SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#63737 - 05/19/02 09:36 PM Re: 4 way switch
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Alan,

I have a 4-way foot switch and agree with everyone about the problems regarding positioning and overall size of the unit. I have compromised by having the first switch set to panel memory increment (I use that constantly), and the second switch I have set to OFF so that if I accidentally press that at the same time as switch 1 it has no adverse effect. Switch 3 is set to Start (I use that in one and only one song!) and switch 4 is set to Sustain. And I play with my shoes on.

For anyone who doesn't have the 4-way switch and is considering buying one, I would suggest you go with the DIY approach if you are up to it (or can get someone else to do it for you). By making your own you can set the footswitches a more reasonable distance apart.

Mike

#63738 - 05/20/02 08:23 AM Re: 4 way switch
technicsplayer Offline

if you are going down the diy route there is another alternative.

Years ago in the days of the KN3000 I built the 6 switch inputs available in a 9 inch long aluminium box on an aluminuim plate which sat under the keyboard, so that all the large mushroom push switches were under the palm of your left hand. While still holding down chords you could tap a switch with the heel of the left hand quite easily.

I always meant to mount a potentiometer in the end of the box, wire it up to the volume pedal, and have a right angled loop of stiff wire attached to the spindle, a similar arrangement to the knee controls that used to be on old organs, but in such a position you could again control it with the palm of the hand, but never got around to actually building this mod.

#63739 - 05/20/02 08:52 AM Re: 4 way switch
laingjam Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA
What I did back on my KN5000 was similar to the above reply. I made a unit out of wood, and drilled holes to install Allen Organ "Thumb Pistons". These are the same kind used on pipe organs. Worked great. Back on my KN2000 I had 8 of these, which I hand-wired to various controls on the keyboard (literally by opening up the keyboard and running wires to panel switches)-I'm sure this voided my warranty! This was because back then, they didn't have the 4-way switch jack like they do on the KN5000 and later.

#63740 - 05/20/02 01:13 PM Re: 4 way switch
DaveT Offline

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Walter, I will draw the set up and wiring diagram I used then scan it in and send it via E - Mail.

DvarT.

#63741 - 05/27/02 11:50 PM Re: 4 way switch
ALAN MAXEY Offline

Loc: U.K.
Thank you everybody for your suggestions regarding the 4 way switch. I have done the sensible thing and changed the functions of the switch..1 panel memory increase..2 panel memory decrease..3 intro/ending 1..4 intro/ending 2. I hope this will stop anymore embarrassing moments...Alan

#63742 - 05/28/02 05:53 PM Re: 4 way switch
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveT:
Alan, I made my own four way foot switching unit using PSF 20 None Latching switch units,that way you can position the switches at what ever distance you want to suit your own needs. Shoes on or off.

The building is very easy and as the units have a standard jack plug outlet I used a computer printer cable with four jack plugs fitted on the eight inner cables and a din plug to match the input of the KN6000.

Then fitted a top to the whole unit which I can then place my other two foot switches thereby having all six foot switches in one compact unit.

I have the wiring info if you require it.

DaveT.

I would be interested in receiving the wiring info.

#63743 - 05/28/02 07:24 PM Re: 4 way switch
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Just a note of caution regarding changing the footswitch settings:

I have changed my settings as described in an earlier post, and saved those settings in the custom panel (I think that's what it's called - I'm not near my keyboard at the moment). Then one day I reinitialised my keyboard but overlooked pressing the custom panel button afterwards. Hence the foot switch settings went back to their initial state. Very embarrassing in front of an audience! By default the foot switch settings don't get saved on disk when you save performance settings.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online