SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#55259 - 01/03/04 08:34 PM Met Uncle Dave today...oh my...
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
As fate (or the good Lord) would have it, I had the privilege of meeting Uncle Dave today live and in person! Our rendevous in the parking lot of a local Wawa market (yes, that's the name of a chain here in the northeast...I think it's a local indian term)
anyway, our meeting resulted with a most amazing result...but I think I'll let him tell you the rest. Your turn, UD...

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#55260 - 01/04/04 12:15 PM Re: Met Uncle Dave today...oh my...
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
As fate (or the good Lord) would have it, I had the privilege of meeting Uncle Dave today live and in person! Our rendevous in the parking lot of a local Wawa market (yes, that's the name of a chain here in the northeast...I think it's a local indian term)
anyway, our meeting resulted with a most amazing result...but I think I'll let him tell you the rest. Your turn, UD...

Tim

He will tell us that he has done the honest thing and bought a KN7000 at last.
So Tim where will that leave you.

#55261 - 01/04/04 01:02 PM Re: Met Uncle Dave today...oh my...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Johnnie,
Uncle Dave looks like he's finally taken the plunge, and is giving a kn7 a try.
Just noticed a posting on the main synthzone arranger forum. The guys over there are speculating as to how long he'll keep it ( haahaa)

Tim, are you now keeping your VA7 instead or are you going to try something new?

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie.c:
He will tell us that he has done the honest thing and bought a KN7000 at last.
So Tim where will that leave you.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#55262 - 01/04/04 01:49 PM Re: Met Uncle Dave today...oh my...
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Johnnie,
Uncle Dave looks like he's finally taken the plunge, and is giving a kn7 a try.
Just noticed a posting on the main synthzone arranger forum. The guys over there are speculating as to how long he'll keep it ( haahaa)

Tim, are you now keeping your VA7 instead or are you going to try something new?

best wishes
Rikki

Hi Rikki
It looks like UD is not a happy chappie with the yammi
and I expect he will soon be coming over to give us a visit.
That should put a bit of life into the forum with a few sparks.

#55263 - 01/04/04 11:29 PM Re: Met Uncle Dave today...oh my...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
No sparks ... just optimism. My main gripe with Technics has always been the drum sounds and the chord recognition, but since I have separate outs for the drums (to facilitate outboard tweaking) and use very few arrengements (auto, that is) .... I think the superior sound system, full size keys, and attractive layout will be just fine for a while.

I'm so sick of trying to get used to a reduced size key and horrible feel on the Yamaha (even the Tyros was smaller) and I'm not gonna do it any more ! Whew!

Tim was a true gentleman, and the kb was everything he said it was..... perfect condition - extra goodies and a great bargain.

I'll post more as I buddy up to the beast, but I only used it one night at work so far.
Stay tuned Techies ......

#55264 - 01/05/04 01:37 AM Re: Met Uncle Dave today...oh my...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I posted this in the Arranger forum when I read the post about Uncle dave. I thought it belonged here too.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rikkisbears:

maybe editing the drums may help. You can also create a User Drum set. There are 4 Expansion Boards Available.

Hi Uncle dave, Rikki has some great ideas about the KN7. I use the User drum edit, the sound edit,and the Sound Arranger to build on the drums and basses.
The sound arranger allows you to change drums kits and basses giving you a stronger sound. The user drum kit, which I use with the sound arranger, makes the drums come right up front.

Using the style as is, then adding the sound arranger during the song gives it a lift.

Now, my favorite, THE PADS. You have three user sections with six buttons.

Normally 1 thru 4 are for some type of effets. 5 and 6 are used for major and minor solos.

This is good Dave, I put some type of drum sound, a heavy bass drum, a stronger on two snare, cymbal rides, a driving piano or guitar strumming on all four beats-adsditional drive. And----#5 has a 12 bars blues progression--#6 has a IIm7 V7 progression. All on one user section.

In the middle of a song, I press #5 and I have both hands free to work the progression. In a latin, I press #6 and ride on a IIm7 V7 latin solo. Again, both hands free to play solo.

With this method a single style can be changed in so many ways--taking away the boring repeated phrase.

There are times when I shut off the accomp. and use drums and the pads--and both hands in split mode. This sounds great in the middle of a latin song--then back to the accomp. Not boring!!!

Hope this helps Dave. There are so many other areas in the keyboard to find what you are looking for.

Enjoy, John C.

#55265 - 01/05/04 01:43 AM Re: Met Uncle Dave today...oh my...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
One more thought. Dave said he handed Tim Coaster an envolpe with his payment for the KN7000--and he did not open it. Wow!!
Some might question that--for me, That's class, Hmmmm, nice that's class---I remember when you would shake on a deal and it was solid.
It would be very easy to put people like Tim on my list of quility friends--IMHO

Have a Great Day, smile, John C.

#55266 - 01/05/04 10:56 AM Re: Met Uncle Dave today...oh my...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It works both ways. I never plugged the kb in, and Tim never counted the cash. It was a nice meeting ..... felt like coming home again. This is definatly the best part of the web for me. And thanx for all the tips so far !

#55267 - 01/05/04 02:28 PM Re: Met Uncle Dave today...oh my...
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
It must be the Southeast Pennsylvania thing ...doya knowwahtamean?

E * A * G * L * E * S

------------------
Larry Hawk
Technics For All

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#55268 - 01/05/04 02:45 PM Re: Met Uncle Dave today...oh my...
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi John,
there's some pretty amazing tips there to give a song more life and sound less repetative.

I love the pads too. I tend to think they're sometimes an ovelooked feature.
Pads 5 & 6 I tend to think could also be used as an additional simple intro or ending.
Sky's the limit. All it needs is a bit of imagination.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bruno123:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online