Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#509052 - 10/20/23 03:33 PM Yamaha Genos 2 is now official
gambler Offline

#509053 - 10/21/23 05:16 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
It actually says Workstations, so there may be more than one, as to whether the Genos will be included, we will have to wait and see. (Talking to dealers the current Genos is still selling well)

Bill

#509056 - 10/21/23 06:22 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: abacus]
gambler Offline

We don’t have to wait and see. It is the new Genos 2 which will be released on November 15th. It has been confirmed and is official from Yamaha.

#509058 - 10/21/23 11:07 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Well, we already have a new Montage M, now the new Genos is coming.
Meanwhile there's a message on Yamaha's site that shortage of semiconductors is still an issue.
It's easy to expect that the new Genos will have an USB audio feature. An optimist would hope that it would be a multichannel audio, but so far Yamaha teaches us that even Genos should have limitations.
Quite possibly we will hear something about the sound engine, some changes that now allow to produce voices more authentically "like never before".
The new Montage M has a polyphonic aftertouch keyboard, but only the 88 key version. Not sure that Yamaha would add something that makes the production more expensive.
Basically instead of Genos, people will be buying Genos 2, because it is new, just like with any other thing out there...
What I mean, that it is not supposed to change the game by its definition;
A 76-key version of SX600 would be a game changer, but I doubt that the game is allowed to be changed. Let's not talk about modules...
Let's see how much of it will be about technology and how much about marketing (emotions).

#509063 - 10/22/23 03:31 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Pretty sure that's an 88 note hammer action keybed in that short video too... would they do 76 AND 88 note and NOT a 61? surely they would offer all 3 if that were the case...

#509066 - 10/23/23 10:24 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
abacus Offline

You're assuming it is an arranger keyboard in the video, however it could be a new arranger piano.
Normally Yamaha put out more than 1 video and/or teaser, so there may be more on the way giving more information.

Bill

#509068 - 10/23/23 11:26 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It would be interesting to hear from G1 users about what their primary hope for feature improvements (not sounds) in the G2…Major bug fixes, new features, UI changes etc.

It might be interesting to compare wishes with results when it finally gets released.

#509069 - 10/23/23 11:38 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Nick G]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By Nick G
Pretty sure that's an 88 note hammer action keybed in that short video too... would they do 76 AND 88 note and NOT a 61? surely they would offer all 3 if that were the case...

I’m also a bit skeptical about this being Genos 2 for the same reason. Not to mention, Clavinova’s have ALWAYS trailed the pure arranger line (Tyro/Genos) in features. Add to that that the video shows the first sound it makes is a grand piano.

Finally, I’m not sure that Yamaha would want a far cheaper (relatively!💵💵💵) Genos competing with its TOTL Clavinova’s. It would cannibalize its own very profitable product…

Jury’s out, for me. But I’d still like to hear a prioritized wishlist for the G2

#509071 - 10/23/23 03:25 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
gambler Offline

There is nothing to be skeptical about. It is a teaser for the new Genos 2. There have been a couple of teasers released, and it is now common knowledge that Genos 2 will be released on 15th November. I have also had an email from my dealer confirming the release.

#509072 - 10/23/23 05:59 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Nick G Offline

Regarding Genos 2 OS / features that I believe are a must:

- There needs to be far more options and flexibility to tweak and adjust style parts WITHOUT going into the style recorder / sequencer... such as: adjust octave levels of style parts. Being able to switch / re voice individual different drum samples of the the drum and percussion tracks in Realtime.

- For some ridiculous reason when you are in the style sequencer and you select an existing track to edit it - you cannot edit it unless you delete/erase the current track and start again... It doesn't always happen with all tracks - there may be some Yamaha logic to it - but whatever it is - its ridiculous and needs to be removed to give us the full freedom to edit ANY style track WITHOUT having to erase it first.

- Its time to be able to display more than just 10 voices or styles per page...

- Scratch the almost hidden "Legacy" icon for the "legacy voices" and just include them all in the same pages and categories as the rest of the voices (maybe allow us to check a box to include or exclude them from showing)

- When selecting multipads in the Mixer all the editing and realtime controls are blank - there is no way to adjust cutoff / res, individual volumes, EQ or Chorus and Reverb in realtime... Why is this missing???

- This one may be subjective but anyone who has a Yamaha Synth from the last 20 years, Any Roland or Korg Arranger from 2000 onwards will agree that overall the sound on Yamaha arrangers is still compressed and lacks punch compared (especially in the drums and bass)... don't care what they say, don't care about "master EQ and compression settings"... There is something going on inside the Genos / PSR line that Yamaha wont be honest and upfront about. I have had to spend so much time loading in drum and bass samples to bring it alive - it shouldn't have to be like that.

