SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6613 - 09/27/06 05:09 AM microKORG - First synth
LOL@JOSH Offline

Loc: watford, herts, england
Hey guys,

Im looking to by a synth just for messing around with and having fun really, so i want somthing pretty cheap, but i also want to get into drum n bass/trance music if i enjoy it, and therefore want my first synth to be reletivly capable.

Ive been recomended the KORG microKORG, as its reletivly cheap, and it very powerfull and easy to use for the price.

I was wondering if any of you guys use the microKORG and could give me any direct feedback about how easy it is to use (for a first time synth user) and if it really is capable of producing quality sounds for gigging (if it comes to that) etc.

Cheers, Josh.

#6614 - 09/27/06 08:09 AM Re: microKORG - First synth
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
MicroKorg is cool. You'll like it. The only drawback is that it has limited polyphony (amount of notes/sounds that you can play at the same time) and has no drums. So unless you are planning to use it along with some simple hard disk recorder (or program (Sonar, FL, Cubase etc) along with some synth/sampler that can take care of drums it's not going to do for drum and bass. Not just by itself.

You can always get it and then get one of Roland's grooveboxes. You will need a mixer to use both though.

Also, since you are getting a synth the best way to use it is to use it together with your computer. In fact if your computer is up to specs you can use software synths and control them with your MicroKorg.

Just letting you know what your options are.

But if you need it just for messing around with cool synth sounds and not necessarily music making MicroKorg is cool. Like I said. You will like it.

At least I know that some of my friends do.

-ED-

#6615 - 09/27/06 08:24 AM Re: microKORG - First synth
3351 Offline

I forgot to mention amplification.

What are you planning to connect the MicroKorg to? Do you have a home hi-fi system? Because that would do just fine. As long as it's got a stereo line input.

If that's not an option you may want to get a pair of powered speakers.

cheers,

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-27-2006).]

#6616 - 09/27/06 08:29 AM Re: microKORG - First synth
LOL@JOSH Offline

I was thinking about getting a KP2 sometime in the future.. would that do for the bass?

Or would i be better of paying out more at first and getting an EMX..

Ill be using it with headphones for just playing, but ive got a guitar amp.. and my Hi fi is reletivly good.

Ive got a decent home PC, and was planning on downloading the thing from KORGs website.

If the KP2 wouldnt do the drums, what would be a cheap (but okay) start for the drums?

#6617 - 09/27/06 08:36 AM Re: microKORG - First synth
LOL@JOSH Offline

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/13659

Would that do for the drums?

Or somthing along those lines...

#6618 - 09/27/06 10:31 AM Re: microKORG - First synth
3351 Offline

I knew you were going to mention a guitar amp! SOmehow every person that posted a question about Korg MicroKorg in this forum wanted to plug it into their guitar amps.

IN short: NO, it is not a good idea. Whilst guitar and bass amps can sound fantastic when used with what they were designed to be used with they are not at all made for synths. There's some math behind this but generally speaking the inputs on guitar/bass amps (in essence preamps) are just too low fi to handle a synth.

Although you could always plug your MicroKorg into a guitar amp to make it sound muddy and distorted or simply give the sound a slightly different character. NOt a standard practice though. Just do it as a special thing.

If your computer is up to specs I don't really see any need for the MicroKorg then. Soft synths let you do so much more and as long as you have patience for mouse clicking (instead of turning real knobs. Although you can control nearly all the parameters of software synths with hardware controllers) then perhaps taking the software route is a good idea.

-ED-

#6619 - 09/27/06 10:55 AM Re: microKORG - First synth
3351 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LOL@JOSH:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/13659

Would that do for the drums?

Or somthing along those lines...

Well it looks okay in specs but I think you have to actually hear/demo something before making up your mind. This sounds pretty generic but it is the only way. Because only you can decide what works best for your needs. ... And of course we all have very different tastes and needs.

I personally use soft synths and samplers for drums. I have:

NI Battery (for electronic/dance drums)
DFH Superior with vintage ad on for acoustic drums.

.. and Apple EXS 24 sampler along with Ultrabeat. Both come with Logic Pro.

Some of my hardware synths have pretty good drums too. Even the VIrus TI that I just bought.

Anyway. I wish I could answer all of your questions but I'm not a dealer and can only speak about things that I use myself. I think you'll have more fun with software synths than you will with just the MicroKorg but at the same time nothing is stopping you from getting it now and adding all the software stuff later.

I mean you have to start somewhere. If I were you I'd just go and pay a visit to the nearest music store. Talk to a few sales reps and check out what's available.

-ED-

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online