SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2410 - 07/18/03 07:49 PM Looking for a keyboard/synth
murkan Offline

Loc: Bellevue,WA,USA
I am looking for a keyboard which has the following features
1. To be able to compose different tracks and mix them
2. To be able to generate different kinds of beats.(I am not talking about the standard ones which comes with the synth.)
3.Should a provision to easily and quickly change voices during Live performances
4. Should be interfacale with PC
5. Should have provision to generate the musical notes on the PC which is played in Synth.
I am looking at a cost of around $1000. I have yamaha S08 in mind.But not sure whether it has all these features. Can you help me to find the right one..

#2411 - 07/21/03 02:04 PM Re: Looking for a keyboard/synth
murkan Offline

I need to decide upon one synth to buy..
Help needed:-)).please reply to my topic in this thread if you have an answer..

thanks

#2412 - 07/21/03 02:22 PM Re: Looking for a keyboard/synth
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I don't think I'm knowledgable enough to answer your question to a great degree of accuracy but I can say that the S08 does not have an on-board sequencer that you can write to. It is read only and I'm not sure how it actually works.

It sounds like you would like to have a workstation but your don't neccessarily need a sampler.

Practically any keyboard with a midi out will generate music notes on the PC which is played "on" the synth. But you wanted to know about notes played in the Synth, so I'm wondering if you mean notes from the on-board sequencer.

Basically any multi-timbral synth with an on-board sequencer will give you your item number 1.

I don't know about item number 2. I know many boards allow you to create your own "patterns" or drum loops. I just don;t know which ones.

Quickly changing voices live - I like the Roland XP series and the RS series for this reason, but I'm sure others will work. In my experience it seems you would need a synth that allows you to set up user performances. You then before your gig set up a performance with say part 1 piano, part2 strings, part 3 organ, part 4 piano again. Then you play your song just tapping the "part up" button as you need the patch change. I've done this sucessfully with the XP50 and the RS9.

Most decent workstations with on-board sequencers are over a $1000. Have you considered a used board? I'm actually thinking of a used Roland XP80 which can probably do all those things you mentioned. Not sure about the drum patterns though.

Best wishes
Bob
<><

#2413 - 07/27/03 07:55 PM Re: Looking for a keyboard/synth
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by murkan:
I am looking for a keyboard which has the following features
1. To be able to compose different tracks and mix them
2. To be able to generate different kinds of beats.(I am not talking about the standard ones which comes with the synth.)
3.Should a provision to easily and quickly change voices during Live performances
4. Should be interfacale with PC
5. Should have provision to generate the musical notes on the PC which is played in Synth.
I am looking at a cost of around $1000. I have yamaha S08 in mind.But not sure whether it has all these features. Can you help me to find the right one..

I may be able to help you . Call me at 1-866-348-8876 or email keyboardcity@yahoo.com .

The type of software you use , dictates alot of what your asking .
S08 does not have a onboard sequencer , but will respond to midi track recording and assigning different sounds for different tracks !
For live performance , the S08 should do well .

You may want to look at a QS8.2 from Alesis.

Dano

#2414 - 07/27/03 08:57 PM Re: Looking for a keyboard/synth
murkan Offline

Thanks a lot BOB and Dana for your suggestions..

I just ordered a Yamaha PSR2000 which almost satifies all my requirements.
-has got 16 track sequencer
-8 registration memories which will help in changing voices during live performances

it allows creation of own styles but dont know how powerful is it..it costs 1000$..

Do u think I have made the right choice??:-))

-Murali

#2415 - 07/29/03 01:51 PM Re: Looking for a keyboard/synth
surur Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida. USA
I think that's a great choice for the money you wanted to spend. I have been in need of the same things in a keyboard and have done a lot of research lately. And I myself am gearing towards the PSR-2100. You will enjoy your 2000.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online