#509074 - 10/24/23 01:15 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By gambler
There is nothing to be skeptical about. It is a teaser for the new Genos 2. There have been a couple of teasers released, and it is now common knowledge that Genos 2 will be released on 15th November. I have also had an email from my dealer confirming the release.

It says Workstations on the website, so what about the rest.

Bill

#509075 - 10/24/23 05:58 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: abacus]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
A lot of comment from no Genos players is always fun to read , They also demanding a lot when a new Ferarri comes out keys cool

#509076 - 10/24/23 11:16 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By gambler

And dealers ALWAYS tell truth, right?

Until I see the full official announcement from Yamaha, with photos and full specs, all the above reasons to be skeptical still apply. And how about you explain Yamaha’s choice to have the only shot of the keyboard itself show a fully weighted 88?

My best guess is a new Clavinova based on the Genos 1. And that’s all ANYONE can say for sure. A guess. Unlinked references to unverified sources barely constitute anything so specific.

You wouldn’t be the first person to be led astray by a dealer unsure what Yamaha (or most other brands) actually mean in these cryptic teasers.

#509077 - 10/24/23 04:57 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Diki]
gambler Offline

There is a clue in the form of a rather large 2 with a countdown to the 15th November. Personally I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks, it isn’t my problem if you have doubts. If you have a problem with an unreliable dealer then perhaps find another dealer you can rely on like mine.

As for what else is being released, I do not know. But Yamaha referred to the Genos as a workstation when they first released it. This is common knowledge and has
been discussed before as to why they call it a workstation instead of an arranger.

I shall look forward to some apologies on the 15th November from those doubters out there. 😉

#509078 - 10/24/23 09:41 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
It better be real........otherwise i dumped a ton of pennies for nothing yesterday buying one!! LOL

I am a Genos I owner for over 6 years. It is time for an upgrade. Yamaha has never disappointed me yet on a new release. I can't wait to see the new StyleMaker..........Oh! I'm thinking out loud. Just kidding but that is on the top of my want list. -charley

#509079 - 10/25/23 01:07 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: rattley]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By rattley
It better be real........otherwise i dumped a ton of pennies for nothing yesterday buying one!! LOL

I am a Genos I owner for over 6 years. It is time for an upgrade. Yamaha has never disappointed me yet on a new release. I can't wait to see the new StyleMaker..........Oh! I'm thinking out loud. Just kidding but that is on the top of my want list. -charley

But will it make you play better? or would it be cheaper to learn new playing techniques, to make you an even better player than you are now.

Bill

#509080 - 10/25/23 05:17 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: abacus]
Kabinopus Offline

It better be real........otherwise i dumped a ton of pennies for nothing yesterday buying one!!
Good for you! 6 years seems like a proper time for an upgrade.

Originally Posted By abacus

But will it make you play better? or would it be cheaper to learn new playing techniques, to make you an even better player than you are now.

Bill

Styles tend to sound more pleasant with each new model, there are new voices of a better quality in new models, why should one reject it when he has a chance to get it?

Personally I wouldn't judge an arranger player for not becoming a classically trained pianist, or a jazz pianist, or a band keyboardist. But this sort of recommendation I see here - not to focus on the arranger part and focus on the piano part. Well, we can do that, but this is an arranger forum after all.

I would agree that for someone who has Genos or a similar keyboard and hardly plays it that buying a new one wouldn't fix his problem, but for someone who actually enjoyed it for years, well, personally I would respect any choice regarding further purchases.

#509131 - 11/04/23 03:30 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
DannyUK Offline

So far, from what I've seen of the three very small snippet videos that Yamaha have released, it looks and sounds very close to the G1, which so far I have found quite underwhelming, or maybe I shouldn't really be too surprised because I've always wondered how Yamaha could improve on their Genos, it's a very tall order and it really has to be something very different but so far it really isn't.

#509138 - 11/04/23 08:47 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Diki Offline

Preordering an arranger you haven’t seen or heard…

What could POSSIBLY go wrong..?! 🎹🤡

#509143 - 11/05/23 01:38 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Diki]
rattley Offline

"I've never met a Yamaha I didn't like!!"

I'm not worried at all. I have a dealer I trust and I trust Yamaha too. This will be keyboard number 8 from the same dealer since PSR 1000. Keep 'em coming!!! -charley

#509145 - 11/06/23 07:26 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: rattley]
DannyUK Offline

"I've never met a Yamaha I didn't like!!"

