SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#508212 - 05/03/23 07:13 AM Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I’m 74 now. Just moved to southern MO. Been out of gigging since 2019.

My gigs we’re nursing homes, assisted living and small parties

I got a good deal on an SX900 and Bose Pro 16… thought I would get back in the game but don’t want to go it alone anymore.

There is business here but I can’t seem to get myself motivated to make the contacts.

Thoughts?

#508213 - 05/03/23 08:52 AM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I know the feeling. I added a strumming guitar player in his early 60s who sang 50’s and R and R. The room started with eight people; when we left, we were playing in the auditorium for 125 people. I played one job after the guitar left --- then I stopped playing out – I was 83 when I stopped playing out.
Hope this helps, John C.

Motivation is the key word. What instruments are you using.
I know the feeling. I added a strumming guitar player in his early 60s who sang 50’s and R and R. The room started with eight people; when we left, we were playing in the auditorium for 125 people. I played one job after the guitar left --- then I stopped playing out – I was 83 when I stopped playing out.

Hope this helps, John C.

Motivation is the key word. What instruments are you using?

Edited by bruno123 (05/03/23 08:54 AM)

#508215 - 05/03/23 02:55 PM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
In the UK where I live it pretty much dried up since the pandemic, would be great to get back into it though

#508216 - 05/04/23 12:22 PM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It just started opening up again here a few months ago, and the regular players are pretty much back to work, but not as often as they were prior to the pandemic. A few, though, will perform about 300 jobs this year in Maryland.

The secret to success is to beat the pavement and meet those ADs in person, provide them with a sample CD, a business card, and ask for some open dates, special occasions, national holidays, etc... I even provide them with a wall calendar and a pen, and in my case, I was able to book a year or more in advance, ever month, and in some instances every week at the same location and got top dollar as a single entertainer. If I were physically able, I would give up my retirement and go back to work - Yes, I miss it that much!

If you wish, I can mail you a sample package of what I provided to my ADs, which you can duplicate for under $5. If you book a single job from each package, you are well ahead. Just email me your address and I'll be more than happy to send it via snail mail to you in the next few days.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#508221 - 05/05/23 03:45 AM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Thx all

Gary, I know you did well.

The business is here. I have all the equipment I need and had a good business going in Minnesota.

I can’t seem to get myself out to make the connections. Lazy? Unmotivated? Retired? 😊

#508222 - 05/05/23 08:29 AM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There is not a minute in the day that I cannot live without doing something - even if it is wrong! wink Though I am physically shot to Hell, I still take on projects, such as woodworking, gardening, and going on the music forums to help those in need of some technical assistance. I even recorded a song a few days ago, but I'm not happy with the way it came out. I ran out of lung toward the end, even though I had 3 liters of O2 in my nose tube and inhaled a bronchdialator just prior to singing.

Johnny B Goode

Hang in there, old friend,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#508231 - 05/06/23 06:13 AM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
zuki Offline

That market is alive and well. Like anything, it won't come to you, as these facilities have plenty of musicians? calling them daily. So you have to get in line. I have a lot of repeat, but never take it for granted. There's always someone new, better and younger.......But with a lot of effort, no reason to not have 20 gigs a month.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#508234 - 05/08/23 01:28 AM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Thx all

Appreciate the responses

#508242 - 05/10/23 03:57 AM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
This is advice from a smart man, John C.

John,

Try google searching retirement communties, nusring homes, assisted living, alzheimers, and every other name the places go by, them put together a data base of locations.

The next step is to call each of the locations, determine the number of beds, and ask for the activity directors name. Put this into the data base as well.

Then, send out a package to every one of them that looks good to you. Try to be somewhat selective and send full packages to perspective or poptential clients with 100 or more beds--they tend to have lots of entertainers.

After sending the packages, call each of them on the phone, ask for the activities director by name, ask if he or she got the package, and try to set up a meeting.

The rest is up to you. You essentially need to be a salesman and sell your product--high quality entertainment.

Good Luck,

Gary

#508324 - 05/24/23 02:43 PM Re: Anyone still gigging nursing homes etc? [Re: guitpic1]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Mailing packages nowadays is not so well received. Most people want a digital package, half of them don’t have anything to play a CD or DVD on! CD’s are the new 8-tracks!

Most pros nowadays tend to get a website built with all the relevant information and demos on it (or build it yourself if you have decent website skills), contact information, booking calendar etc..

Then all an AD needs is a laptop or tablet to get your info. Plus, the same package will work for restaurants, bars and weddings etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online