SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#59051 - 01/08/04 02:24 PM Re: Americana Disks
technicsplayer Offline

Americana series started in the days of the KN2000, went through a KN3000 series and the last disks were available in KN5000 series.

They were 5 styles per disk with 6 variations to each style, the 5th of which was an solo auto chord progression (as an exercise in the 6k book described how to create) which enabled you to solo a middle 8 with chords but without using left hand, each style 2 intros and endings, mostly 4 fills and 8 registrations.

There were 34 disks that could play on the 7k with suitable treatment and possibly a couple for GN organ from memory but they mostly duplications in content.

#59052 - 01/08/04 02:34 PM Re: Americana Disks
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Bud Whipple:
....Wouldn't the kn7000 load and play the old styles?

The KN7 will play those styles, but I'm pretty
sure you have to tweak a good deal to make them
sound as good as they do at the kb's they're made
to play on.
This Americana serie is really well made, and are
some of the best created at that time.
Well, my peronal meaning of course
GJ

hmmm... I wonder what "peronal" mean, I can see
it miss a "s", and should be "personal"

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 01-08-2004).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#59053 - 01/08/04 02:48 PM Re: Americana Disks
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
I have two different Americana Disks - one is reading KN2000 and the other KN3000. I haven't played them for years but after reading this thread I tried them today on my KN7 and they play fine. All disks made for older models need tweaking anyway, has anyone ever had a commercial style that was completely to their taste?

When I upgraded to different keyboards/digital pianos etc., over the years I would send my Technote disks back to Technote and in those days they provided a free conversion service - this was a long time ago and the disks in question could have been PR900 disks which they replaced.

The current brochure of Technote does not list the Americana disks.

Joan

#59054 - 01/08/04 03:55 PM Re: Americana Disks
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
When I think back on it, it wasn't Technote that carried the style disks way back when, it was another company located in the US, I just can't remember where. They just quit answering the phone or taking orders one day, and that was that. Their list started back with the kn900 and was upgraded with the introduction of new models, but the Americana series was still the best of all. I wonder if Technics would be interested in resuming production of the series if enough people would buy them? Still, at $35 a pop, they're out of my reach. Oh well.........

#59055 - 01/08/04 04:44 PM Re: Americana Disks
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I want to thank those members who have sent me samples of some Americana Disks.

Some of these styles work fine and sound great on the 3000, while others won't load on the 3000 but will on the 7000.

However, I believe there is a way to convert them to your particular keyboard, even backward, but not sure exactly how.

------------------
Larry Hawk
Technics For All

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#59056 - 01/08/04 05:40 PM Re: Americana Disks
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Larry,
I could be wrong here, but I don't think disks are backward compatible ie I don't think you can change the id on a kn5 disk to play on a kn3. I think changing id from a piano or organ equivalent to each other works. Sounds like a couple of the samples you have may have been for the kn5.
Quite a few of the styles need tweaking.
The Americana's used a lot of sound edits and effects, like one particular style had winding up a clock, another had a sound like a steam train chugging away . Some of those can cause real problems in the kn7. I think I even had some problems with kn2 ones played on the kn5.
Maybe EMC's style conversion program might work ie load in as kn5 save as kn3.

They were available for sale Technote UK. I think my local Technics dealer ( in Aust) got stuck with a heap of them too.

One of these days I'll dig out what I can resurrect, I lost a heap of my style disks in storage. Didn't realize floppies could corrupt, when not in use. There again they sat idle for about 4 years , in between selling my kn5 & buying my kn7. Hard lesson learnt.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lahawk:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#59057 - 01/08/04 06:45 PM Re: Americana Disks
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Your correct Rikki. I was thinking of EMC's style conversion for converting 5000 to 3000. I don't believe EMC includes any keyboard above the 5000, although I heard from Neil Blake that "Their working on it", which means including 6 and 7000.

Anyway the Americana Disks that play on my 3000 are quite good..in fact real good !

Seeya
Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#59058 - 01/08/04 07:54 PM Re: Americana Disks
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Larry,
if Neil's right about the kn6&7 maybe being included again in the emc program , that would really good news.

The Americana's did sound great on the particular model they were created for.
From memory the majority were done for the kn2&3, though they brought out a couple of fantastic piano & guitar style disks for the kn5. I used to remember eagerly waiting for my technote magazine to arrive, just so I could find out what new goodies were available. Then sending faxes ( odering things) in the middle of the night, with hubby wondering what on earth I was up to (haahaa) Then that long week or so wait , while the stuff got shipped from the U.K.
Must say, brings back pleasant memories.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
I heard from Neil Blake that "Their working on it", which means including 6 and 7000.

Anyway the Americana Disks that play on my 3000 are quite good..in fact real good !

Seeya
Larry

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#59059 - 01/09/04 12:49 AM Re: Americana Disks
Mark And Michelle Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, Essex, U K
Mary,

We have a large number of styles, etc. through our database (currently in MSAccess format). If you'd like a copy please send an email to to address below.

Yours,

Michie
Mmsgosling@aol.com

#59060 - 01/09/04 12:21 PM Re: Americana Disks
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Bud Whipple:
When I think back on it, it wasn't Technote that carried the style disks way back when, it was another company located in the US, I just can't remember where. They just quit answering the phone or taking orders one day, and that was that. Their list started back with the kn900 and was upgraded with the introduction of new models, but the Americana series was still the best of all. I wonder if Technics would be interested in resuming production of the series if enough people would buy them? Still, at $35 a pop, they're out of my reach. Oh well.........

I have just dug out my old Amercana disk catalogue whic was part of the main Technote catalogue and it brings to mind that there were several americana disks that were very scarce and are now very rare

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online