I'm not worried at all. I have a dealer I trust and I trust Yamaha too. This will be keyboard number 8 from the same dealer since PSR 1000. Keep 'em coming!!! -charley

Hey Charley,

I think you're pretty much guaranteed the usual quality from Yamaha so pre ordering before seeing it would be a safe'ish bet here. I think to be fair, with all the Yamaha's I have owned, the model after it was usually better, or at the very worst it was only slightly better (in the case of the T4 to T5 in my opinion), but it was still better. So we can safely say the Genos2 will be better in whatever amount it will be. It's a nice feeling to look forward to something like that, not long now for you !!

#509147 - 11/06/23 09:13 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Diki Offline

That’s what the pre-orderers for the Korg PA5X thought. ‘What could possibly go wrong?’

Things have got so screwy lately post-Covid chip supply problems and the fracturing of design teams during lockdown and remote working, I think I’d want a solid hands on before I pried open my wallet. I realize that to some here, dropping $5k+ on something pre-ordered is chump change. But to many, that’s a significant number.

I think the mad rush to be the first on your block with the latest toy is a significantly riskier thing than in the past. 🎹💵💵💵

#509151 - 11/06/23 03:03 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Diki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Diki

I think the mad rush to be the first on your block with the latest toy is a significantly riskier thing than in the past. 🎹💵💵💵

I think that implying that THAT is his motive for pre-ordering a piece of gear that is merely an improvement over a piece of gear that he already owns and is familiar with is not only highly insulting but also is hardly a BIG RISK. MORE IMPORTANTLY, whose business is it how someone else wants to spend their own money? Sometimes I suspect there might be a more sinister motive behind people who never buy anything but are always ready and willing to criticize those who do. As a mild gearhead, I personally am not willing to go ten years between gear purchases (unless FINANCES dictate otherwise).

As for the risk factor, what's the difference between that and pre-ordering my 2024 Genesis. Love my 2021 and can't wait for the new version. I don't think anyone has ever even been in the back seat of my current one but so what, IT'S MY MONEY. I can't imagine how it must feel going through life always looking for the negative in everything. Oh well, as usual I've probably said too much.

chas

#509152 - 11/06/23 06:01 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: cgiles]
gambler Offline

Not sure why he thinks it’s risky, especially as he was skeptical about my post announcing the new Genos. If it doesn’t exist, it can’t be risky 😉

#509154 - 11/07/23 12:18 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
abacus Offline

Newbies also come across this site looking for information, and just giving one side is not helpful to them. (Just because you don't like someone else's opinion does not make it right or wrong, that's just life)

Bill

#509155 - 11/07/23 07:34 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
I think we have had this argument before. The "improvements" of the latest and greatest Yamaha keyboard (or any brand) will nearly always be incremental in nature. But everyone has a hobby (not talking about pros who can write it off). Some have boats or cars or whatever else it might be, and hobbies tend to be expensive. Some have keyboards and will buy the next new thing regardless. I can see it in a way since they usually trade-in or sell their old machine, so the cost is not as great. In any case, it's their money to spend as they see fit and for some 5-6 K for a keyboard is nothing. But I don't think the Genos 2 will be revolutionary.

#509157 - 11/07/23 04:15 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: abacus]
gambler Offline

It’s also not helpful when newbies are looking for information on the release of a new keyboard and certain people are doubting the information given, which was in fact genuine and came from the manufacturers own website.

#509158 - 11/08/23 09:25 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Diki Offline

I read plenty of posts from pre-orderers of the PA5X who regretted assuming that despite the chip shortages and disruption to normal workflow that the Covid lockdown obviously had, the launch of the PA5X would be problem free.

Look guys, I’m not TELLING anyone what to do, no matter how hard Chas wants to pretend I am. I am merely offering an opinion, albeit an opinion with some facts rather than blind faith behind it.

If you have to stretch the analogy to the automotive industry (thousands of times the size of the keyboard industry) it means you have failed to find exception within the industry that actually makes arrangers. Both the PA5X and the Event shipped with considerable software flaws. It’s not a stretch to extend that to Yamaha.

Let’s revisit this when (if!) they actually start shipping them.

#509159 - 11/08/23 04:55 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Diki]
gambler Offline

Let’s revisit this when (if!) they actually start shipping them. [/quote]

(If,) With respect Diki, why should anyone take on board your thoughts when you are being quite disrespectful in insisting there is a doubt about the new Genos 2. It is common knowledge the new Genos will be unveiled on 15 th November this year. There are teasers on Yamaha Eu showing the new keyboard.

