SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6734 - 08/02/03 01:44 PM Top tip! (the best way to clean your synth)
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
After countless hours of fiddling about I'm convinced that the best way to clean a synth is by using a hand held vacuum cleaner.

So far it's the only method I know of that gets the dust out of all the knooks and crannies.

That pretty much concludes my top tip, but I'm curious to know, does anyone else here use that method or am I the sole inventor? :P

#6735 - 08/02/03 04:26 PM Re: Top tip! (the best way to clean your synth)
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I've been using this method for years. Good for cleaning the computer and all its bits as well. Since I do all the housework I dust eveything that can attract dust electrostatically with a nifty little brush that attaches to the regular vacuum cleaner. Otherwise you just move the dust from one place to another. Anyway, great minds think alike, as the old saying goes.

Bryan

#6736 - 08/02/03 10:56 PM Re: Top tip! (the best way to clean your synth)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I also keep a good quality paint brush near my gear to brush off the dust periodically. It's a rounded bristle one....like an artist would use, not a house painter. Been doing that for years ! Canned air is a great tool too !

#6737 - 08/04/03 07:53 AM Re: Top tip! (the best way to clean your synth)
tekminus Offline

I agree, Eq. Try a regular big vacuum cleaner with a brush type nozzle. Really gets into all those knobs and sliders type of places.

-tek

#6738 - 08/04/03 02:11 PM Re: Top tip! (the best way to clean your synth)
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
... and here's me thinking I was the only guy who done that!

Anyway, thanks for the other tips. I'll be sure to try them out.

#6739 - 08/04/03 11:39 PM Re: Top tip! (the best way to clean your synth)
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Just be careful with unsoldered chips such as EPROMs, that the vacuum isn't so strong it sucks parts out of their sockets.

Cans of compressed air are the recommended method for cleaning electronics. A vacuum will do the job cheaper but be careful.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 08-06-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online