4 way switch

Posted by: ALAN MAXEY

4 way switch - 05/19/02 11:03 AM

I have just finished playing at a Catholic Confirmation service. I use my KN800 midied to an Allen organ for normal hymns and mass parts and the KN6000 for special pieces. M y question is, I have a TECHNOTE 4 way foot switch and a TECHNICS single foot switch. I find the TECHNOTE switch rather bulky. I use it with my shoes off so as not to press the wrong switch. How-ever today I missed the Panel memory increase switch and hit the switch programmed to stop, so everything came to a sudden conclusion . Does anyone else have the TECHNOTE switch or the TECHNICS 4way switch and what do they think of them? How do you other users out there programme the 4 way switch? Alan.

[This message has been edited by ALAN MAXEY (edited 05-19-2002).]
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: 4 way switch - 05/19/02 12:03 PM

HI ALAN,
Welcome to the Technics Forum.
I don't have a 4 way foot switch but use two single switches and an expression pedal. I have heard several discuss this over time so, I am sure you will get some replies on this. Just be patient as some of the folks may only get here once a week or so and not 3 times a day like the rest of us addicts

------------------
BEBOP
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 05-19-2002).]
Posted by: Benno Kattenat

Re: 4 way switch - 05/19/02 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Benno Kattenat:
hi alan, you go to http//home.no/gunnar-jonny/bobs/ you will find suggestion for pedals,i have the pedals as you, but dont us them as much,but you can set it up in the panel memories so it stays and doesnt change on you . go through your menu on your 6500 and check out the items for your foot controller settings you can save your settings so it wont change. best regards ,BENNO
Posted by: John North

Re: 4 way switch - 05/19/02 12:20 PM

Yes the four way switch can be a bit of a *?*?**. I don't use mine very much now, but you may find it less of a problem if you allocate the same control to the 2 left switches and another control to the 2 right switches. I know that is reducing you effectively to 2 switches, but it should allow you to keep your shoes on!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Bob Hendershot

Re: 4 way switch - 05/19/02 12:35 PM

I use the Technics four way switch as well as two single Yamaha switches with the KN5000. I use the four way for panel increment, decrement and for fill ins 1 and 2. I also remove my shoe to help keep from hitting the wrong switch. If I hit the wrong switch it is not a total disaster and can normally recover from an unwanted fill in or change in panel memory. Start/Stop is assigned to one of the single switches off to one side.
Posted by: gilbert

Re: 4 way switch - 05/19/02 02:17 PM

I use a 4 way foot controler in conjuction with an expression pedal and yamaha foot switch, the only diffulculty I have found is the instabiliy of these switches.My answer was to set my keyboard stand on a seperate solid wooden base,I then played around with the placement of the switchies untill a natural position was found the switchies were then secured in that position by a small framework for each switch and now I have no proplem hitting the right switch. My set up is 1. fill 1 2.panel inc 3. panel dec 4. fill 2 the seperate foot switch I use for rythm end.
Gilbert
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 4 way switch - 05/19/02 03:45 PM

Alan,

I use the Technote 4 way and two singles. As I started out playing, or trying to play organ, I got use to the kick switches on the expresion pedal.

I have mounted the two singles on the Technote Expression pedal. My pedal assignment is similar to Bob's, but I stay dressed.

I had a problem with the keyboard remembering my assignments but Alec's great book solved that problem. Been working fine ever since.

Fran in Florida
Posted by: DaveT

Re: 4 way switch - 05/19/02 05:35 PM

Alan, I made my own four way foot switching unit using PSF 20 None Latching switch units,that way you can position the switches at what ever distance you want to suit your own needs. Shoes on or off.

The building is very easy and as the units have a standard jack plug outlet I used a computer printer cable with four jack plugs fitted on the eight inner cables and a din plug to match the input of the KN6000.

Then fitted a top to the whole unit which I can then place my other two foot switches thereby having all six foot switches in one compact unit.

I have the wiring info if you require it.