Russ

#509163 - 11/10/23 10:19 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands

#509165 - 11/11/23 07:07 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Impuls]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Impuls

Looks like the really big news is that the G2 i equipped with solar panels and
lithium batteries so it will be possible to power up and play it out in the woods. 😁 🎶🎵🎶 🌞
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#509166 - 11/11/23 08:05 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#509170 - 11/12/23 02:28 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Diki Offline

Personally, I don’t think we owe any ‘respect’ to the arranger industry, any more than we owe respect to the refrigerator companies, or truck manufacturers, or the makers of ANY consumer product. They are only as good as their last product, and when you see industry wide flaws in new products (anybody here want to tell me that the refrigerator they just bought will last as long as their previous fridge?) you shouldn’t get your hackles up if some of these flaws are pointed out.

We’ve had a decade or so of TOTL arrangers being sold (at rapidly increasing prices) with quite considerable software issues that can take a year or more to be addressed. I don’t think it’s inappropriate to remind everyone about this during the anticipation for a product being ‘teased’ in completely unrevealing trailers. Even the Genos had to be updated in a major software revision, and Yamaha were of old pretty reliable at launching ‘finished’ products.

So if you’re upset that I'm not paying Yamaha enough ‘respect’, I think you are too invested in one brand, and might benefit from backing out a bit and looking at the big picture. Things have taken a downturn in reliability recently. That, in my book, is no cause for ‘respect’.

As I always say, an arranger is a TOOL for making music, like a trowel is a tool for gardening. If there’s something wrong with how trowels are getting made these days, do you think you owe ‘respect’ to the trowel industry? Or to a fridge? It’s a consumer product, and what it deserves is scrutiny and a degree of skepticism, not blind allegiance and ‘respect’…

#509172 - 11/12/23 04:24 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Diki]
gambler Offline

I’ve reserved a Genos 2, after receiving another email from my dealer who is having a demo day on the 1st December, for the keyboard that some think doesn’t exist 😉
Or perhaps they’re right and think the last teaser from Yamaha was for a new chainsaw 🤔

#509173 - 11/13/23 12:51 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Every Arranger is just rehash of the same old bells and whistles, nothing really excites me, at this moment, if the Genos 2 has audio styles then they might just have a winner.

#509174 - 11/13/23 01:42 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
abacus Offline

The thing is software is getting so complicated today that it is not possible to test for every possible fault, so yes some will get through and will need to be patched, so if anybody believes that a new arranger is going to come out with no problems, then they are living in cloud cuckoo land. (Even Apple has to keep releasing bug fixes left right and centre, and don't get me started on the motor industry)

Bill

#509182 - 11/15/23 01:04 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
abacus Offline

Not long to go now, so get ready to drop whatever you are doing and get the popcorn out.

#509183 - 11/15/23 08:29 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]

Well, this one was on 'the air' 1 hour before the official presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inVozp-eXbM

Don't ask me why I'm not overwhelmed about what I see and hear so far, maybe the official video that starts in about 30 min. or so will.
Oh well, the price may make me overwhelmed deLuxe....

#509184 - 11/15/23 09:06 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
rb293 Offline

Loc: Binghamton, NY USA

#509185 - 11/15/23 09:43 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I just sat through the Bonners You Tube demo and loved every minute of it!

If I were still performing, I would buy one in a heartbeat. What a wonderful sounding arranger keyboard, with an incredible number of new features. Anything under $5,000 would be a fantastic buy, IMO. As for the complexity, yes, it may be a bit overwhelming to a lot of non-techie players, especially those that never seem to get around to taking the user manual out of the Zip-Loc bag it arrived in. In contrast, for those of us that do take the time to explore the many features, and utilize them to their fullest capacity, this would be the best thing since sliced bread.

If I were not so messed up, physically, I would have one on order now!

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#509186 - 11/15/23 10:27 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
abacus Offline

There will be videos left right on centre now it has been officially launched, however I think there was a bit of cock up with some videos being uploaded before the official release. (Doubt if anybody is going to warry about it though)

As to the instrument itself, it's got some nice extra features for a OMB, (And home players of course) but not really too much if you wanted to use it in a band. (Adding an FM synth and Steinberg's reverb is good though)

Overall, I didn't find anything that said buy me, and certainly not enough to upgrade from the existing Genos.

It's going to please a lot of people, but just doesn't float my boat.

Bill

#509187 - 11/15/23 10:30 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
KeyBTyros Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
A LIVE EVENT i dont know where the LIVE was Because it was actualy al pre recorded !
All people i have had around thought it sucked bigtime !
this is no Upgrade after 6 years !
The most ridiculous part is even ????
Yamaha just made the anoucnement
and this GUY is already playing it while nobody has even the chance to buy it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8noNnRMs3qM
YAMAHA go [potty mouth] your self with this BS release of a fake LIVE event
And how THE F is it possible that this guy allready has the Keyboard
So [potty mouth] NOT loyal to your customers GO F YOURSELF i am DONE
Because i dont like it when people behave like this !!!!!!

