SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59979 - 03/11/05 07:39 PM mp3 ideas
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
At present I am only able to create my song arrangements for the KN7000 and post them on the forum. Some who have different keyboard models have asked if I could make these arrangements available in mp3 files so they too can listen and maybe enjoy some of the songs.

My arrangements average about 3 mb in size. I do not have enough capacity on my web site to convert and load in all my KN7000 arrangments. If I only upload a couple at a time, it still means that you would have to download 3 mbs of data for each song, This could be too much of a task if you are using dial up service.

Making zip files out of them does not seem to compress the size very much.

Are there any other way, approaches, etc., to get around these problems? I guess one way for me would be to convert all my KN7000 arrangements to mp3 files and then burn an mp3 CD and mail it to those who request this. This would take a lot of my time, which is limited, but I would consider doing it if no other better ideas surfaced. However, I would have to get between $10 and $15 to cover, time, supplies, packaging, postage for each CD.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Larry G

#59980 - 03/11/05 08:21 PM Re: mp3 ideas
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Larry, A good quality Real Audio file can be around 500k. They can also be less depending on how much quality you want.
Go to my website and listen to some of my songs in Real Audio. If you don't have the player you can download it on my website.
Should you decide to go that route I have the Real Audio Coder program.
This can be another option.

------------------
BEBOP
Senior Member SYNTHZONE FORUMS Retired Moderator of Technics Forum
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=25
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://www.anycities.com/bebop/

#59981 - 03/12/05 04:40 AM Re: mp3 ideas
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Larry,

I generally use the Windows WMA format to compress audio files. This process produces a file about half the size of a corresponding MP3 and the resultant quality is good. There are some examples on my WMA page : http://wmafiles.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
For example, a 5 minute 30 second file is about 1.38MB and of course the files play in Windows Media Player.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59982 - 03/12/05 11:01 AM Re: mp3 ideas
Merrill Ainsworth Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Hi,Larry!

Put me on your buy list for that CD if
you decide to make it.

MerrillAinsworth@cox.net

#59983 - 03/12/05 02:22 PM Re: mp3 ideas
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Larry and Bill
I just downloaded one of Bill's WMA tunes. With my Audigy 2 and my Z2200's, it sounded great. I suppose Bill's artistry had something to do with it. I haven't tried Bebop's Real Audio,but the point is that Larry's songs would be more readily available without a serious loss in quality.

Bernie

#59984 - 03/13/05 07:17 AM Re: mp3 ideas
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Why not upload them to Andrew Hearn's "Technics For All" website?

When I was running that site, I included a couple of your songs in WMA format. I believe they are still available: www.technicsforall.com

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#59985 - 03/13/05 04:10 PM Re: mp3 ideas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Folks.
I have just downloaded all of Bills WMA music from his website using Tiscali Broadband
Average time per tune 32 seconds @ average
33.5 Kbs per second downlod.all really good quality.
That will do for me!!!
Regards.
Joe.

#59986 - 03/13/05 07:15 PM Re: mp3 ideas
larry gosmeyer Offline

My latest KN7 song posting is Stompin at the Savoy which is 3.0 mbs for the WAV file.

I converted the file to WMA format and it comes out at 2.7 mbs - not too much difference. I'm using Goldwave Program.

Converted to mp3 format is still 2.7 mbs

I must be missing something on the conversion.

Larry G

#59987 - 03/14/05 04:54 AM Re: mp3 ideas
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Larry,
I just downloaded your 'Stompin' at the Savoy - great recording
Having loaded it into my KN7000, I then played it back into Goldwave and produced a standard WAV file. It was around 30MB in size and lasts for about 2mins 50secs.
I then saved the file in WMA format which produced a file of about 2.6MB, using the 'default' compression attributes (128kbps, 44kHz, stereo CBR).
However, if you select slightly more compression in the attributes box (32kbps, 22khz,stereo CBR) the file size reduces to 698KB and the playback still sounds quite reasonable. This is the compression level I use on the files on my WMA web page.
I'll email your recording to you, using the latter format - see what you think......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59988 - 03/14/05 06:23 PM Re: mp3 ideas
larry gosmeyer Offline

Thanks all for your thoughts, and help.

I am studying all the possibilities and hope to have a decision worked out pretty soon and I will then let you know what approach I am going to try out.

Thanks again.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online