SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#57282 - 09/05/02 02:58 PM SD Cards
Mel Trevey Offline

Loc: Ft Myers, Fl, USA
Does anyone know if there are any functional differences bewteen brands of SD Cards?..for example Panasonic, SanDisk, High Speed Lexar...I understand Matsushita (Panasonic), SanDisk and Toshiba jointly developed the Secure Digital Card...Logically it would seem the SD Card being a storage media ,there would be no differences between brands, however, in electronics not everything is logical.

------------------
Mel

#57283 - 09/05/02 03:39 PM Re: SD Cards
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I think you'll find that an SD card, is an SD card, is an SD card, since presumably, they have to comply with the SD standard. I have three different types and have not experienced any problems.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#57284 - 09/06/02 01:06 AM Re: SD Cards
technicsplayer Offline

I'm with Bill. There are large differences in performance in other types of flash card, for instance compact flash in terms of speed etc. However Panasonic declare their read/write performance, and without having looked at the spec of other SD cards it would be logical that they would need to match a basic spec to gain a license to manufacture the format. Therefore the only difference to justify price differentials would appear to be the eventual reliability.

It is easy to see performance differences in digital cameras when saving large TIFF images to flash, which may be 9 MB each picture for instance, for technics and midi files any performance difference is likely to be insignificant.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online