SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68591 - 05/30/09 04:43 PM Hopefully a LONG LIFE
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
I have had my KN7000 for about 6 years now. When first new I had to have 3 of the major big boards replaced. Since then it has performed wonderfully in all respects.

I hope that it will last for many years yet. What are the thoughts of other KN7000 owners as to how long you think the KN7000 will last

My daughter has a KN3000 that is much older and is still running like new. I hope that's a good indication as to the long life expectation of the KN7000. What do you think.. What is your experience?

Larry Gosmeyer

#68592 - 05/30/09 05:01 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
My old KN5000 is still going strong at a friend's home. But, I'm in the process of buying a second KN7000 to store away, just in case I lose the one I am playing. Those two should last me as long as I can play. I always unplug the KN when I am not playing just to be sure it is not damaged by an electrical storm or voltage spike and treat it as carefully as I can.

#68593 - 05/31/09 02:56 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Larry,
I would be absolutely lost without my beloved KN7000 and like Bob, I have purchased a second KN7000 as an 'insurance policy' just in case..........

Like any piece of electronic gear, it is almost impossible to say how long it will last before giving up the ghost. It would seem that your experience with your KN7000 was typical of the 'Bathtub Effect'

Quote "The Bathtub Effect is shown as a curve on a graph, depicting the failure rate of a piece of equipment over time. The outline of the curve typically assumes the shape of a bathtub. In the initial phase the failure rate is higher, becoming progressively lower as the equipment is worn in and faults are mended. The curve is then flat until the equipment begins to breakdown again at the end of its normal working life".

Bob's recommendation of unplugging from the mains supply is certainly a good precaution. I don't do this myself but I do use a surge protected extension lead, through which my KN7000 and its associated computer equipment is connected to the domestic mains supply.
The only minor fault which I have on one of my KN7000s is associated with the Start/Stop button, which occasionally fails to operate correctly. It is just a switch contact problem and doesn't worry me too much, since I just use a footswitch instead.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68594 - 05/31/09 02:58 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Have had my 7000 from new thankfully only use mine in the home but I play everyday so would be totally devastated if anything happened to it sounds a silly statement I know but this is my main hobby how people manage when they go out entertaining with the KN under their arm heaven knows because lets face it most of our registrations and songs are stored on SD cards and as far as I know there is no other keyboard that as an SD card slot.
I guess the topic as already been mentioned some time ago now but is there another keyboard that comes close to the KN7000
Long Live The KN7000

#68595 - 05/31/09 06:50 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Tell you what Cass - my KN7000 gets heavier to carry around the more stuff I save on my SD Card - now why is that I wonder...

#68596 - 05/31/09 07:59 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Roger, have you realised that as you get older, everything gets heavier, including your SOH.
Ray
How are my CD's going?? have you burned them yet?

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68597 - 05/31/09 08:30 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
In my early days back in 1988 before I discovered Technics keyboards I had a Yamaha HS8 electone it cost me an arm and both legs now that is what you call heavy

#68598 - 05/31/09 10:33 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I still have and sometimes still play my technics KN800. I bought it May of 1990 so it is now 19 years old. It has played a ton of gigs and hauled around in the RV for a few years too. It has never missed a lick nor has it's optional disc drive. It is built like a tank.
I sold the other four KN's. I think this one will last forever.
Bebop

#68599 - 05/31/09 12:22 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
RMepstead Offline

Having used 'em on a recent radio programme, Ray, I sent your CD's off to Simon Cowell as he claims to hate keyboards, so that he can hear just what can be done even upside down...chuckle...
Rog

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 05-31-2009).]

#68600 - 05/31/09 05:15 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Well Larry,

You pose a question, with an impossible answer. My KN7000 was the first to arrive in Los
Angeles and has been played every day since and has recorded 42 CD’s. I’d be totally
lost without it. As a result, the first of this year I purchased another one which I store in a
very good case at the venue I play at each month. This saves me from having to move the board, which seems to get heavier each year. I feel pretty much the same way Bob
does. The two instruments will very likely out live me.

