SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#65353 - 03/10/06 02:55 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Bernie
Not sure about the KN7000 but master mode on most keyboards, separates the actual keyboard from all the KN7000 sounds, which means they will only play via midi.
I am not sure what knowledge you have on Midi, but please remember the Midi cable does not carry Audio, (A common misunderstanding by new uses) so you will need to connect the audio output of the Receptor to your KN7000 or an external amp and speakers.
If the KN7000 is in Master mode then to hear the KN7000 sounds you will need to connect another Midi cable from the Receptor to the KN7000 Midi in.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#65354 - 03/10/06 04:30 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
sturgeon Offline

The KN2600 USB cable carries both MIDI and audio.

Iam sitting here playing VSTis on my computer from my KN2600 keyboard and listening to them through the KN2600 speakers.

I have only the USB cable connected! This cable is also used to create an audio master file on a PC, so it can deal with audio in both directions (but not simultaneously).

Cheers,

s.

#65355 - 03/10/06 04:38 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Hi All,

The only problem with all this guys is
If like me a KN2600 user you play live and use every feature (performance pads,fillins,different pedal settings etc).
I dont think a Muesse and mother keyboard setup could do this.
New sounds yes

Barry

#65356 - 03/10/06 05:43 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
sturgeon Offline

If you have a KN2600 and a computer with a VST host you can have it all as far as I can see. I am playing a Technics song at the moment that is using some KN2600 sounds and some VST instruments. I can still use performance pads and play live from the keyboard.

The same would apply when using SD audio tracks for backing vox or whatever.

We seem to have it all!

s.

#65357 - 03/10/06 02:14 PM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The master mode on the KN7000 simply means that it is the controller. I can swith local(KB) sounds off and on per part if I choose. Hence I can layer or hear either. I did get the USB to work. As Sturgeon says, you can get Audio and midi.

This thing is both simple and deep. but I know it is a road warrior. and will get it together eventually.

The tech support is tremendous, and have helped a lot.
Bernie

#65358 - 03/10/06 03:58 PM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
the cme line with some sort of style functions ?? something that's coming out in the future.

Have you got your midicable corect??
midi out kn to midi in receptor.

Make sure you've got the right setting on your kn, I haven't had mine for a couple of years, so I'm a bit rusty on the functions.
Something along the lines of
KN as master sending either to a soundmodule or maybe maybe even a computer
( as long as it's via midi not usb)
You should also have the option of using styles. I just can't remember all the different setups available.
I tried something similar with my sd1, ie use sd1 styles with a soundmodule sorce but I wasn't succesful, it doesn't appear to send out the initial program & control changes required so it's back to my omb software /laptop for styles.

If you're literally just wanting to use the kn7 as you would use your oxygen controller
is there some way of turning off arranger functions & using it the way you'd use a synth. Then try turning local off ie no sound at all from the kn7, try setting your midi out channel to 1, make sure all the other 15 are set to off.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but unless I have it in front of me, I can't remember how stuff works.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]Hi Rikki
I

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#65359 - 03/11/06 01:46 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Rikki
Thank you for your suggestions. I am afraid I have done all the above. As last resort, I plugged in USB and it works. The only problem is that note off sometimes isn't received, and it hangs up.

Until such time as I get more proficient at this, I plan on using a CME VX controller when Yamaha sends them to the dealers. I play in a band, as well as solo, and the Receptor will be great at layers, or multy's in this application. I will get some killer sounds loaded and use the KN7000 for what it does best. In the future, I will look into arranger functions.

All I can say is that this is some awesome machine, and the only limitation is myself and the proper software. This will come.

I bought this looking to the future, and I am sure I made the right decision. The sounds in the Receptor going through the Bose is enough to curl your toes, and I haven't even gone past the freebies. Hopefully with you, Frank, Esh,Tapas, Sturgeon, Abacus, and others, we will have our own little niche.

Bernie

#65360 - 03/11/06 06:14 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Sturgeon,
Are you getting latency with ur Vst instruments .
Im using Steinbergs Nuendo latency on record
but not on playback.
Havent tried standalone vsts yet

Cheers barry

#65361 - 03/11/06 06:45 AM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
sturgeon Offline

Hi Barry,

I am getting no latency at all. Yours could well be caused by your ASIO driver, especially if you are using Steinberg's default mutimedia or directX full duplex drivers. I am using asio4all, which is free, very reliable, and is set to usb audio device and hardware buffers.

Cheers,

s.

#65362 - 03/11/06 04:42 PM Re: KN7000 and Muse Receptor
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
you'll find a dedicated controller will probably work far better than trying to use the KN for that purpose.

I was using my digital piano ( Clavinova, no style functions) as a controller for my laptop/omb/softsynth realtime arranger setup, and it does a far better job and way easier to setup, than using my SD1 keyboard.
The arranger functionson the sd1 get in the way.

Reason for using piano is that I play in full pianist mode and mainly use piano for melody voice, other than that, I'd buy a dedicated controller.

One thing you may be able to explain,
does the Receptor load a complete set of sounds on startup??

When it comes to using a softsynth arranger setup with a program like OMB, the sounds required for" styles " really need to be loaded into some sort of memory and ready to use, without having to wait for them to load each time a program change occurs for a style part, so basically softsyths like Hypercanvas, soundfonts & maybe a couple of others will work, they're there waiting to be accesed by the program changes.
So can a bank of gm sounds be loaded into memory on start up of receptor.

Also some of the large samples from just say Colossus have to be streamed from hard disk to computer, therefore only making them useful as a melody sound not, suitable for a style parts, do you know if receptor works the same way? or is a colossus sample actually loaded into memory on startup?

happy to year you figure you made the right choice.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]Hi Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online