SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#507697 - 02/21/23 01:42 PM Alesis Harmony 61 PRO
Yul Offline

Hello guys, sorry about this odd post.

This one supports USB audio and WAV recording.

I can't get past it it's so cheap I would love to have an Alesis rompler as sound module.

Problem is there are no demos anywhere whatsoever...big red flag.

I am still curious and it's really itching!

Anyone have any info on it? I am sure it sounds terrible but sometimes there's a charm to it too!

#507698 - 02/21/23 06:31 PM Re: Alesis Harmony 61 PRO [Re: Yul]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
https://keyboardkraze.com/best-alesis-keyboards/

They sell it at Walmarts… 😂🎹

#507699 - 02/21/23 08:34 PM Re: Alesis Harmony 61 PRO [Re: Yul]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Anything rompler that Alesis made was top notch, very under rated company and synths, for example any QS or quadra synth, also hardware that you had to pay extra from other manufactures.

#507700 - 02/22/23 04:31 AM Re: Alesis Harmony 61 PRO [Re: Yul]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Pretty sure Alesis got bought out a while back and are manufacturing in China like everyone else. So I doubt there’s much continuity between the Alesis of old with the Quadrasynth and their excellent drum machines (I had several in the 80’s and 90’s) and their modern product.

Like you said… bit of a red flag there’s no audio on this. But hey, it’s chump change money. Even if it sucks you won’t be out much!

Then again… $200-300 buys you some seriously good VSTi ROMplers. If you’re on a tight budget and looking for best bang for the buck, Komplete and things like that put you into some seriously next level sounds beyond any arranger..

#507730 - 02/23/23 06:33 PM Re: Alesis Harmony 61 PRO [Re: Yul]
Yul Offline

So I got it. Couldn't resist.

It the only KB I have because I use synth plugins on the PC. I wanted a do-it-all hands on rompler that will not kill my hard disk.

I will use it as scratchpad but the usb audio and midi opens possibilities for creation.

It sounds really crisp and rich tbh just like remembered old Kawai and Alesis (I think). Sample quality is good.

Each tone has a single velocity layer, quite basic but sounds are velocity sensitive. Also can't hear sample loop points which is good.

Many sounds are quite common GM style but that's ok. Decent selection and usable.

Some sounds are (ex: choirs) are well made the vibrato tracks perfect across the octaves.

Most other sounds are a bit flat pitch wise you need the pitchbend like any cheap synth. No LFO's or portamento here.

I believe that switching sounds does not stop the previous held one.. interesting and like higher end models.

It layers and splits. Speakers are good, audio out better.

Drums kits are interesting .. even has a brush kit.

Effects are very basic but reverb is quite good.

Build quality is top notch and keys real solid.

There are basic arranger functions and backing but styles are fixed. There are some advanced features with midi I believe for drums and synths tracking.

Anyhow it's a great sound source for electro, ambient, soundtracks and videogame music I am sure combined with a computer it has good potential.

P.S. The USB audio works with my ASIO4ALL driver..interesting. My DAW will only accept it if I use the Harmony as input and my soundcard as output. Works perfectly..

Edited by Yul (02/24/23 08:57 AM)

#507745 - 02/25/23 08:56 AM Re: Alesis Harmony 61 PRO [Re: Yul]
Yul Offline

OK so change of plans! The Alesis has been returned.

The OS is a bit buggy when trying to use some of the arranger features even though not a big deal.

There is an entire arranger engine but it is not completed..hopefully they will finish it on a future release.

The toucpad ha a digital delay but the delay timing is fixed. There are no user sounds even though the front panel says so. No enveloppes..whatsoever. sheeesh. Stil, it sounded good.

My biggest issue was that the drum kits cannot be sequenced from the PC. The USB audio works, the midi out works but the midi in from the DAW to the Alesis is not working...show stopper... can't sequence the drums..

I have exchanged it for PSR-E473..this should do the trick. Considering I have a PC fully loaded.
I really wanted drums. Too bad the sounds were pretty good for the price.

Cheers

Edited by Yul (02/25/23 09:48 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online