favor, I am looking for a tasteful way to block their name from my 9000 Pro when I play it on stage.

------------------
Esh
http://www.mp3.com/esh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online