SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#508257 - 05/11/23 10:37 AM Re-learning old equipment
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
One result of 'old age' (at least for me) is how quickly we forget how to do things that we did routinely just a short time ago. This is especially true if you never learned it well in the first place smile smile. That's the case with a stand-alone recorder (Tascam DP32SD) I bought on a whim a couple of years ago. After messing with it for a couple of days, I quickly decided that recording on the PC with REAPER + audio interface was ten times easier and faster with even better sound quality. I packed it up, put it in my storage room and it's been there every since until I decided I might want to record something on my new FP-e50 which is located in my office, not my studio.

Pulled it out, unpacked it, and (operationally) drew a complete blank. Back to the manuals, YT tutorials, and occasional flashes of memory. In the process of learning it the first time, I recorded this tune, MY FUNNY VALENTINE (for those that might not recognize it smile ), and left it on the machine. I don't remember much but I'm sure that's the SAX from my old (retired) PA1x-Pro. The sound is pretty lousy 'cause it's 16-bit, un-mixed, and un-mastered. I don't know why I decided to mix two lead instruments at the same time (probably just experimenting) but I thought it was kind of interesting so I decided to post it anyway.

https://app.box.com/s/vdfzztenspwc641pjbrvix63pak1gqrl

chas

#508258 - 05/11/23 11:21 AM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hey Chas,
I love it and the ending with the organ was very tasty. Listening to it took me back to yesteryear in a smoky after hours joint.

Thanks for sharing
Bernie

#508259 - 05/11/23 01:10 PM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Damned, that sounds fantastic to me, Chas. I really enjoyed it, a lot of creativity went into it, and the final product really came out incredible. I can sing, but how I wish I had your playing skills.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#508260 - 05/11/23 02:46 PM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Gary and Bernie, but I think you ol' fogeys just like those old tunes (like I do) no matter who's playing them smile.

chas

PS: I don't think I know anything past 1940 smile.

#508263 - 05/12/23 10:48 AM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
One of my all-time favorite tunes played by my all-time synthzone player.

You KILLED it, dude.

I know what you mean talking about old equipment. For years I played a pair of MS 60 Soltons. Then, I tried to program pre-sets on an SD-5, which is very similar.

Drew a complete blank, and am still using a 1994 Solton MS-60 for speck scores.

Be well, bud.

Russ

#508265 - 05/12/23 04:43 PM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
That was beautiful Chas. Glad you found it.

The older we get, we definitely do forget how to do things.😔

Bought Sample Robot software the other day so that I could sample some drums from my sx900 for my Korg.

Couldn’t get it to play the notes on my sx900 that it needed to record the samples. Wasted 2 days.
Reread the manual on my external soundcard, thought it might be the culprit , haven’t used it for 3 to 4 years.
Then realised I’d left my daw running in the background. My usb interface only allows for one program running at one time.
Normally would have been the first thing I would have checked if something wasn’t working.

Getting old, ain’t fun😫 haha😀

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#508267 - 05/12/23 06:47 PM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: rikkisbears]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears

Getting old, ain’t fun😫 haha😀

Yeah, but thank goodness we can still be immature smile (MEN excel at it smile ). The important thing is that we stay interested and involved. Sure, there's joy in discovery but re-discovery ain't bad either. It proves we can still have a synapse (takes at least TWO brain cells smile ). I feel certain that MUSIC makes us better human beings. I feel a little sad for people that don't have it in their lives. BTW, I (we) love your 'always cheerful' outlook on things.

chas

#508271 - 05/13/23 07:03 PM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By cgiles

The important thing is that we stay interested and involved. Sure, there's joy in discovery but re-discovery ain't bad either. It proves we can still have a synapse (takes at least TWO brain cells smile ). I feel certain that MUSIC makes us better human beings. I feel a little sad for people that don't have it in their lives. BTW, I (we) love your 'always cheerful' outlook on things.

chas

Hi Chas, so true about staying involved. Hubby has his online video games, communicates with friends from all over the world ,
me, I’ve got my keyboards, might not be much of a musician, but I enjoy it anyway.
Definitely agree that music makes us better human beings.

Oh thank you, I do my best to try and stay cheerful, who wants to listen to a grouch . Haha.😀

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#508272 - 05/13/23 07:33 PM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: rikkisbears]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
who wants to listen to a grouch . Haha.😀

smile smile Yeah, I need to remember that smile.

chas

#508274 - 05/13/23 07:46 PM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Chas. Really liked it. The sax was fine, as the digital piano. The slap bass was the coolest of the bunch. I liked how the sax 'talked' back. The southern gospel ending was fun. Nicely done smile

Edited by zuki (05/13/23 07:47 PM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online