SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#65383 - 03/17/06 05:20 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I feel there is going to be a steep learning curve here ? and it may very well be worth the effort. New terminology and new concepts ? I?m open, let?s go. (Before I get too old)

John C.

#65384 - 03/17/06 10:47 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
That's The spirit, John. That is how I feel. The approach is a little different, but we are familiar with the concepts. Think how hard it would be for a beginner. The Receptor hosts Kontact and other programs within programs that automate changes. We are getting in on a flood of new programs that will make changes on the fly.

By the time we learn the basics, they will be in place. Aftertall, there must be a reason Yamaha bought Steinburgh, one of the most respected software makers.

#65385 - 03/17/06 03:10 PM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
Keyboardcapers Offline

Loc: England
Hi there John C - are you still confused!. Perhaps this will help you understand. Here is an example of what receptors can actually do.

Receptors are critical to the life of all cells, whether or not the cell represents an animal, a plant, a fungus, or a bacterium. Every function, response, interaction, pathway, process, and any other term you might think of that concerns the moment-to-moment existence of a cell, is controlled by various receptor/ligand-induced systems.
Human cells need a source of energy in order to maintain life. One such source is the sugar molecule, glucose. All of the materials necessary to utilize glucose are inside the cell. And, in order to obtain glucose we must absorb it in some way from our intestines. There are special receptors, called carrier proteins, within the membrane of cells which line the intestinal "wall". These carrier proteins are specific for glucose and energy is used to pump the glucose into the cells that line the intestines. Through interaction with other kinds of glucose carrier proteins, glucose eventually is deposited into the bloodstream. There, the glucose molecules reach cells throughout the body. Glucose cannot, however, simply diffuse across a cell's membrane and enter the cell. The movement must be facilitated by a cell's response to the hormone, insulin. Insulin receptors on cells, bind to a specific region of the insulin molecule, and this interaction triggers a molecular "wiggling" of the insulin receptor. The result of this slight movement causes a chemical reaction to occur (part of the insulin receptor is actually a kind of special enzyme which transfers phosphate groups). This reaction triggers further specialized reactions within the cell along a very precise activation pathway which ultimately result in the uptake by the cell of glucose.
Another kind of receptor, the acetylcholine receptor, specifically interacts with a chemical substance known as acetylcholine (asseh-teel-ko-leen) and this interaction allows nerve impulses to travel to a muscle and trigger movement of an entire muscle group. Other kinds of receptors in our nasal tissue (olfactory tissue) are connected by nerves to our brain. When certain chemicals react with receptors specific for them, we may experience an automatic withdrawal/avoidance reaction as one result. Our brain interpreted the nerve impulses in such a way as to lead to a "warning". The ability to respond to such a warning signal depends upon our genetic makeup - the genes which lead to all of these kinds of responses. Alternatively, if we possess receptors in our nasal tissues which can bind to molecules emitted by the flower of a lilac bush, we may react pleasurably to this "smell". I know I do.
Therefore, receptors are necessary for many, many things. Without receptors, we'd lead a pretty dull existence. And, although we might not experience pain, either physical or emotional, we'd also be unable to experience any of the joy of life.

Keyboardcapers

#65386 - 03/17/06 04:07 PM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Bernie,
sounds pretty amazing, so no redundency, you just keep adding more sounds as you choose & should one ever decide to switch from computer to receptor ( or vice versa) the money spent on building up the sound library
isn't wasted, the sound library just gets transferred to the new hardware. ( with maybe some small fees involved).
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]Hi Rikki
Yes, you can use your existing software, but there might be a "crossover" fee charged for another install.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#65387 - 03/18/06 01:50 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello All
A few things you should remember when using VST Instruments.
1. All VST Instruments require processing power to do there job, both Receptor and a Computer only have a Finite amount of processing power, and this is what will limit the amount of VST Instruments you can use simultaneously, NOT what it says on the box..(Go for the fastest CPU you can afford, and don’t forget that although most programs cannot yet make full use of Dual core CPUs, Windows XP can)
2. RAM. All VST Instruments require there own Ram space, so the more you have the better they will run, this is particularly important with programs like Colossus which, although using Disk Streaming, still require a large amount of Ram to work, Colossus recommends 1Gb of FREE Ram to work at its best. As the other VST Instruments and the Operating System (If you’re using a computer) also require Ram, I would suggest a Minimum of 2 GB.
3. HARD DISK. Disk Streaming requires the hard disk to send the Data at high speed, so I would recommend a 7200 RPM Drive (Even in a Laptop) with a larger buffer as possible. (Forget 2Mb)
4. COLOSSUS. This program is mainly a 32Gb set of samples, and while editing features are available, they are very limited in comparison to a program like Kontakt 2, however it does use the Kontakt audio engine, so you can buy a Kontakt 2 upgrade (A lot cheaper then the full program) which will convert Colossus in to a full version of Kontakt 2, but with the 32Gb sample set of Colossus.
Hope the above helps.

Bill

#65388 - 03/18/06 06:13 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#65389 - 03/18/06 07:44 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
KEYBOARDCAPERS......WOW! Now does that make sense or what? ~:-))

#65390 - 03/19/06 01:53 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanks, Bill, for the link and other good information.

I will have 2 GB of RAM by Wed.,along with Colossus. The Muse tech guys will walk me through installation. Since I am not primarily a piano player, I will use B4'2, and Colossus. I will hold off on Ivory for awhile, and fill in on a smaller piano program. My first conscern will be the DFD operation with Colossus. Until I get more adept at controllers, I bought an Edirol PC-80 controller kb that will sit on the second tier of my Apex stand(excellent keybed,with 3 velocity curves). The KN7000 will be on the bottom. The Receptor will be used for leads. This should be light work for the Receptor.

Bernie

#65391 - 03/19/06 07:11 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The KN7000 will be on the bottom. The Receptor will be used for leads. This should be light work for the Receptor.

Bernie

Bernie, now you really have my attention.

John C.

#65392 - 03/19/06 09:22 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Hi guys

The juggler who is he.
Just incredible.

Barry

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online