#509188 - 11/15/23 11:02 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
rattley Offline

"Don't go away mad.........just go away!!

Whew!! I'm definitely that home player who loved what I heard. I'm so glad now that I have one ordered. I think the Bonner vid showed more than the Yamaha one. At least from an audio stand point. Really looking forward to that midi to style program the Yamaha vid showed. The existing style maker might work better depending on the source file? Maybe requiring less button pushing. We shall see.......I see the light!!! -charley

#509189 - 11/15/23 12:06 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: rattley]
KeyBTyros Offline

My friend,

I always see the light look at my avatar
There's only 1 thing you never should do and thats is F me
The worst thing from all is i even have to buy it because to keep my money because when i would not my Genos 1 is not worth anything anymore but holy crap i am pissed and trust me i am not the only one ! I am waiting to see what happens but i am certainly not happy and wonder if thats gonna change ! for me its a big fail after 6 years

#509190 - 11/15/23 12:11 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Kabinopus Offline

I watched the presentation as well, KeyBTyros, saw your comments there in the chat :-) you are a very committed player so I can see why you are taking it seriously; still, perhaps there are things yet to process; I also expected (hoped) that there would be some live event, but Yamaha chose to be more practical (and safe);

The thing I'm processing right now is that there were only around 2.000 viewers watching this event. Probably a lot of people were busy and didn't have a chance to watch it. Nevertheless, a new TOTL keyboard from the biggest manufacturer after a long waiting, and in the whole world - 2.000 viewers. It's quite a small number by YouTube standarts. It kind of tells me that any effort in this field is a big effort... When there's 2.000 people ready to watch your presentation... maybe it's difficult to show a genuine enthusiasm; possible they decided that a well-prepared pre-recorded video would make a stronger statement;

So, fewer potential customer means higher prices; higher prices means fewer customers; a vicious circle...

The reality is that people today produce music while using their computers and $500 equipment, and they get sound decent enough for commercial use. Their "studios" a portable enough to fit into a backpack. In the same time arrangers offer something different; but they are no longer a mainstream product. Mainstream products today have names like "Omnisphere", "Kontakt", "FL Studio" and so on...

What I also wanted to say:

Maybe we shouldn't compare Genos 2 to Genos 1... okay, we should, but let's compare Genos 2 to the original Tyros. I think the difference will be evident. But difference between the first Tyros and the second one won't be that drastic. Maybe these are the steps of evolution, they are more obvious from a distance. But, I agree, today we are used to faster changes; while phones have learnt how to talk and listen, arrangers haven't changed that much...

#509191 - 11/15/23 12:23 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Kabinopus]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
After listening to the best Yamaha has playing it, the Ketron Event just became even more attractive. Ketron, you are even more clearly now in a league of your own! Well done. My arranger LUST just shrank from two to only one. Don't think I will ever need a double keyboard stand again.

#509192 - 11/15/23 02:23 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
TheWolf Offline

Loc: Finland
Well let me tell ya, I am disappointed as ef. I was hoping to blow my wad (of money) all over this baby, but it looks unlikely.

6 years and they come up with some reverbs, DX7 sounds and new drums.

- same loser screen, still small and not tiltable
- no new innovation at all in the style control department, variation, breaks, fills etc. they could have done some AI stuff
- same old vocal harmony, should be TC Helicon quality by now
- same buttons same levers same faders.. they could have added bells and whistles. like an extra leslie lever to the left, for organ stuff, improved placement of other knobs based on player input. some larger programmable pads for extra drum accents and crash cymbs
- no dedicated foot controller since the MFC-10 which was a good unit on the Tyros, of course it's discontinued now. they should have designed a new one for the G2 in a perfect world

I tell ya they don't get my respect. No respect at all. I'll blow my wad on something else then, or just invest the money. This is a shame, I was excited to get back on the stage. I guess I'll have to get a second/third/fourth hand Tyros5..

And Martin Harris looks crushed. Something very peculiar about the dev team.

Edited by TheWolf (11/15/23 04:09 PM)

#509193 - 11/15/23 04:16 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
rattley Offline

I've been very seriously looking at the Event too. Actually the module version, the EventX , might be better next to my future Genos 2. Somebody did a 3rd review of one and it showed a bug basically shutting everything down until reset. Haven't heard if it's a global problem or just an isolated incident. Hopefully it's just a software update? -charley

#509194 - 11/15/23 09:22 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Nick G Offline

In summary after a 6 year wait - to me this is massively underwhelming in my opinion...
Here are some of my thoughts:

1. The OS looks exactly the same, and im sure its right to assume zero changes in mixer settings, zero changes in the style creator / song creator sequencers, no deeper editing of voices or being able to live edit individual multipads etc. Yes the OS is great and I am a fan of it overall but features are definitely missing that could easily be addressed. It's so disappointing to see no changes there!!

