SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59494 - 02/04/02 09:44 AM 5/4 time
Paul Worley Offline

Loc: Evergreen, CO USA
I'm about to show how stupid I am. I've read Alec's book plus the kn6500 manual and if it's there... I can't find it. Help please. Dave Brubeck did a number of jazz tunes in 5/4 time. How do I set up 5/4 measures in the sequencer and/or the composer? And... how do I vary those measures between 5/4 and 7/4? Many thanks to all of you for your help. By the way... this forum has provided wonderful technical (and moral) support during the last few weeks. What a great site for all of us. Many thanks !! Paul

#59495 - 02/04/02 11:28 AM Re: 5/4 time
technicsplayer Offline

both 5/4 and 7/4 are available in the composer, but only as starting points for cleared contents. You have to play everything in from scratch.

If this is not suitable, it should be possible to do this in the sequencer using similar 4/4 and 3/4 and combining them for instance in the composer, but would be relatively complex. All the principles involved are used, one way or the other, in all the practical exercises in the second half of the book, you have to apply them to these new circumstances. But admittedly this is not the easiest of problems, and nothing to do with stupidity...

I seem to remember I once converted a 'take five' midi to composer. If you are absolutely stuck, I might have it somewhere.

#59496 - 02/04/02 01:25 PM Re: 5/4 time
Paul Worley Offline

Loc: Evergreen, CO USA
Many thanks for the prompt reply. I read your response in both forums. Let me struggle a bit longer with this... especially the concept of alternating meters within a phrase. When I'm completely stuck, I'll give you another holler. Warm regards, Paul

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online