SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68591 - 05/30/09 04:43 PM Hopefully a LONG LIFE
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
I have had my KN7000 for about 6 years now. When first new I had to have 3 of the major big boards replaced. Since then it has performed wonderfully in all respects.

I hope that it will last for many years yet. What are the thoughts of other KN7000 owners as to how long you think the KN7000 will last

My daughter has a KN3000 that is much older and is still running like new. I hope that's a good indication as to the long life expectation of the KN7000. What do you think.. What is your experience?

Larry Gosmeyer

#68592 - 05/30/09 05:01 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
My old KN5000 is still going strong at a friend's home. But, I'm in the process of buying a second KN7000 to store away, just in case I lose the one I am playing. Those two should last me as long as I can play. I always unplug the KN when I am not playing just to be sure it is not damaged by an electrical storm or voltage spike and treat it as carefully as I can.

#68593 - 05/31/09 02:56 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Larry,
I would be absolutely lost without my beloved KN7000 and like Bob, I have purchased a second KN7000 as an 'insurance policy' just in case..........

Like any piece of electronic gear, it is almost impossible to say how long it will last before giving up the ghost. It would seem that your experience with your KN7000 was typical of the 'Bathtub Effect'

Quote "The Bathtub Effect is shown as a curve on a graph, depicting the failure rate of a piece of equipment over time. The outline of the curve typically assumes the shape of a bathtub. In the initial phase the failure rate is higher, becoming progressively lower as the equipment is worn in and faults are mended. The curve is then flat until the equipment begins to breakdown again at the end of its normal working life".

Bob's recommendation of unplugging from the mains supply is certainly a good precaution. I don't do this myself but I do use a surge protected extension lead, through which my KN7000 and its associated computer equipment is connected to the domestic mains supply.
The only minor fault which I have on one of my KN7000s is associated with the Start/Stop button, which occasionally fails to operate correctly. It is just a switch contact problem and doesn't worry me too much, since I just use a footswitch instead.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68594 - 05/31/09 02:58 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Have had my 7000 from new thankfully only use mine in the home but I play everyday so would be totally devastated if anything happened to it sounds a silly statement I know but this is my main hobby how people manage when they go out entertaining with the KN under their arm heaven knows because lets face it most of our registrations and songs are stored on SD cards and as far as I know there is no other keyboard that as an SD card slot.
I guess the topic as already been mentioned some time ago now but is there another keyboard that comes close to the KN7000
Long Live The KN7000

#68595 - 05/31/09 06:50 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Tell you what Cass - my KN7000 gets heavier to carry around the more stuff I save on my SD Card - now why is that I wonder...

#68596 - 05/31/09 07:59 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Roger, have you realised that as you get older, everything gets heavier, including your SOH.
Ray
How are my CD's going?? have you burned them yet?

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68597 - 05/31/09 08:30 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
In my early days back in 1988 before I discovered Technics keyboards I had a Yamaha HS8 electone it cost me an arm and both legs now that is what you call heavy

#68598 - 05/31/09 10:33 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I still have and sometimes still play my technics KN800. I bought it May of 1990 so it is now 19 years old. It has played a ton of gigs and hauled around in the RV for a few years too. It has never missed a lick nor has it's optional disc drive. It is built like a tank.
I sold the other four KN's. I think this one will last forever.
Bebop

#68599 - 05/31/09 12:22 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Having used 'em on a recent radio programme, Ray, I sent your CD's off to Simon Cowell as he claims to hate keyboards, so that he can hear just what can be done even upside down...chuckle...
Rog

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 05-31-2009).]

#68600 - 05/31/09 05:15 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Well Larry,

You pose a question, with an impossible answer. My KN7000 was the first to arrive in Los
Angeles and has been played every day since and has recorded 42 CD’s. I’d be totally
lost without it. As a result, the first of this year I purchased another one which I store in a
very good case at the venue I play at each month. This saves me from having to move the board, which seems to get heavier each year. I feel pretty much the same way Bob
does. The two instruments will very likely out live me.

I think Bob’s caution about voltage spikes is a smart one. I use a very powerful surge
protector as Bill does. A few years ago an organ manufacturer brought a beautiful new organ to my music club meeting and just as they started their demo there was a lighting strike which completely knocked out the organ.

Larry, I hope your KN7000 keeps turning out those beautiful arrangements as long as any one of us can hear them.

Frank

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online