SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#70340 - 07/06/10 01:23 AM Use of SD Cards
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Reading the posts on the 'use of SD cards' made me realise how different theories apply to how one plays the instrument. - By 'ear' or by 'written music'. ? That is the question. ! Thus, my use of SD cards, is based solely on what I need as an 'ear' player. A method/system of usage which I doubt many 'music' readers would find to be useful to them. ?

Firstly - I set up in all 8 panel memories of any bank, - voice mixes-rhythms-tempos, to suit a particular need. Say - Playing a Quickstep for dancing. On my SD card, under any folder I now name the dance . In the adjacent 'song' folders I list 20 song titles, all of which can be played as a quickstep. The whole of this set-up is then saved to the card.

Resulting in:- A complete list of 20 song titles, which I can chose from when playing a Quickstep set. 8 of which I don't even need to press any buttons for. - At the same time, I've also got at my disposal 8 different voice mixes, which can be readily selected (in my case by hand rather than a footswitch), to coincide with the song and dance style.

All of which means - that because no written music comes into the equation, all the ear player needs on-screen is a list of song titles - dance types - and voice mixes. All at the touch of a button. In essence, this means that my SD card is storing an entire 'scenario'. Nothing else is needed. Not so, I would suggest, for those who play from the dots. !! Their scenario and their requirements are somewhat different. - But, it matters not. Long live all players, and the SD cards that keep us happy. - Colin Leaney.

#70341 - 07/06/10 08:10 AM Re: Use of SD Cards
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
And once more Mr Leaney gives a different quality opinion on the same subject. I would expect no less from this gentlemen. I know this man because I have heard his music.

John C.

#70342 - 07/06/10 11:55 AM Re: Use of SD Cards
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I have also heard Colin’s work and it is magnificent. So I wouldn’t pretend to question his methods.

But to clarify, assuming you need 8 panel memories for each song, it seems to me that you are limited to 8 variations (24 if you switch banks) of voicing and rhythms and would have to select from those same 8 variations for all 20 songs. And, that you have identical panel memories in each of the 20 SD card locations, each of which has a different song name. Since you are using SD memory locations for each of the 20 songs, couldn’t you also select unique voicing and rhythm variations for each of the songs and put that in the 20 memory locations? You would then have unique setups for each song. Maybe I do not fully understand what you wrote. It doesn’t seem to me that it matters whether you are playing by ear or reading the dots.

#70343 - 07/08/10 07:05 PM Re: Use of SD Cards

Setting up my SD card
Using the information that has been given I decided the best way for me to use my CD card is to is to record a song, or setup panel memories and then place it in the Favorites (IN CD card)

This gives me a style playing or a song along with the panel memory to select the instrumentation (Trumpet, Piano, Saxes, ect.) I can add to the On Touch Play. A bank of at least eight and more areas to setup instruments, and there are 84 to 103 areas to save in. Great I have a style or a song to play with many instrument setups waiting.

Problem:
After loading a song or a panel set up from Favorites my panel memory changes to extended it does not stay on Normal so that I may use the panel memories for instruments. I have lost my ability to select the instruments without changing styles. What is the best way, if it can be done, to keep the memory mode on Normal. I do understand that I can save the song or the setup with A, B, and C panel memories and use them without trying to change the Panel mode to Normal.

Any thoughts, John C. and thanks

#70344 - 07/09/10 04:45 AM Re: Use of SD Cards
Bob Hendershot Offline

I am not sure that I fully understand why you are doing what you are doing. But I can say that when you load from a Favorites location, the panel memories will return to whatever mode they were in when you saved them to the SD card.