2. The words "FM Engine" is thrown about... Ok I get it we have FM sounds hard coded into the machine - which is good. But its still in a way just like using other standard AWM sounds - what's the point if there's no actual FM editing at the operator level? So the actual "engine" isn't really there for us to meddle with isn't it?? I get it they want to keep the keyboard simple and remain more user friendly (minimal editing required out of the box to sound good) But why not give the functionality to allow for a broader audience so at least it is there?

3. A new piano sound - "character Grand"... this makes me laugh. are they actually silently but not so silently acknowledging that finally they have a piano voice that actually has "character"?... sorry to keep arping on about my 15 year old G70, but the G70 "Grand X" piano voice still sh1ts on the CFX sample they have come up with. Yes the CFX sounds "nice" but I'm sorry if you haven't, because you just need to play that Grand X voice on the Roland to know what I talking about...

4. The guy demoing the Genos 2 in the Bonners video starts by saying "we don't need screens that move" which is pretty much a direct dig at Korg (forgetting that Tyros 1 - 5 had tiltable screens). Then there is all this emphasis on Ambience Drums as if this is cutting edge... ummm do they not know the Pa3x had this like 12 years ago?

I just feel like there's a bubble these people are living in over at Yamaha Land. They are forward thinking in so many ways yet I feel that comes with a strong refusal to broaden the scope and give us more editability and control. Allow people that want to go deep to have those tools available in an arranger.

- Let us change the octave levels of the 8 style parts individually in the mixer.
- Give us deeper sound editing / sound creation capability (oscillator level)
- Let me adjust parameters of each of the 4 multipads individually in Realtime (currently it is a blanket effect covering all 4 at once)
- Give us more extensive style editing features - piano roll editing.
- The Tyros use to have all 8 physical buttons below the screen for style mute / solo parts. These buttons were removed in the genos line and converted to "soft buttons" which don't work as efficiently in the heat of realtime playing. (Korg at least introduced the dynamic pads which can used for this).

Frustration frustration frustration...

Edited by Nick G (11/15/23 09:23 PM)

#509195 - 11/16/23 02:31 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: abacus]

Originally Posted By abacus

Overall, I didn't find anything that said buy me, and certainly not enough to upgrade from the existing Genos.
It's going to please a lot of people, but just doesn't float my boat.

Most of what's presented as news on G2 really don't matter as much for my use. I'm not sure what I did expect, but I'm a bit disapointed even if I think it sounds better than any other Yamaha arranger so far...
Bought a Pa4X-76, liked it so much that I sold it for a reasonable good price and will add Pa5X-76 rather than swap G1 for G2.
I have a feeling about that will give me more musically possabilities and challenges as well as more value for the money. smile

#509196 - 11/16/23 03:42 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
KeyBTyros Offline

ARE YOU JOKING ME

Yamaha First shutdown the replay of the Live chat from the event smile
And NOW they SHUTDOWN and remove @ll the comments
What a Losers are they trying to DMG control
Is this demo from Martin Harris getting the same treatment wink
because thats also full of unhappy people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8k3Wu7iujc

#509197 - 11/16/23 04:10 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
DannyUK Offline

I totally agree with most of the comments here, I was completely underwhelmed and expected much better for the length of time it took to arrive.

I have been using the Roland BK9 more than my Genos but maybe a Genos2 could inspire me to use it more often that I did the original.

Also where the hell are you Roland!!! Please just make one more KILLER TOTL that will last 20 years.

I will be very interested to see what the replacement to the SX900 will look like as that is something I will most likely get. The SX900 is fantastic and my favourite Yamaha board.

Edited by DannyUK (11/16/23 09:52 AM)

#509199 - 11/16/23 05:05 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: KeyBTyros]
Kabinopus Offline

Originally Posted By KeyBTyros
ARE YOU JOKING ME

Yamaha First shutdown the replay of the Live chat from the event smile
And NOW they SHUTDOWN and remove @ll the comments
What a Losers are they trying to DMG control
Is this demo from Martin Harris getting the same treatment wink
because thats also full of unhappy people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8k3Wu7iujc

On the other hand, they are just businessmen. On Yamaha's products page they also filter users' ratings and comments; for example, for SX900 they published only one review, although it says "33 reviews"; my review wasn't totally positive, so it never got published. But my thought is still the same, I think the main problem is that the audience is rather small, so any word gets very noticeable.

By the way, it looks like they never promised a live event; they said "a very special online event".