I think Bob’s caution about voltage spikes is a smart one. I use a very powerful surge
protector as Bill does. A few years ago an organ manufacturer brought a beautiful new organ to my music club meeting and just as they started their demo there was a lighting strike which completely knocked out the organ.

Larry, I hope your KN7000 keeps turning out those beautiful arrangements as long as any one of us can hear them.

Frank

#68601 - 05/31/09 10:22 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Roger, should I know Simon Cowell, I feel the name is familiar but.....that memory again.
Incidentally, to all you KN7 owners, I am extremely jealous of yor possessions. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to own one. Pretty scarce down here, and I still have to get past "The Gardener"
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68602 - 06/01/09 09:27 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
RMepstead Offline

Simon Cowell Influential judge on 'American Idol' TV show and 'Britains got Talent' TV show...
Rog

#68603 - 06/01/09 02:48 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
I can't bear to think that my KN7000 will ever die on me - the blood runs cold at the thought. The KN7 was so far ahead of it's time that it can still hold it's own today - still mainly good sounds and the styles in general, both on-board & 3rd party, still can't be bettered by the latest boards.I can't imagine what a KN8 or KN9 would be like if Panasonic hadn't pulled the plug on Technics keyboard division - they must have been completely mad.
I also have a Tyros3 but the KN7 is still the board I prefer to play - I even have a Technics SMAC 1200 module that I couldn't bring myself to part with. Glad that there are still some Technics lover's around.
Tony, Sheffield

#68604 - 06/01/09 03:07 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
Hi Larry

You have started a very interesting subject.
I traded in my KN5000 for a KN7000 on the very first day they were available at my local music store. Until reading your post I didn’t realise how paranoid I am about losing my precious KN7000. Every time I lift the main panel I’m looking for signs of wear in the hinges and when pressing the On button I feel a great sense of relief when the screen displays the normal ‘picture’. My unfounded view is that every button has a certain number of presses before it wears out and fails, so I am very reluctant to press any of the buttons more than I have to, like the Program Menu, Page Up / Page Down, Start / Stop ect. I know this is totally ridiculous and its holding me back from experimenting with this fantastic keyboard.

I have a couple of expensive guitars and effects units but their demise is nothing compared to my KN7000.

Glen

#68605 - 06/01/09 03:31 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello All,

I also had two KN7s but recently traded in the older model for a Tyros 3 as it was offered at a very good price complete with speakers and my feeling was that at sometime or another, I would have to change.

At first I thought I had made a very expensive mistake as I found the T3 to be very User 'Unfriendly' so much so, I decided to give myself 6 months to 'master' it by which time if I hadn't, I would get rid of it. With the help of many good friends and some demonstration DVDs I am glad to say I am beginning to understand the system and can see the potential of the T3. It certainly has a great sound system and comes with a hard-drive for storage (one of the deciding factors for me).

However, the KN7 is still my first love and I still take it out on 'gigs' because of its reliability and ease of use and of course, I enjoy playing it.

Long live the KN7.....

Audrey

#68606 - 06/01/09 05:13 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I had three different KN7000 keyboards and I must agree with most of what is being said.
1- I have sold all my Kn7000 keyboards and I do miss having one.
2- It is my opinion that most Kn7000 keyboard players stay with their keyboards because they feel at home, they are comfortable.

I totally understand the feeling considering the fact that I have owned and played on every Technics keyboard since the Kn1000 – and considering the knowledge I have in the Technics area, when I sold my keyboards I could have written a how to do book on most of the keyboard. To duplicate that knowledge in a Yamaha or Roland or Korg I would have to spend a great deal of time – which I do not have. So I do agree all that is being said.

