SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#56433 - 10/01/04 09:40 PM Re: Your favorite song --- A Scott Yee post
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Ted,
In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning and Here's that rainy day -- I think I'm going to melt. John C.

#56434 - 10/02/04 03:46 AM Re: Your favorite song --- A Scott Yee post
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I have a fairly wide taste as far as music is concerned - from Rock, Jazz, Big Band, Country, Classical and some of the more melodic 'Pop' songs of the past few decades. On keyboard, I mostly like to play the 'Standards' and 'Evergreens'. Like other contributors to this thread, I could easily fill a page with individual titles - many of which have already been posted above. So, I would just mention the following artists, whose performances I have enjoyed over the years and continue to enjoy thanks to recordings made by them.

Count Basie - just about anything - but particularly Kid from Red Bank (a real Stormer!), April in Paris and L'il Darlin'.
Being a drummer, I love to listen to and watch the artistry of Buddy Rich.
Oscar Peterson - the Master.
Ella Fitzgerald.
Francis Albert Sinatra
The incomparable Louis Armstrong
George Shearing.
The Eagles - Country Rock at it's best.
Jacques Loussier playing Bach - particularly his version of Air in G (The Hamlet Cigar TVadvert music).
I am very fortunate to have attended live performances by all artists above - real musical highlights of my life

As far as Classical music is concerned :
Beethoven : Moonlight Sonata, 5th Symphony
Mozart : Eine Kliene Nachtmusik, Magic Flute
Tchaikovsky : Piano Concerto in Bb minor, Nutcracker Suite
Grieg : Piano Concerto in A minor, Peer Gynt
Bach : Toccata and Fugue in D minor, Brandenburg Concertos
Rachmaninov : Piano Concerto No.2, 18th Variation on on a theme by Paganini
Chopin, Etude in C minor, Piano Sonatas
Wagner - his Prelude to Act 3 of Lohengrin sends the proverbial shivers up my spine!!

Country music - I particulary enjoy the relaxed style of Don Williams and Willie Nelson.

.....and finally, believe it or not, Status Quo !!! I just love the simple basic raw drive, enthusiasm and fun they put into their performances. I've been to several of their live gigs and although I was partially deaf for a day following the concerts, I thoroughly enjoyed every one

Some mixture Eh ??

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#56435 - 10/02/04 05:45 AM Re: Your favorite song --- A Scott Yee post
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
A tough but interesting question, John/Scott. It forces to think about: why does one like special songs/music.
I realise that I have a wide range of favorites, or better to say music.
Of course there are many songs and bands from the 60's en 70's, which CD's I frequently play.
As in former days I played the guitar, you will not be surprised that the Shadows are on my list. Even as Duane Eddy (The Guitar Man). But I remember also Django Rheinhart (Gypsy Jazz) and Julian Breen (Classic/ Spanish).
Many titles I could write down from the Jazz scenes; like Stan Getz, Duke Ellington, Oscar Peterson, Ben Webster and the Hammond virtuose Jimmy Smith etc.
Also the (big) bands like Billy Vaughn (Sail along silvery moon ; Raunchy), Mancini, Jobim, Glenn Miller, James Last etc.
Even I like many songs with house & dance styles and computer-made-music. And synthesizer music from e.g. Michel Jarre
The 'red line' in which music I like I think it is if the song feels good. (e.g. good composition, harmonic and melodious)
If you whish to see more favorites: please list the songs of the great KESO-guest players; about 580 songtitles

I must stop now, I have to listen to a new CD I bought: Harmony from Dan Gibson (relaxation music or easy listening: Exploring Nature With Music)
Cheers,
Cees

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 10-02-2004).]

#56436 - 10/03/04 03:38 AM Re: Your favorite song --- A Scott Yee post
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi there - All I can say to all the various players who have listed their favourites. Ditto Ditto Ditto

I sat down last evening at 6p.m. to play one or two favourites. At 9.30p.m. with a crick in my neck and after playing constantly I realised I hadn't even played a small percentage of the songs I love.

