SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#53140 - 09/07/04 11:52 AM Music Scores
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi there - in the course of "talking by Email" to various KN players that I have "met" through this forum I have mentioned that I "borrow" music sheets/scores from my local library.

More than one of these players has mentioned that it had never occurred to them to see if their library had a sheet music section.

My local library is part of the Hampshire Country Library service and on-line, I can look at their catalogue to see if there is a particular book in any of the 100 or so branch libraries in the county. I have recently been able to track down a book that is now out of print, reserve it, and had it sent to my local library so that I could borrow it.

Worth a try if you are after a particular melody - how often have you looked at a musicbook of 20 or so songs and you have most of them already? Joan

#53141 - 09/07/04 12:18 PM Re: Music Scores
Brian Goodison Offline

Loc: Bridlington. East Yorkshire.En...
Great idea Joan,

I will pop down to Bridlington Library tomorrow and see what they have.

Regards

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian Goodison (edited 09-07-2004).]

#53142 - 09/07/04 02:57 PM Re: Music Scores
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Joan,

Thank you for making me aware that libraries are a source for sheet music and music books. I've used libraries from time to time but it never occurred to me look for music. Thanks to you, I now have two library websites in my "favorites" and will begin using libraries to obtain music when needed.

Best Wishes,

Chuck

#53143 - 09/07/04 04:51 PM Re: Music Scores
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
That might be a UK attribute only.
Here in the States, I don't recall music scores in our Public Libraries, but then I never really looked.

I'll have to go pay a visit, and check it out.

Thanks for the tip Joan..you know I appreciate it.

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#53144 - 09/07/04 05:03 PM Re: Music Scores
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
LIBRARIES in the U.S. are great resources for music! Mostly I find books full of information about composers, types of music, etc. Sometimes even find the actual songs I may be looking for....

It is a "seek & find" kind of thing....well worth the research!

#53145 - 09/07/04 11:55 PM Re: Music Scores
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Joan,
you're quit right with your appreciated suggestion. Our local library does not have musicsheets but one can order/search in the digital database of other libraries.
Beside that I visited a large library in The Hague and the collection they have is like a paradise for keyboardist: full of all kinds of musicsheets and fakebooks
The only thing to be done now is the playing
Greetings Cees

#53146 - 09/12/04 03:24 AM Re: Music Scores
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi cees,
Can we reach the library in Hague on-line? If so could you give us the internet address?
Thanks so much. John C.

#53147 - 09/12/04 07:30 AM Re: Music Scores
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi John,

I tried to help you by doing a Google search of libraries in The Hague, but there are so many. I checked the catalogs of a few of them. Some have music and others do not. Thought just maybe I could get lucky and find the one that is "the paradise for keyboardists" that Cees refers to. No luck. So hopefully Cees can provide a website for you to visit. I would be interested myself.

Best Wishes,

Chuck

#53148 - 09/12/04 09:15 AM Re: Music Scores
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Libraries in Brevard County, where I reside, have many books of music. Hal Leonard and many others, mostly for piano.

I copy (borrow) the song, cut out the solo clef, paste to blank sheet and make a copy and I have a lead sheet.

I am a country music fan and found a book with a very large collection of Hank Williams songs that I do not think are available from publishers.

Fran in Florida

#53149 - 09/12/04 09:22 AM Re: Music Scores
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi John and Chuck,
to avoid misunderstandings I have to clarify how things work here in Holland.
One can borrow books, CD's, DVD, musicsheets etc.etc. from The public local libraries. One have to be a (paying) member to borrow stuff. Mostly smaller village have less articles. The greater cities (like The Hague) has larger collections. One can borrow via the internet from your local library and reserve what you whish to have (and what is available at that moment or later). But one need a password and a registration-/membercode.
So I am sorry to disappoint you, it is only for the dutch librarymember. Maybe it is organised in the same way in your countries?

For your information there is an english pdf-file if you whish to know more about: http://www.bibliotheekdenhaag.nl/english/

The Hague is about 15 minutes cardrive; so now 'winterperiod' is coming there is now more sparetime for the inhome hobbies I guess I frequently will visited that library
Greetings,
Cees

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online