However for people like our friend Audrey who ventured and entered a different world there is so much ahead, she may even cash in her comfort zone for a new experience. After all that’s how most of us got to our Technics keyboards.

Audrey, my thought for you is to put aside all that you know about your Kn7000 and zero in on how Yamaha designed the Ty3 to be used. Each time you make a break through I can hear you saying, “I can’t believe what this keyboard can do”. The many people who are involved in creating the Ty3 have not been siting without creating some ting special.

Having said all that I am in the middle of purchasing a Kn5000 – Some people you can never please. (grin)

John C.

#68607 - 06/02/09 04:36 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Yes you are right John, after the initial shock of the change which was done quickly simply because it was a one-off deal on offer, and the help of a very good friend who knew I was struggling with the technology and bought me the two DVDs of introduction which in turn showed me exactly what I was doing wrong, I finally began to settle down and appreciate just how much the T3 is capable of.

Having said that, unless you are prepared to accept the challenge of learning a completely different system, I wouldn't recommend the 'feint-hearted' to go down that road.... stick with the Technics instruments which are still a pleasure to play.

Audrey

#68608 - 06/02/09 07:09 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE

Audrey quote:
Having said that, unless you are prepared to accept the challenge of learning a completely different system, I wouldn't recommend the 'feint-hearted' to go down that road.... stick with the Technics instruments which are still a pleasure to play.

I'm with Audrey on this one, John c.

#68609 - 06/03/09 06:09 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
K1 & K2 Offline

Loc: Rockhampton, Queensland, Austr...
I have owned my KN7 for nearly 7 years. I use it on gigs every Saturday Night. The only fault that has developed is with the "Bank View Button".

It required numerous presses of the button to activate the Bank View Screen. The fault was traced to be a dry joint on the PC board under the switch.

I'm still very happy with this board as it offers most of the features I need. With the astronomical prices being asked of hard to find 2nd.hand KN7's downunder, it seems hard to justify the purchase of a back-up KN7, when at sometime in the future, the need to purchase a new keyboard will become necessary.

Regards,
Alan

#68610 - 06/03/09 08:33 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
RMepstead Offline

Hi Alan
I'm fascinated by why you found it necessary to use the Bank View Screen so often....?
Rog

#68611 - 06/14/09 01:48 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
In the Netherlands my keyboard retailer has a really nice, new looking KN7000 occasion:
http://www.keyboard-centrum.nl for the address

------------------

#68612 - 06/17/09 06:49 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Bought my 1st 7K when they first hit the market.... I had owned/played the 1K, 3K, 5K and 6K.... This Feb. I bought Jim Laing's 7K for my gig board and back up. Still have the 6K as well....
My feeling is that surely one will last as long as I do!
The other day at my gig, a friend who is a great piano player, about 13 years my senior, wanted to know where she could get one like my 7K.... She has heard me play the 6K as well. Her comment was, "I have never heard a better arranger KB"...

AUDREY.... When you reach a point of comfort with that T-3, will you give us a comparitive opinion on that machine and the 7K?

ROGER.... The Bank View button is most likely to wear out first on my boards....I use it to store all my tweaked rhythms/registrations.... use it frequently as I turn pages and select just the right rhythm to play to.....

I would love to know how others use the Panel Memory banks????

Elizabeth..

I cannot imagine doing without my 2 7K's....

------------------

#68613 - 06/17/09 07:20 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Bob Hendershot Offline

I now have two 7K’s and a KN2600. I think they will outlast me.

Elizabeth, I load a new setup for every song. Most of my setups are available to me via the Favorite Songs menu. If I don’t have it there, I load by number for the SD memory location. I have the SD memory location noted on each song sheet. It takes less than 5 seconds to load a completely new setup for each song. I normally only use panel memory Bank A but sometimes use more panel memories than 8 and spill over into bank B. Don’t recall ever needing more than 16 panel memory setups for a song. As I play the song, I use foot pedals to move from panel memory to panel memory, almost always moving up to the next memory location. What this all means is that I almost never press any of the panel memory or bank buttons when I am playing. I do it all with foot switches. I do use the buttons when I am creating a song setup.