I can see why people could expected more; but it also reasonable that Yamaha tried to keep Genos a Genos and not to turn it into something different. Basically, if it wasn't to fancy names, it could've been called "PSR-X20PRO" or something, but Yamaha figured out at some point that these products are rather about emotions and feelings rather than technicalities. They allow Korg to be more "geeky", whereas Yamaha tries to make arrangers "sexy", and so far it looks like it works.

For those who already has Genos and wants a big change, there's an option of Montage M.

Also I wonder how much depends on a good presentation. I my mind, most of demonstrators keep making the same mistake over and over again. I want to say to them: here's your chance to show your music to the world. Like Beatles, or Freddie Mercury; or Ennio Morricone, or someone else; don't demonstrate the keyboard, bring music to people.

Why I can't recall any music from the latest presentation? Music has the biggest power to influence, to manipulate; instead it goes like this: camera's ready, lights are ready; sound's recording, okay, let's play something... Certainly the man did a nice job, he played skillfully, but that's it - "I did my homework, give me my grade". And I blame the producers. They prefer to work with someone manageable, they want it safe.

When Mark Snow wrote his theme for "The X-Files" show, the producer wasn't that sure that the theme was right, as it sounded rather unusual, but he risked it and it became famous. I understand that it's easier said than done. Often I try to make the "right" demo myself and only after when it's ready I see that it's nothing special. But I dare to expect from them more, as they are the manufacturer, they have all the motivation and resources.

#509200 - 11/16/23 05:28 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: TheWolf]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By TheWolf

. Something very peculiar about the dev team.

What!!! It took ALL of them to do a rinse & repeat / copy and paste job!!!

Edited by DannyUK (11/16/23 09:53 AM)

#509201 - 11/16/23 06:14 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
KeyBTyros Offline

They certainly made a mistake with the presentation that should have been different
I also think that is what made most people disapointed !
lets hope that in the next weeks we would get a different impression
atleast i hope so i do gonna buy it i didn't say its a bad keyboard !
But yeah let the people speak just look at all the comments
looks to me they should have listen more to there loyal cumstomers !

The only person i like in those pictures is Martin i wonder why !

#509202 - 11/16/23 06:58 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Henni]

Originally Posted By Henni
Ketron, you are even more clearly now in a league of your own! Well done..

Oh well, not everything is gold at Ketron either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQFZXTE6Qa8

#509203 - 11/16/23 07:10 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
I thought it was a good presentation and don't see what difference it makes if it was "live" or not. As for the Genos 2, some will be excited by the new features offered and some will not. Those that are impressed will buy it and the rest don't have to. $6500 is a lot of money although true pros and rich hobbyists can justify it. I'll stick with my old PA900 but I don't play too much anymore anyway.

#509204 - 11/16/23 07:22 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
Originally Posted By Henni
Ketron, you are even more clearly now in a league of your own! Well done..

Oh well, not everything is gold at Ketron either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQFZXTE6Qa8

Yes but these can be fixed. Funnily enough, I don't get the problems that are shown in this video, but I get some other strange things happen. I do think they will be fixed, the keyboard is only nearly a year old. The Event sounds fantastic, the styles are out of this world on it.

btw, the same person made this video also, a very good watch:

Edited by DannyUK (11/16/23 07:24 AM)

#509210 - 11/16/23 10:45 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: DannyUK]

Originally Posted By DannyUK

Leigh W does a great work, and here is one of the videos where he have the G2 to explore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpUoar2GrI0

Great keyboard, no doubt, but I desided to keep my G1 and have ordered Pa5X-76.
cool

#509211 - 11/17/23 12:42 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
DannyUK Offline

Leigh W does a great work, and here is one of the videos where he have the G2 to explore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpUoar2GrI0

Great keyboard, no doubt, but I desided to keep my G1 and have ordered Pa5X-76.
cool

Hey Gunnar,

Yes I saw that! I liked the video but the only thing that put me off was how he was exaggerating his emotions and comments which did start to grate after a while lol. I know he's excited about it, but really its not THAT much better to the Genos in the way he was expressing like he's never heard one before!, but you can most certainly hear an improvement, especially in the drums where (for me) it matters the most. I could end up getting one, but it depends on a few things and also it would only be a like for like and not replacing any of my other two TOTLs.

Congratulations on the Pa5x, you can't go wrong with it. I've had one since launch and even yesterday I was still mesmerised whilst playing. Not sure if your Pa5x will come with the latest update but make sure it's upgraded as it will make a big difference, plus it adds many new styles (about 60+) which are outstanding, plus new sounds and multipads.

Edited by DannyUK (11/17/23 12:47 AM)

#509212 - 11/17/23 01:16 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: DannyUK]

... Yes I saw that! I liked the video but ...

