abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Enjoy

Bill

#509144 - 11/06/23 06:11 AM Re: Ketron Event Review Take 2 [Re: abacus]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello

A very good review! I watched your earlier one too. It sounds like you finally have things figured out better. I'm very interested in the Event X, the module version. I already have a Genos now and have a Genos II pre-ordered. I'm in no hurry now to buy the Ketron. I need to see one hands on somewhere near me. So my Genos has already set the bar high.

I watched the entire video and really thought things were so much better than with the first video. You seem so much better at navigating around. At the end of the video you mentioned these abrupt changes in volume. I know I couldn't live with that. I hope a future update might correct this. Could there be settings on your end to fix this?

I'll be curious to see your next video showing absolutely everything in perfect working order!! I jest of course! -charley

#509146 - 11/06/23 07:28 AM Re: Ketron Event Review Take 2 [Re: abacus]
DannyUK Offline

I will take a look at the video when I get a chance, but seems like it's positive smile

I am still absolutely enjoying my Event, I've got it hooked up to my Pa5x and they make a fantastic duo combo.

#509148 - 11/06/23 09:23 AM Re: Ketron Event Review Take 2 [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think a lot depends on whether you intend to gig or not. To me, it sounds (from his ‘naughty puppy’ comments towards the end) that it’s not ready for the stage, but the bugs are just an inconvenience at home.

#509225 - 11/18/23 11:43 PM Re: Ketron Event Review Take 2 [Re: Diki]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa

#509265 - 11/22/23 01:23 AM Re: Ketron Event Review Take 2 [Re: abacus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Henni

Thanks for putting this together. Bugs not withstanding, this all sounds marvelous to me.

#509270 - 11/22/23 12:04 PM Re: Ketron Event Review Take 2 [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

The one thing the style demos don’t really deal with is what chord types are available for each style (they differ radically). Some styles (particularly the jazz ones) have quite a decent selection, even if they’re nowhere near as many as a traditional MIDI based arranger. But some are quite limited. Even the simplest of country songs might need a sus4, or an add9, open 5th etc..

But unless the demonstrator is trying to showcase this, he’ll tend to stick to the chords available and you won’t know if they recorded a guitar or bass part for a dim or sus4 or any complex chords.

For me, this seems more like an arranger you play along with, rather than an arranger that plays along with YOU… If you only play simple songs or are willing to have the wrong (simpler) chord type play, it’s not much of an issue, I guess. But if you are the kind of player that takes the time to play the CORRECT changes for a song, it may be an issue that becomes problematic…

#509273 - 11/22/23 01:38 PM Re: Ketron Event Review Take 2 [Re: abacus]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello,

Thanks for your review. I was always taught there is no such thing as a wrong chord, or is that only in jazz?? LOL

I have a secret! I'm still waiting with baited breath for the arrival of my Genos 2. Probably next week. I've been trying to find a Ketron Event, let alone an Event X. I really wanted to try one in person but they don't seem to exist in SW Florida. I talked to a music store in Germany. They had one in stock and ready to ship. Bang! Bang! Bang!........ It's in front of me as I speak.

I played around with it last night. It is a different animal than a Genos. Hopefully it will mate with my upcoming Genos 2 and they can make beautiful music together. The sound and styles have a different sound and feel to them than Genos. It's hard to describe. It is more "primitive and possibly unrefined". And I mean that in a good way. I "feel" a live band. It's that "sound" that caught my attention months ago when I first heard an Event.

When I saw they made it as a module I really got excited. I am completely overwhelmed adding this Event X to my Genos 2 setup. Even a few weeks ago I never would have thought I would have both. Sometimes the unexpected in nice!

I hope I don't have to send a "Dear Yamaha" letter. The Genos 2 still means everything to me.......Really Darling!!! -charley

#509274 - 11/22/23 02:19 PM Re: Ketron Event Review Take 2 [Re: Diki]
Ric4001 Offline

I can see where a sus4 or dim chord would be impossible if the audio loop wasn't recorded with those chords. I would hope that Event's engine is sophisticated enough to add a midi 7th or 9th note similar in sound to the recorded loop to get a maj7 or add9 chord. But maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part and not how it actually works.

#509278 - 11/23/23 02:26 PM Re: Ketron Event Review Take 2 [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

You could ADD a MIDI note to a maj or min chord to get a 6th or add9 (although the voicing would no longer be correct for a guitar), but there’s no way to SUBTRACT the third (and 5th) if you wanted a dim or sus.

Bottom line is, if you want guitar chords, you got to have only six notes tops. And guitarists voice things in a very non-linear way once you get into chords with extensions and open chords. Not to mention, the timbre of the added notes are unlikely to be a perfect match to the recorded guitar.

Loops are a great way to add guitar parts to a style, but they come at a cost, compared to the ‘Guitar Modes’ on modern Korg’s and Yamaha’s. Those lose a bit of realism (although they can be very good at times) compared to the loop, but they CAN play (with correct guitar voicing) just about any chord you throw at them.

Plus they can be edited, used on different guitar sounds, and copy and pasted into other styles with ease.

One thing I kind of wish for with audio guitar tracks is that the loop be a straight no effects guitar recording direct from the pickups, then let the user determine what effects, what amp sim, what drive amount is needed for each style. That would at least open up a bit of flexibility for those that want to tinker with the ROM style…

Might be nice as well to have a dry sample set of the guitar used to add chords the loop can’t cover. But I guess by the time you’ve done the latter, might as well just have a Korg type Guitar Mode!

I think for now, for me anyway, chord choice is more important than realism on a limited selection… 🎹😎

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online