This also means that I don’t need or use Custom Memory for song setups and really don’t need more than banks A, B, and C of the panel memories.

#68614 - 06/17/09 07:54 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
Panel Memory -- I arrange all of my songs using the Sequencer and I use the Panel Memory banks to record any and every change I make in the sequencing of my arrangements (which includes: tempo, Rhythm and Variations, and Sound selections.

I can usually contain these changes into Bank A but sometimes have to go into Bank B.

Of course, the arrangement automatically calls up the proper Panel Memory from Part 5 of the sequencer.

I couldn't do without the Panel Memory Banks.

Larry Gosmeyer

#68615 - 06/18/09 02:08 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE

Interesting “THE HOPEFULLY A LONG LIFE” post has changed to how I use my keyboard --- different but also nice.

How a person uses the registrations and favorites depends on what am they are trying to accomplish. Not to long ago my aim was to have quick access to the next song I wanted to play, I knew that too much time between songs is a no, no, when you are playing for a group of people the time between song can be harmful. I needed to search my list of songs and go to it as quickly as possible.

My Method:
1-Fill all 13 banks with a set up.
2-I used Banks A,B, and C for Big Band setups. I used “Normal and not “Extended”
3-Bank A for a Big Band medium sound like ballads and light jazz.
4-Bank B for Strong Big Band for songs like, In the Mood and A Train.
5-Bank C for a Latin Band -- All 8 Banks were filled with Latin type of instruments.
Banks 1 through 10 were set to Expanded memory. It is here that I stored song setups. That gave me quick access to 70 to a 80 song titles and their setups. 10 Banks each having 8 memory locations. Some times I used more than one memory location for a song.

I kept banks A, B, and C the same. Instrument sounds stayed the same -- Only the registrations changed.
I load once from the SD and have the tree different bands which -- they used when I selected one style and wanted many variations in volume and instrumentation.
That left me 70 to 80 songs to choose from. I would the Bank View to scan through while I was playing a song – ready to press one button and instantly change the mood and song.
Each SD load not only included the above but they were also created for occasion and the desire of the people I was playing for. A nursing Home normally has different wants and desires than a Country Club. I use one that was created for Contemporary music. Some of the SD loads included ethnic and patriotic music.

I am no longer playing jobs so my needs have changed so the set ups I have been using are not important any longer. Now I am playing just for my own enjoyment.

John C.

#68616 - 06/19/09 05:46 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
K1 & K2 Offline

Loc: Rockhampton, Queensland, Austr...
Hi all,

It's good to see some stimulating discussion on the various ways we set up our keyboards. I'm sure we may learn a thing or two from others who use different methods than we do.

The bank view button is the most used button on my keyboard. I have a different dance style stored in each bank.

1. Banks 1-10 + A,B,C contain all of my standard dance styles. Memories 1-8 each contain a different registration. (Expanded Mode) These are saved to an SD card with the PANEL MEMORY set to ALL.

2. I also have a number of A,B,C Banks containing lesser used dance styles. Memories 1-8 each contain a different registration. (Expanded Mode) These are saved to an SD card with the PANEL MEMORY set to 3 BANK.

This way i always have my standard dance styles loaded & when i need to load the other styles, the standard ones are unaffected.

The foot switch idea would not work with me as i never progress from PM1 through to PM8 & back again. I like to select the PM that suits the part of the tune/dance at the time.

I was hoping for a lot more than 13 Banks on the KN7 but it was'nt to be. For me, a keyboard with unlimited banks would save some loading.

"This Posting" has pleasantly brightened up the TECHNICS forum.

Regards,
Alan

#68617 - 06/19/09 08:18 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
etwo4788 Offline

All these great responses are exactly what I wanted.... glad I asked though sorry I did not start a new thread....

