SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5872 - 10/09/02 05:43 AM Not soundcards again... boring
Rotary Offline

Loc: newcastle-upon-tyne, England
Hello im sorry to bore you with another sound card question, but i need help. I have an athlon 700 pc with a soundblaster Live platinum running cubase 5. (im looking to upgrade to cubase sx soon) I use an extrenal synth, sampler and mackie mixer. Im looking for a soundcard which has very low latency as my soundblaster is shit. I dont really understand recording with soundcards. When sequencing my sampler with cubase via the MIDI out from the sound card, i need a card that will let me then route the sampler output back into the sound card and record in real time back into cubase. ( is this something which is just taken for granted with any card) The same would apply to my synth. i also use a lot of vst instruments and plug-ins so i would need a sound card which takes these into account as well. Im not fussed about a card with synthesising capabilities i just wnat it to sequence and record my synhs and sampler, have excellent sound quality, preferably support games and cost less than £350. (is this asking too much?) If there is anyone out there with a similar set-up that have great results with a certain card then please let me know, cheers matt.

------------------

#5873 - 10/16/02 04:08 AM Re: Not soundcards again... boring
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hiho,
I have a similar set-up. All the things that you want from your soundcard are very reasonable and any half decent card should be able to handle those jobs without any problem.

As far as triggering your sampler goes, you simply send a midi out cable from your computer soundcard into the back of your sampler. Then you have a standard lead (like the ones you'd use for a guitar or keyboard) going from the audio output of your sampler into the back of your soundcard. On cubase you simply hit play and record and that's it- the tune will get played, the midi info will get sent to your sampler, the sample will play some sounds and the audio out from your sampler will go to into the back of your soundcard.

The same applies for your synths and keyboards. VST instruments also won't be a problem.

And finally a word about latency. Just remember, you don't need to rob a bank to be able to afford a card with negligable latency. The difference between 7ms and 9ms is hardly worth worrying about and with a semi decent card you'll be able to trigger VSTi's live without any problems at all.

As far the golden question of which card?

Well... I'm not in the business of advertising for anyone, but the card I've got cost £180 and I by now there are probably some cards which are even cheaper and which to an equally good job.

Stay cool

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online