SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#51569 - 01/11/04 07:23 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Sad to hear that Technics keyboards will no longer be produced. I've just ordered the EW04 expansion card - decided to get it 'while stocks last'.

Mike

#51570 - 01/11/04 07:32 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
It's a nice card Mike.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Daniell:
Sad to hear that Technics keyboards will no longer be produced. I've just ordered the EW04 expansion card - decided to get it 'while stocks last'.

Mike

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51571 - 01/12/04 02:54 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
I would like to hear some opinions from Technics Piano and Organ owners

#51572 - 01/12/04 05:02 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi All,

Business is Business and the true is that while Technics made a great keyboard the best does not always win. Most people will go for price everytime and in that arena Yahama and Casio have the market and most likely the sales.

My old PRS500 is still a very nice keyboard given a $400 price tag and if I had never heard the KN6000 and/or not been more interested in music and sound I really doubt I'd have ever moved up to the quality of the Technics sound.

I have several friends that have bought keyboards and the truth is most of them get played for the first couple of months then they get put in the closet.

As for the forum, I think we'll need it even more now since it will be our only means of support. And as was said, it's the people here and not the keyboard that makes the forum.

So let's salute the music still to be played and shared because after all it's what I like most about my keyboard and the forum, listening you all of you play!

My best wished to all
Heather

#51573 - 01/12/04 11:21 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by shcox:

As for the forum, I think we'll need it even more now since it will be our only means of support. And as was said, it's the people here and not the keyboard that makes the forum.

So let's salute the music still to be played and shared because after all it's what I like most about my keyboard and the forum, listening you all of you play!

My best wished to all
Heather

Perhaps it is not a good idea to alienate the what somebody referred to as GUROS in a not so polite manner in an earlier thread.
whether we are basic, intermediate, or advanced this forum will rely on these knowledgeable people more than ever in the future so let us respect what they know and and hope they don't object to us picking their brains

#51574 - 01/12/04 11:58 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Gosh Alec,
what's next for you. The Kn's must have been a pretty big part of your life considering the extended manuals you wrote for the kn6/7.
The kn7000 Website and the preparation & tweaking of the styles for the kn's.
Your amazing knowledge of the workings of the KN keyboards, obviously means you enjoy exploring every facet of a keyboard.

Any plans to explore another brand of keyboard, or does it give you a bit more free time to spend on music and hopefully the forum.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
At last the announcement has been made in Japan and it's official - no more Technics.
A sad day.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51575 - 01/12/04 01:48 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
technicsplayer Offline

certainly a part Rikki, but not necessarily a huge part, the 7k book was completed in a relatively short time from contracted, and the 6k book from initial request too. Real-time hard drive streaming software samplers are the future, with a sample quality far ahead of today’s keyboards. I've been working on DVD creation for some time now and am currently testing hand held movie players (multimedia walkmans) and video compression systems, which will be a very big growth area in the next few years.

About the 7k this is the question that everyone has asked me in private and have just said it will be interesting to see how long it takes for something else to be offered that actually tempts me to stop using a 7k with all soundcards. I can't see anything on the horizon now, but we will see...

#51576 - 01/12/04 03:15 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Alec,
I've never quite known what your tie up was to the Technics keyboards ie hobbyist, consultant etc etc
Obviously you're far more involved with electronics than I could have imagined.

can you run this one past me again

"Real-time hard drive streaming software samplers are the future, with a sample quality far ahead of today’s keyboards. "

Does this have anything to do with music/musical instruments ?

or mainly consumer items, dvd etc
(like the ones you mentioned.)

Always been a bit of an electronics gadget nutter ( haahaa)
Can't begin to imagine what the future's going to bring in the way of electronics.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by technicsplayer:
[B]Real-time hard drive streaming software samplers are the future, with a sample quality far ahead of today’s keyboards.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51577 - 01/13/04 09:45 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Rikki, as far as music is concerned it is just relaxation as a self taught hobby, the Technics and non-Technics related consultancy work was offered as a result of writing on forums, I have many other interests.

Top end keyboards store their samples in Rom of around 64-96MB nowadays, the 7k with all soundcards has 128MB for instance. This digital data is compressed with proprietary algorithms so the wave equivalent is several times greater than this.

As computers get faster it becomes possible to store the samples on hard drive and retrieve them fast enough to play live with full polyphony. But these software synthesis programs can have a sample library of 20GigaBytes or much more, huge amounts of data just for orchestral strings for example. Not only that but the resolution can be many orders of magnitude greater than the existing quality (32 bit 96kHz samples rather than 16 bit 48kHz) so that when mixed down to cd the low level losses are negligible.
On a keyboard you can pan left/right and give a pretend depth effect with reverb. With software samplers you can mix in dolby 5.1 surround sound. At some stage the hardware keyboard as we know it will be redundant, since so many nuances of acoustic instrument playing can each be separately sampled and mapped by pressure and other controllers to the keyboard at a resolution that is breathtaking.

As excellent as our instruments are at a huge range of popular music, you cannot sit down and multitrack the slow movement of Dvorak's New World symphony and get a sound that anywhere near approaches a recording of von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. But one day soon you might start being able to get much closer...

#51578 - 01/13/04 12:24 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
shakeel Ahmed Offline

Loc: gujranwala,punjab,Pakistan
No more Technics.......Oh please dont tell me.I have to admit it is Technics which showed me a new angle in making music soooo
beautifuly.

I some time think who is responssible for all that.mine guess is:its
YAMAHA,a big boss prevailing over music industry very rapidly.I love my kn6500 and
will keep on.I implore: o please do not go TECHNICS come back we will love u even more.
Your beautiful keyboards will live forever
in our hearts.DOOOO come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online