BOB H... I can understand how using foot switches would save wear and tear on the PM button... I have them though I do not use them...will think about that....

JOHN C.... Sounds like you use the PM very much like I do....

Wish I could refer back to the thread while writing this post.... My forgetter works a lot better than my rememberer...

A BIG THANKS to all of you...

Elizabeth....

#68618 - 06/19/09 08:30 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Bob Hendershot Offline

Elizabeth, John and Alan, I find this very informative. You folks use your keyboards the same way that I used to use the KN5000. The KN5000 took “forever” to load from disk and I used every trick I could think of, to work with what was already in the keyboard. And, you could play for an hour or so without loading a new setup. But, there are many limitations when you work that way.

The SD card has made loading times so quick that you can access the SD card as fast as you can change panel memory banks. This lets you use as many changes in registration as you wish, including rhythms, voicing, and tempo, as you play each song. You can “flavor” the rhythm and voicing so that it is unique to the song you are playing. And, you have almost unlimited changes that you can set up for a single song. It is not just a rumba or waltz; it is designed specifically for the song you are playing. And, you have almost unlimited memory locations in which you can put those registrations.

As an example, if you use Favorite Songs with the KN7000, you have 40 banks of 9 songs that you can set up. That’s 360 song selections that you can select with each selection containing a TOTAL keyboard setup. If a song isn’t in those 360 locations you can load by SD memory location number almost as fast. So, while you are finishing a song, you can press the SD button, then the FAVORITE SONGS button and you are ready to press a single button to setup the next song when you have finished the song you are playing. You are ready to play the next song in about two seconds. It takes about five seconds if you load by number.

In addition, if you still want to play with a “bank” type setup, you can put your Big Band, or Latin, or whatever setting you would have put in a panel memory bank in a Favorite Song location and access that setup much faster than changing banks at the panel memories.

This is an interesting subject and I hope other folks will add their input re how they use the KN7000.

#68619 - 06/19/09 08:45 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
etwo4788 Offline

BOB H....

Thanks for this latest post too! This offers a more detailed explanation of what you mentioned above... I was about to ask for more detail...guess you read my mind??

I have started a couple of new topics that hopefully will keep this ball rolling all by itself...

Appologies for stealing this thread though I am glad I did!!

Elizabeth

------------------

#68620 - 06/19/09 12:24 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE

Before keyboards and technology entered, my band; Drums, bass, keyboard, sax and myself on guitar and vocal, used “Sets”. They were 5 to 6 songs that seem to blend together – followed by another set with was Latin, Rock or Disco. We did not always play all the songs in each set.

Ex. New York, New York to Leroy Brown to a T42 Cha Cha – to a ballad ect. So we were thinking sets not song. I gave a lot of time to the order of these songs. The biggest problem was trying to remember what was on a list of 600-700 songs, and then deciding. Because I have always allowed my inner feelings to decide I needed to see the list. One or two songs always stood out. I must add in those days we memorized most of the songs so all we needed was a song tittle. If I tried that today there would be large periods of silence. (Smile)

The KN7 bank view gave me that shopping option. Scan through the banks while playing and then press a button. Every SD load offered another 60 to 104 songs, depending how you used A,B and C banks. My set up started with the KN5000 and was upgraded with each new keyboard. When the KN7 came the method was part of me, second nature. I do have a bit of advice –Get a method – stay with it – refine it over a period of time and you will have something special. If it is not great you will know in a short time.

I have no comment about Bob’s method because I have never gone in that direction, it may be a better way to go -- ??? Don’t know.

WHAT IS MISSING HERE IS WHAT IS THE KEYBOARD BEING USED FOR – JOBS, CHURCH, NURSING HOMES, CONDO PARTIES --ECT --
THAT FACTOR CHANGES SO MUCH.

Hey, this is fun – talking about our favorite instrument, John C.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online