DaveT.
Posted by: Bob Hendershot

Re: 4 way switch - 05/19/02 05:40 PM

There is an article on the "How To" pages that describes the way Milan Hruby made his own foot switches in which he uses hand operated switches. The wiring diagrams can also be used to make a foot operated version.
http://home.no/gjg/bobs/howto.htm
Posted by: Walter McLaren

Re: 4 way switch - 05/19/02 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveT:
Alan, I made my own four way foot switching unit using PSF 20 None Latching switch units,that way you can position the switches at what ever distance you want to suit your own needs. Shoes on or off.

The building is very easy and as the units have a standard jack plug outlet I used a computer printer cable with four jack plugs fitted on the eight inner cables and a din plug to match the input of the KN6000.

Then fitted a top to the whole unit which I can then place my other two foot switches thereby having all six foot switches in one compact unit.

DaveT.

Dave , is this a general offer, I would like a copy of the wiring as my last attempt was unsuccessful. Thanks. Walter.
Posted by: Mike Daniell

Re: 4 way switch - 05/19/02 09:36 PM

Alan,

I have a 4-way foot switch and agree with everyone about the problems regarding positioning and overall size of the unit. I have compromised by having the first switch set to panel memory increment (I use that constantly), and the second switch I have set to OFF so that if I accidentally press that at the same time as switch 1 it has no adverse effect. Switch 3 is set to Start (I use that in one and only one song!) and switch 4 is set to Sustain. And I play with my shoes on.

For anyone who doesn't have the 4-way switch and is considering buying one, I would suggest you go with the DIY approach if you are up to it (or can get someone else to do it for you). By making your own you can set the footswitches a more reasonable distance apart.

Mike
Posted by: technicsplayer

Re: 4 way switch - 05/20/02 08:23 AM

if you are going down the diy route there is another alternative.

Years ago in the days of the KN3000 I built the 6 switch inputs available in a 9 inch long aluminium box on an aluminuim plate which sat under the keyboard, so that all the large mushroom push switches were under the palm of your left hand. While still holding down chords you could tap a switch with the heel of the left hand quite easily.

I always meant to mount a potentiometer in the end of the box, wire it up to the volume pedal, and have a right angled loop of stiff wire attached to the spindle, a similar arrangement to the knee controls that used to be on old organs, but in such a position you could again control it with the palm of the hand, but never got around to actually building this mod.
Posted by: laingjam

Re: 4 way switch - 05/20/02 08:52 AM

What I did back on my KN5000 was similar to the above reply. I made a unit out of wood, and drilled holes to install Allen Organ "Thumb Pistons". These are the same kind used on pipe organs. Worked great. Back on my KN2000 I had 8 of these, which I hand-wired to various controls on the keyboard (literally by opening up the keyboard and running wires to panel switches)-I'm sure this voided my warranty! This was because back then, they didn't have the 4-way switch jack like they do on the KN5000 and later.
Posted by: DaveT

Re: 4 way switch - 05/20/02 01:13 PM

Walter, I will draw the set up and wiring diagram I used then scan it in and send it via E - Mail.

DvarT.
Posted by: ALAN MAXEY

Re: 4 way switch - 05/27/02 11:50 PM

Thank you everybody for your suggestions regarding the 4 way switch. I have done the sensible thing and changed the functions of the switch..1 panel memory increase..2 panel memory decrease..3 intro/ending 1..4 intro/ending 2. I hope this will stop anymore embarrassing moments...Alan
Posted by: lrngkybrd

Re: 4 way switch - 05/28/02 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveT:

DaveT.

I would be interested in receiving the wiring info.
Posted by: Mike Daniell

Re: 4 way switch - 05/28/02 07:24 PM

Just a note of caution regarding changing the footswitch settings:

I have changed my settings as described in an earlier post, and saved those settings in the custom panel (I think that's what it's called - I'm not near my keyboard at the moment). Then one day I reinitialised my keyboard but overlooked pressing the custom panel button afterwards. Hence the foot switch settings went back to their initial state. Very embarrassing in front of an audience! By default the foot switch settings don't get saved on disk when you save performance settings.

Mike