SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7043 - 08/19/06 07:21 PM Re: Buying older gear.
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Yeah, well I'm still trying to figure out why it's taking KORG so long, to put their new K61 keyboard controller out? I mean how long deos it take to make a keyboard controller?

#7044 - 08/20/06 06:54 AM Re: Buying older gear.
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
I heard this from someone and I have no factual basis of it, but it seems like there may be some truth to it regarding production of electronic musical instruments. Keyboard production by manufacturers is supposedly somewhat similar to other higher end item manufacterers in that there is a timing involved with the release of items due to several factors. Releasing a new product costs money that carries a higher risk factor.. Manufacterers try to minimize this risk as to not release an item "ahead of its time". New item sales must exceed, or at least be close to a manufacterers "old faithful" product's sales in order to be successfull in the continuence of its production. Unfortunately, in other words, production is not done in the spirit of the items functionality or purpose. Instead, it is produced in the spirit of business, or more specifically, its profitability. Where I see the truth in this is the fact that; no matter how great an item may be, if it does not meet the current trend of functional use or needs, its chances for continued success are minimal because it will likely not generate enough sales to pay for the costs of initializing its existance into the marketplace. This explains all those items that were produced for 1-3 years or so and then were dropped in production only to wind up 10 years later in insatiable demand. Planting a seed you they hope will be a cucumber but only winds up a coctail pickle that later on miraculasly becomes the watermelom everyone wants. As much that manufacterers desire to take the credit of great pioneering items, very rarely does a new truly great product hit the ground with its feet running in high profit mode. The more common instance is the item becoming buried in promotional marketing costs for at least the first year of its production and does not see black ink in its production until a year or two later, and that is a successful item. This may help us understand why these manufacterers throw the seeds of promotion out way ahead of time; before the prints are approved for production in any great quantity, and also why they wind up releasing items late of their scheduled availability date. All manufacterers want to be known for their great pioneering achievments in their industry, but not at the cost of their existance.

#7045 - 08/20/06 03:58 PM Re: Buying older gear.

Okay MORPH, but why would Korg, advertise a new keyboard, that was introdued back in January, at the 2006 Winter NAMM show, but not release it until August?

#7046 - 08/21/06 11:12 AM Re: Buying older gear.
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Roland pulls the same shot with their new products. Providing that Korg is not having problems in its production, it is not a very cool thing to do, but what it does do is put a high spike in the initail sales of the item which makes it more likely for its continued survival. It is not a very good business model to follow because it pisses people off and comprimises the integrety of a companies word. When they say it will be ready at a certain time, add 6 months to that date. You're not the only one who dislikes it when they do that. Roland released the dirt box VP-9000 almost a year late. Many people got so fed up with waiting that they just got something else. I should have too. I got one and was real dissapointed. It does all it says it can do, as long as you don't mind the dirt it adds to the effects as well. Whoever listed the noise specifications for that device needs to recalibrate their equipment.

Pete

#7047 - 08/21/06 01:10 PM Re: Buying older gear.

Well, I'm starting to have my doubts with KORG. It is rather, frustrateing to pre-order a product only to find out it won't be released for sveral months. I just hope when my K-61 does finally arrive, I am not dissaponinted. I have also noticed, that, these companies have not produced a synth with a "WOW" Factor. Other companies, have fallen into the same area, as the Big 3. Clavia introduced the NORD Lead well over 10 years ago, and that was a break through synth, for the time. But I haven't seen, another synth like that. They Just kept updateing the same synth. Oh sure, they made the Nord Stage, but even that is being repackaged now as well. Even Access, I have not seen them come out with a "wow" synth. The whole virus line seems the same. I have a feeling Waldorf will do the same as well. Kurzweil, now that they are back in business, are still making updaeted versions of their earlier keyboards. Although, about a year ago, they were going to make a VA synth, but that fell thoguh, due to finacnal issues, with in the company, plus they were not sure if they were going to survive, but they have.

At least Alesis introduced a few WOW! Synths, like the Andromeda, ION, and now Fusion workstations. Oberheim had the OB-12, but I don't think it was well received.

Ensoinq had a unique idea, with the FIZMO, but they got bought out by E-mu. Of course they have not made a "WOW" Synth either.

I was happy, when Moog Music, became a company once again, and I am glad they did make a new synth. I just wish they had come up with something new, other then updateing the Minimoog. Although there are people who love the fact Bob had done this, and made his company successful once more. I will also, admit that the new Little Phaty is different.

I will give Dave Smith credit, for comeing up with a whole new synth, instead of updateing the Prophet 5.

I know there were a few times, when a comapny made a synth, that had a major impact on the world. ARP: had the odyssey, Moog had the Mini,E-mu, the Emulator Ensoniq had the Mirage, and ESQ-1, Clavia the Nord Lead, Korg the M1, Roland the D-50 and Yamaha the DX-7, Alesis, the Andromeda.

I am getting the feeling that KORG, ROLAND, and YAMAHA, are more content, to just keep updateing the same keyboard, over and over again. Either that or I am becoming jaded with these companies, for not making something really new.

#7048 - 08/21/06 04:46 PM Re: Buying older gear.
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Actually Access Virus TI line is pretty ****ing "WOW"!!!
At least when compared to the Virus classic and the Virus C.

Clavia Nord modular and modular G2X are a hell of a lot more than just repackaged Nord Lead. Too bad Tek isn't here to give you a well deserved spanking.

Roland V-Synth is just amazing - period. I can't use one to it's full potential because of my visual disability. But if it had a less 'visual' interface I'd get one right now.

DSI Evolver is pretty impressive too. I was simply blown away with all the demos. Sounds bigger and more advanced than any mono synth I've ever used. THe Poly Evolver is indeed overpriced and not worth the money but the Evolver keyboard and desktop are definitely on my wanted list.

There are a lot of "wows". I'm just fed up with all the teasing and waiting.

Just got an e-mail from Access support. They claim that they are expecting TIs to ship at the end of the month. If it's not here on september 1st, I'm pulling the plug. They can tell their stories about TIs "coming soon" to someone else. I've had it.

Waldorf are indeed continuing with some of their product line. They have announced the release of some new synth for the NAMM 2007 but there are no details of any sort. Will just have to wait.

So here you go. There are some good synths. Expensive may be. In some cases even terribly overpriced but that's always been this way.

BTW, Is that Korg you're waiting for *just a controller(? Because if it is there isn't much to be amazed/disapointed about. The software M1 LE that it ships with isn't worth the big wait. For the price you can get a 61-key CME UF series controller and a Korg Legacy collection pack.

I like CME. BOught one for my setup in the office. Feels just like the DX7. Way way way better quality KB than M-Audio stuff. Great bang for the buck.

cheers,
-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 08-22-2006).]

#7049 - 08/22/06 02:40 AM Re: Buying older gear.

Thanks Ed! Yeah, it's just a controller keyboard.

#7050 - 08/22/06 05:40 AM Re: Buying older gear.
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
How much is it?

-ED-

#7051 - 08/22/06 02:27 PM Re: Buying older gear.

$179.99 from Sweetwater.

#7052 - 08/24/06 02:49 PM Re: Buying older gear.

Just got an email, from Sweetwater. My Korg K-61 just came in, and has been shipped. I will receive it, on Saturday August 26, 2006. Woo hoo!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online