Congratulations on the Pa5x, you can't go wrong with it. I've had one since launch and even yesterday I was still mesmerised whilst playing. Not sure if your Pa5x will come with the latest update but make sure it's upgraded as it will make a big difference, plus it adds many new styles (about 60+) which are outstanding, plus new sounds and multipads.

Hehe, it's easy to be carried away. grin

Thank's a lot, also for your advice regarding the updates. It's probably not equipped with the new updates, I think it's shipped as unopened from stores supplier.
I had a Pa4X for a few weeks, and liked it very much and I thought that if G2 did not knock me totally out, I could just as well go for the Pa5 before I got to far into the OS.
Korg is mostly all new for me, if we forget the MicroArr that grandkids have taken over a couple of years ago.
To start with the updates, (probably have to take one by one?), and put in a microSD card for extra storage will be a fine 'softstarter' for me. It's going to be a exciting winter. cool

#509213 - 11/17/23 06:26 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
DannyUK Offline

To start with the updates, (probably have to take one by one?), and put in a microSD card for extra storage will be a fine 'softstarter' for me. It's going to be a exciting winter. cool

Hey Gunnar,

Here's a link to the latest update:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/0/895/4965/

Download the file and read the documentation for a heads up, the documentation is very good.

I am not 100% sure if you will need to do them in order but even if you do there aren't many of them anyway.

The most important thing of it all is to make sure you make a complete backup of your user data because after an update it resets the keyboard back to the factory settings. It's really easy to make a backup, eg, press the FILE button and select INTERNAL and SAVE ALL, and thats it.

However as you will not have any user data to start off with, it would be a perfect time to update as you wont need to save anything anyway so that's one less step to do!.

Ok, but going back on topic, I may be getting a Genos2 after all, I have had some fantastic trade in prices given to me smile

Take Care,
Danny

Edited by DannyUK (11/17/23 06:29 AM)

#509214 - 11/17/23 07:01 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: DannyUK]

... The most important thing of it all is to make sure you make a complete backup of your user data because after an update it resets the keyboard back to the factory settings.........

Ok, but going back on topic, I may be getting a Genos2 after all, I have had some fantastic trade in prices given to me smile

Thank's a lot for your kind info.
The couple of week with Pa4 gave me a little practise, and I'm looking at Korg's videos, and on top of that, I've downloaded all there is of files and manuals / documentation there is to find. In other words, almost ready to start the fun. 🤞

But there is a thing I had some problems to get to work at Pa4. I bought an assignable volume/expression pedal to control the right hand sounds volume, but never got it to work. Tried all setting there was, but no luck.
The pedal was a Korg EXP-2. I let it go with the sale of Pa4. Thankful for any advise regarding this mystery, never had this sort og problem with other keyboards... blush grin

Wish you all the best regarding to get G2, it's no doubt about that it is a great keyboard and the very best arranger from Yamaha till now.
Maybe I'll go for it too, but not quite yet. rocker

#509215 - 11/17/23 07:15 AM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
DannyUK Offline

Thanks Gunnar,

Unfortunately I don't use a pedal so I can't help you with that but maybe someone here or at Korg forums may be able to assist on that.

With regards to Genos2, if I do indeed end up with one (looking quite likely now), its ONLY because I also have the other 2 main arrangers so swapping out a Genos for another one isn't really going to affect me too much, where as I would never trade either the Pa5x or Event towards it, no chance, so it's lucky I have the Genos able to do this.

We'll see anyway. I am just curious about how the drums will sound as they do seem like they are improved.

#509272 - 11/22/23 12:44 PM Re: Yamaha Genos 2 is now official [Re: gambler]
Diki Offline

I think Yamaha may have goofed a bit with all the effort taken to add the FM section. Yes, it does seem to impress the kids with the Montages, as retro-orientated as they seem to be, these days. But most arranger players actually predate the DX7 years, and realize how short lived the FM fever period was, and that for most of the well known FM sounds sampling them worked fine.

Me, I'd have preferred for them to really concentrate on more articulated acoustic sounds, or even some solo wind and string modeling (á la SWAM) and a breath controller input (that was essential for the DX7!), and considerable more work on the realism of the Ensemble section (revoicing multiple stacked sounds into individual parts for accurate section voicing).

If they want to add a new modeling section, something based on a Jupiter 8 or MemoryMoog type analog would add something that would get more use than a DX7 emulation (that you can’t edit).

Clip launching á la Maschine is surprisingly absent… I was fully expecting a pad bank like the PA5x launching audio clips and pads, and Korg’s ’two styles at the same time’ feature (which I think is the biggest leap forward for the accompaniment section in 20 years!) is missing.

There’s a lot of progress lately with arrangers between the PA5X and the Event, but adding a preset only FM section to the Genos seems so ‘meh’…

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online