SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#51942 - 10/02/02 08:50 AM Positioning of keyboard
Catsailor Offline

These questions are for all of you pros: When playing before an audience, how do you position your keyboard in relation to the audience? Do you stand or sit when playing before the audience?

Peter

"There is a thin line between music and noise." Anon.

#51943 - 10/02/02 10:46 AM Re: Positioning of keyboard
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Peter: I usually prefer to (directly) face the audience straight on (with the back of the kb facing them). As both a singer & keyboardist, connecting to the audience thru your eyes (and not just the music), is a key ingredient to insure a highly successful show.

My kb playing position is sort of a cross between standing and sitting/leaning againest a high stool. I raise the keyboard on the KB stand (Quiklok Monolith M91) to almost standing height. This offers better stage presence (maximum visiablity), while the stool provides the support to lean against when activating the foot controler pedals, sometimes requiring to use BOTH left & right feet concurrently.

Here's a link to pics of me performing: http://www.pbase.com/scottyee/gigshots

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#51944 - 10/02/02 02:50 PM Re: Positioning of keyboard
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hey Scott ! What's that thing you're playing?? and why isn't the Logo covered??

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#51945 - 10/02/02 06:58 PM Re: Positioning of keyboard
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Hey Willum,

Quote; After all, Technics doesn't pay me for promoting their keyboard, so why not promote myself instead.

Maybe therein lies the answer.

Grandpa Doug

#51946 - 10/03/02 07:15 AM Re: Positioning of keyboard
Catsailor Offline

Thanks for the information and direction to your pictures, Scott. I wasn't sure if the keyboard is better the way you have it or the way a piano is set up, kind-of sideways. I think if the internal speakers are all that is used, your setup is the best. I just wasn't sure that anyone else saw it this way. Looks like you really enjoy entertaining!
As for the Technics logo, I don't think anyone in the audience even notices it. Unless, of course, the keyboardist is really bad.

Peter

#51947 - 10/03/02 08:17 AM Re: Positioning of keyboard
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I always perform standing (I feel it helps 'keep me on my toes ), facing the audience, unless the gig calls for purely background stuff, with me being 'transparent' to the attendees ....
t.

#51948 - 10/03/02 08:20 AM Re: Positioning of keyboard
tony mads usa Offline

PS ..... I think the 'side-angle' of a piano is only to allow the audience to see you, otherwise they would be looking at the end of the piano, with the performer being just about hidden behind it ......
t.

#51949 - 10/03/02 09:22 AM Re: Positioning of keyboard
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
why isn't the Logo covered??

Bill: Maybe I've gotten too risque and will be cited for 'indecent' exposure

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
PS ..... I think the 'side-angle' of a piano is only to allow the audience to see you, otherwise they would be looking at the end of the piano, with the performer being just about hidden behind it ......
t.

Hi Tony
Actually, the reason an 'acoustic' grand is (traditionally) positioned at a right angle to the audience is so (with its lid raised), its sound is directed (focussed) outwards towards the audience. Performing on a Synth or arranger keyboard (with PA speakers: built in or otherwise), I see no advantage to a side (right) angle keyboard setup.

#51950 - 10/03/02 10:07 AM Re: Positioning of keyboard
tony mads usa Offline

.... of course, Scott ..... obviously I only thought about the 'appearance' side of the question, and not the 'acoustic' side ... not only do I feel there is no advantage to a side angle set up for a keyboard, but especially in a solo act, I think it would look weird.......
t.

#51951 - 10/03/02 11:52 AM Re: Positioning of keyboard
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I have debated (inside my head only!) whether to sit facing the audience, or give them visibility to what I'm doing. Since I don't sing, I have opted to either face away from them (as an organist would) or angle myself ~45 degrees so I don't seem as if I'm looking at a wall.

I find that many times people seem to enjoy coming up to watch what I'm doing. I simply turn toward the audience when I'm going to speak, announce a song, do a dedication, etc.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online