#70345 - 07/09/10 05:29 AM Re: Use of SD Cards
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Program menus button - select panel memory mode on screen - select normal on screen.
Then SD Card yellow button and select save and Technics format on screen - enter name of song and name of folder - go to page 2 and make sure that 'current panel' on screen says 'yes'...
Rog

#70346 - 07/09/10 07:38 AM Re: Use of SD Cards
Bob Hendershot Offline

IT’S HARD TO LET GO of a method of playing that has served us well for such a long time . . . When I was playing the KN5000 I loaded as many panel memories as I could, as well as custom memory, so that I wouldn’t have to re-load until I had played for an hour or so. I found myself quickly poking at the keyboard buttons when I felt a need to change voicing or rhythm variation. And, I got pretty good at hitting the intended button before returning to the playing keyboard. But, too often, I would select a voice that was too loud or too soft for the background rhythm, or a rhythm variation that had a part that did not fit well with the voicing I was using, and I would have to scramble for changes to get things back in order.

When I upgraded to the KN7000 I played the same way. It took about 6 months before I began to realize that there were better ways. At first I only allowed the panel memories to select voicing and I still poked at the rhythm variation buttons. Then I realized that I could edit composer parts to match background voicing with right hand voicing and things began to sound much better. I found that I could LET THE PANEL MEMORIES DO THE WORK. And, I finally realized that the SD card was so fast that I could get an entirely new keyboard setup in three or four seconds. That meant that if I wasn’t playing a medley, I could use a different keyboard setup for every song. I could set up panel memories that had right hand voicing and background voices and rhythms that complimented each other. I no longer needed to poke at buttons while I was trying to change chords or whatever. That is what led me to the way I play today, as I described in another thread. Now my hands seldom leave the playing keys and I never have to worry about selecting an inappropriate rhythm or voice.

It doesn’t matter if I am playing by memory (I don’t call that playing by ear) or using a lead sheet. The music sheet doesn’t tell me what voice to use nor when to make a change. You just “feel” that when you are playing.

#70347 - 07/09/10 10:13 AM Re: Use of SD Cards
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Bob's method is basically the same as one of the systems which I use. I have a complete set-up for every different song/tune in Panel Memories - normally using up to 8 locations of Bank 'A' - but if I need more variations within the song, then I also use Bank 'B'. I use a footswitch to advance through the Panel Memories whilst playing. Each song is individually saved, under its title, to a location on SD Card and as Bob says, it only takes 3 - 4 seconds to re-load a new song set-up.

If you are playing for dancing and even the 3-4 seconds is still a 'time' problem, then you can shave a little off this time by doing two things :

1. When you save your songs to SD Card, don't save unnecessary components such as Performance Pads, Effects Memory, Edited Sounds etc. (assuming they have not been used within the song set-up). Go to Page 2 in the 'SAVE' screen and turn them Off, before saving to SD Card.

2. If you use a style ending in your song, then immediately after you press the 'ENDING' button and whilst the Ending is playing, press the yellow 'SD Load' button followed by the On-Screen 'LOAD' button to display the song list. Scroll to your next song and then as soon as the Style Ending has finished, press the On-Screen 'LOAD' button. The next song will then load more quickly, since you are not waiting for the first song to end, before carrying out the first three of the necessary button pushes, to load the next song. I find this method only takes about 1.5 seconds to fire up the next song......

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#70348 - 07/09/10 03:14 PM Re: Use of SD Cards
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
My method is the same as Bill's and Bob's,except I don't bother to do a page two save. Everthing is saved in extended mode as is. If there is a reason not to do this,I haven't found it yet.

#70349 - 07/09/10 04:33 PM Re: Use of SD Cards

Clarity needed by me – It must be my heavy Italian accent, here I go.

First – Thank you for your patients.

1-I enjoy having 5 banks with 8 panel memories with instrument set up.
The Piano is playing and the drums lay back and the bass stays steady and some of the accomp. Are lowered.
The sax section or brass plays and the drums drive more and the bass gets strong with a left hand is chording with a strong brass sound.

2-The 4 sounds from the music arranger are not enough. Setting 8 memories for a song is good but with tongue-in-cheek I feel it is confining.

3-When I use the panel memory in extended I lose the above.

4-So I thought that when I loaded from the favorite I would have the style the 4 OT settings and my panel memories, but something in the favorites is changing the panel memory from normal to extended.

I may be looking for the impossible but the impute I am getting here it may still make it possible if I add the ideas you have given me about the SD card. Bob, be patient I’m almost there. I just love digging in and discovering.

Thank you again, John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online