SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#70556 - 09/23/10 04:25 AM loading midi to files
rotty Offline

Loc: england
I found Bill's advice helpful on loading midi to sd card , is it possible to load a midi to a styles file on the sd card?
If yes could some one please advice me.
Loading to the playlist is ltd to 20 but loading to a styles file I could find by looking alphabetically with no restrictions on numbers.
Or have i got this wrong or missed something?
thanks in advance Joe

#70557 - 09/24/10 12:01 AM Re: loading midi to files
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Rotty,

When you load an SD Card, to the right of the screen you will see the option to load by Folder, Alphabet or Number. I believe this is relevant to whatever data is stored on the card.

Click on the Alphabet and you will see all your songs are immediately sorted in alphabetical order, make your choice and load. Try it and see if it works for you.

Audrey

#70558 - 09/24/10 03:26 AM Re: loading midi to files
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya Rotty
Download your midi from your computer onto a floppy disk. Put the floppy disk into the floppy disk slot in your KN7000. If the KN7000 screen doesn't change press the disk load button. Press 'load' screen button. Change load as to GM/GM2 to NX. Select midi file that you want to load on screen. Press screen load button. Press the big yellow SD Load button. Press Load on screen. Select free Folder/song space and press on screen load.
You can then as you suggest find that midi alphabetically with no restrictions on numbers.

#70559 - 09/24/10 05:05 AM Re: loading midi to files
rotty Offline

Thank you both very much for your help.
I now know what I am trying to ask.
I have styles that I have saved on my computer and I can load all these in one go up to the cards capacity to a s.d card and load all and use in the kn7000.I have several dvd's with a round a 1000 midi tunes on each.If I save them to the computer and then save to the s.d card the kn7000 does not recognize them.
So I guess I need to convert the midi files on the dvd to the same format as the styles for the kn7000 to recognize them.Also if I down load a midi file from the internet on to a floppy it recognizes it in the kn7000 but if I save them same internet downloads to an s.d card the kn7000 does not recognize them.
So again I guess I need to convert the format of the file.Thnks for any help Joe

#70560 - 09/24/10 08:14 AM Re: loading midi to files
technicsplayer Offline

the sd load by alphabet will not work for midi files, and neither will they be seen just be loading them as nx, you would need to save them ALL individually as nx first.

my method for fast load of many midi files is described in the link here http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/005246.html

you could save as technics files and then load by alphabet but it is not necessary as 999 midi files can be saved on an sd card with 99 playlists so all you have to do is create 26 playlists a to z and load the relevant midis to those playlists (only 26 operations needed as opposed to 1000 saves!)to have a quick alphabet select load without using any technics spaces on the card.

#70561 - 09/24/10 08:19 AM Re: loading midi to files
technicsplayer Offline

postscript: each playlist has a limit of 99 songs so if any are greater than this just copy the songs to T1 and T2 etc.

#70562 - 09/25/10 01:08 PM Re: loading midi to files
rotty Offline

Thank you very much for the answer.
From my very very limited knowledge I can save styles to computer and then save to a s.d card
in very large batches instantly.
If I do the same with a midi file Technics does not recognize that format so does not show it or load it.
So is there a programme or a way of converting midi files to the same format as styles?
If there was i could save all the thousands of midi files i have on computer and save to s.d card in large batches witch i would not have to sort as they would load alphabetically.
The other way I create 26 playlists load 20 midi files at a time to a floppy load to the kn7000 which is very slow and they will go anywhere so then i have to move them around to the 26 slots.
Please forgive me if i this all wrong and the only way is to do it the second way then so be it I will go that way I want to be sure there is no quicker way.
Thanks for your patients regards Joe

#70563 - 09/25/10 02:58 PM Re: loading midi to files
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi joe,
Reading through your posts, I think there is some confusion in your mind about the various file formats used in the KN7000. I realise that you are probably a relatively new owner of your KN7000 and some explanation may help............

An external KN7000 format Style file loads either from Floppy Disk or SD Card, into the COMPOSER section of the Auto-Accompaniment system and comprises one or more Variations of a repetative loop - similar to any of the Built-In Styles in the RHYTHM GROUP. There are usually 4 Variations within a Style and each Variation can be up to 16 measures in length. The thing to note is that when a selected Variation is played, it just keeps going round in an endless Loop until another Variation is selected or the style is stopped. In itself, a Style is usually generic rather than specific - in other words, it can be used as an accompaniment to several different songs or tunes. You can regard most of the Built-In KN7000 styles as generic. However, Styles can be built to fit specific songs or tunes. External Style Files can also be loaded up to 20 at a time into the CUSTOM MEMORY of the KN7000. Put briefly, a Style File is purely a means of providing an Auto-Accompaniment..........

A MIDI File is totally different to a Style - it is generally a complete multi-track SEQUENCE of a specific song or tune - not an Accompaniment Loop. This being the case, you cannot regard a MIDI file as a replacement for a Style - it is basically a complete recording of a song or tune, which may or may not include the actual Melody line. However, you can if you wish, locate which track of the MIDI file contains the Melody line, mute the track and then play along with it.

As far as converting a MIDI File to a Style is concerned, there is no direct way of achieving this and as far as I am aware, such a conversion program does not exist. Having said that, it is possible within the KN7000's operating system, to extract some of the data from a MIDI File and build a Style from some of the tracks of the MIDI File. However, it is quite a long and fairly involved process to create just one complete Style from a MIDI and I'm sure you would not wish to do this for the '1000s' of MIDI files on your PC !

You have already been advised in a previous post in this thread, how to transfer multiple MIDI Files from your PC to an SD Card. This is the only way to carry out the transfer - just Copying and Pasting or Dragging and Dropping from a folder on your PC directly to an SD Card in a Reader/Writer, will not work.

Finally, you state "...I can save styles to computer and then save to a s.d card in very large batches instantly." Would you care to explain in more detail, exactly what you mean by this ?

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#70564 - 09/25/10 03:32 PM Re: loading midi to files
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rotty:
The other way I create 26 playlists load 20 midi files at a time to a floppy load to the kn7000 which is very slow and they will go anywhere so then i have to move them around to the 26 slots.

No, follow my instructions and you can load up to 99 songs to a playlist very quickly, obviously in batches of alphabetically sorted which will require no moving around. Forget floppies, they are a waste of time compared to sd.

[This message has been edited by technicsplayer (edited 09-25-2010).]

#70565 - 09/25/10 03:37 PM Re: loading midi to files
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
As far as converting a MIDI File to a Style is concerned, there is no direct way of achieving this and as far as I am aware, such a conversion program does not exist.

It does, the EMC software can do it, as did the far cheaper Song to Style floppy. The auto results were somewhat hit and miss, but not bad with some editing. A few tweaks of the manual options gave quite reasonable results including variations, fills, intros and endings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online