I too love 30s, 40s and 50s and the odd song from the later decades:-
Irving Berlin
George Shearing
Gus Kahn
Ivor Novello
Michel Legrand
Simon and Garfunkel
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Hoagy Carmichael
Lionel Richie
Bee Gees
ALL Frank Sinatra's
All Tony Bennett
All Nat King Cole
Celine Dion
Andrea Bocelli
Very partial to Marches

A lovely way to spend an evening
I don't want to walk without you
When you were sweet 16
For the first time (Rod Stewart)
Brother can you spare a dime
Young and Foolish
These Foolish things
Misty
Nightingale sang in Berkeley Square
Stardust
Body and Soul
Cry my a river
I apologise
If ever I would leave you
If you go away
I had the craziest dream last night
The party's over
Rags to Riches
Somewhere
We'll gather lilacs
Somewhere along the way
For all we know (both versions)
The old lamplighter
Till Then
Dream
Once in a while
At last
I know why
Bewitched
Where e'er you walk (Handel)
Meditation (from Thais)
Victorian Parlour Songs
etc., etc., etc.,

Just scratching the surface - I am now off to play a few hundred more - it may take me the rest of my life and I still wouldn't run out of songs to play. Joan

#56437 - 10/04/04 09:10 AM Re: Your favorite song --- A Scott Yee post
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi Scott,

I do agree that "This Masquerade" is another favorite of mine.

I started life in the 50s but because my dad played piano in the bars (an at home) I grew up with a love of music from the 20s, 30s and 40s as well.

While I listen most to Clasic Rock from the 50s to the early 80s when I sit to play I find I most often play songs that are on all of these lists.

Why is that? I feel it's because even though I like Rock most of it does not sound as good as the older songs when played without lyrics. For Example, while Jonny B Good is a great song (to me) it does not have much of a melody.

I have a friend who plays a mean guitar but he only like Rock and Disco. Since neither of us sings we don't play much because the songs sound bland with vocals.

It's not true for all Rock but it is for a lot of it.

Best Wishes to All
Heather

#56438 - 10/04/04 10:35 AM Re: Your favorite song --- A Scott Yee post
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I'll Take Care Of Your Cares
I'll Take Care Of Your Cares. Words & Music by Mort Dixon & James Monaco
Recorded by Frankie Laine, 1967 (#39) D9 Edim Fdim D6 B7
-------------------------------------------
I Wish You LoveI Wish You Love. Words & Music by Charles Trenet English Translation by Albert A. Beach Recorded by Frank Sinatra, 1964 Gdim Dm DM ...
BEBOP

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 10-04-2004).]

#56439 - 10/05/04 10:27 PM Re: Your favorite song --- A Scott Yee post
smiles Offline

Loc: Palm Springs,Ca USA and Washi...
Holy Moly, that is difficult. I looked at John.C's and 98% of his list would be my list and then about 60% of all the others.
Isn't music grand?

Peter

#56440 - 10/06/04 07:08 AM Re: Your favorite song --- A Scott Yee post
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[B]Holy Moly, that is difficult. I looked at John.C's and 98% of his list would be my list and then about 60% of all the others.
Isn't music grand? Peter

Peter, if you are playing 98% of what's on my list, then you are playing the right songs!! ha ha ha ha, John C. (grin)

#56441 - 10/08/04 02:32 PM Re: Your favorite song --- A Scott Yee post
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've finally found time to sit here and list some of my favorite songs. As I said in my earlier post on this topic, I favor the music of the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. Some good music has been written occasionally since then, but the vast majority of what masquerades as music today is, as I have so often remarked, just noise pollution. My opinion of course. So here's my list (not in any specific order of preference):

Try A Little Tenderness
You Do Something To Me
Embraceable You
My Blue Heaven
Misty
Teach Me Tonight
Who Can I Turn To
The Days Of Wine And Roses
The Girl From Ipanema
Shangrila
Come Fly With Me
Georgia
Don't Blame Me
Pennies From Heaven
It's Magic
Over The Rainbow
Because Of You
I Left My Heart In San Francisco
Once In A While
Satin Doll
Amor
Arrivederci Roma
Moonlight In Vermont
Hawaiian Wedding Song
Aloha Oe
Moon River
Moonglow
I'm In The Mood For Love
These Foolish Things
Moonlight Serenade
Everything I Have Is Yours
Ebb Tide
The Shadow Of Your Smile
Love Is A Many Splendored Thing

I have deliberately omitted country music because the list would be too long. However, country music is in my heart and soul.

I was in the gym today for my usual workout. The PA system is always turned to the max with some voiceless idiot screaming a mindless piece of repetitive "noise pollution", my definition of today's pop music. Thank goodness I can take my personal CD player and earphones along and listen to good music. My poor little CD player has to work hard in its attempt to override the noise pollution. It can't cope completely, but it does a pretty good job.

Best Wishes to All,

Chuck
Manchester, UK

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online