SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#507668 - 02/18/23 01:17 PM Re: The new KETRON EVENT Workstation ... it's coming. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi AJ, does the Ketron event have some sort of event list style editing for styles where you can fix up a single note if you make a mistake while recording it from scratch, or do you have record the style track again?

Might also go by name of microscopic editing in Roland’s ? Diki of course would know being a die hard Roland fan😀

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#507670 - 02/18/23 02:01 PM Re: The new KETRON EVENT Workstation ... it's coming. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yep, good old Micro Edit!

But if you just make ONE mistake, kudos to you! Personally I’m a much bigger fan of being able to import and export style Divisions to a DAW, which gives you a VASTLY easier editing environment than a list edit.

All kinds of options exist to allow things like groove quantize, velocity compression, controller editing and the like, all in a nice big graphically rich environment.

Nowadays, I think this is by far the easiest way to edit styles…

#507671 - 02/18/23 04:24 PM Re: The new KETRON EVENT Workstation ... it's coming. [Re: Diki]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Diki
Yep, good old Micro Edit!

But if you just make ONE mistake, kudos to you! Personally I’m a much bigger fan of being able to import and export style Divisions to a DAW, which gives you a VASTLY easier editing environment than a list edit.

All kinds of options exist to allow things like groove quantize, velocity compression, controller editing and the like, all in a nice big graphically rich environment.

Nowadays, I think this is by far the easiest way to edit styles…

Hi Diki , korgs can do that too , as a whole style, import/export as .mid and I’m reasonably sure it could be done as individual sections, ( don’t hold me to that ). That’s how I used to do my psr to korg style conversions.

Must be a feature they added in later models?
My old g800 I’m pretty sure never did it, or I wouldn’t have had to record individual edited
style tracks across from pc sequencer to g800. Glad those days are gone 😀.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#507676 - 02/19/23 06:43 AM Re: The new KETRON EVENT Workstation ... it's coming. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
Diki Offline

Yeah, style to MIDI and back was never really a strong focus for Roland. I think they had some PC software included with the Prelude that allowed a style to be stitched together from SMF’s, but it was never developed further or bundled with any other arranger (afaik).

Yet another in the long list of great features developed (partially) and then completely neglected. For the want of a nail…

#507679 - 02/19/23 01:58 PM Re: The new KETRON EVENT Workstation ... it's coming. [Re: Diki]
rikkisbears Offline

Yeah, style to MIDI and back was never really a strong focus for Roland. I think they had some PC software included with the Prelude that allowed a style to be stitched together from SMF’s, but it was never developed further or bundled with any other arranger (afaik).

Yet another in the long list of great features developed (partially) and then completely neglected. For the want of a nail…

Hi Diki, I misunderstood, I thought you meant Roland eventually included some sort of mid to style function. I was a Roland fan early days always had a technics and a Roland. Loved those RA arrangers. Big fan of arranger modules.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#507680 - 02/19/23 07:03 PM Re: The new KETRON EVENT Workstation ... it's coming. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
Diki Offline

I doubt that the best place for a style Part to MIDI and back is the arranger itself.

I mean, the whole point of it is that, sooner or later, you’re going to use a computer. Might as well get the whole process in there, get to see all your options on a nice big display, allow simple drag and drop or copy paste over to your DAW, and all it needs is quick easy transfer to the arranger (preferably in real-time to the play buffer) for testing the Division out.

Let’s face it, even tablets (even most phones nowadays!) have bigger screens than the best arrangers! So a computer gives you all the screen estate you need to keep track on how you’re assembling and editing your new style. Style creation and editing is a pretty comp,ex function, and dividing it up into multiple pages because you’re stuck with a tiny display just doesn’t make sense any more.

It’s kind of like built-in arranger sequencers. The BEST of them is a complete dog compared to sequencing on a computer. Time to migrate all these complex editing arranger functions (style creation and editing, voice editing, sample editing, multipad creation etc) to a nice big computer screen…

This is the 21st century, isn’t it? 😂🎹

#507681 - 02/19/23 09:49 PM Re: The new KETRON EVENT Workstation ... it's coming. [Re: Diki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Time to migrate all these complex editing arranger functions (style creation and editing, voice editing, sample editing, multipad creation etc) to a nice big computer screen…

....and yet, I can monitor my heart rate, track most of my physical activities, monitor my sleep patterns, call or text my buddy half way around the world, schedule (and be notified of) my appointments, pay for my in-store purchases, and oh yeah, tell the time, ALL ON A DEVICE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A QUARTER (tucked away neatly on my wrist). Seems to me the FUTURE is trending towards miniaturization (with it's corresponding efficiency, energy saving, and convenience). Time to realize that every 'brilliant' idea may be right for you but not necessarily right for everyone. Every person has his/her own desired workflow. Some people actually prefer doing everything within the unit and see all the back-and-forth between the instrument and the computer as more 'burdensome' and unnecessarily complex (not to mention requiring an extra piece of expensive equipment and a certain level of expertise on that equipment). Even those that opt for the computer approach STILL like having the option of the on-board features.

Whoops, my smart watch just reminded me that I've been sitting at this computer too long....time to get up and stretch smile smile smile.

chas

#507683 - 02/20/23 05:39 AM Re: The new KETRON EVENT Workstation ... it's coming. [Re: cgiles]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By cgiles
Time to migrate all these complex editing arranger functions (style creation and editing, voice editing, sample editing, multipad creation etc) to a nice big computer screen…

....and yet, I can monitor my heart rate, track most of my physical activities, monitor my sleep patterns, call or text my buddy half way around the world, schedule (and be notified of) my appointments, pay for my in-store purchases, and oh yeah, tell the time, ALL ON A DEVICE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A QUARTER (tucked away neatly on my wrist). Seems to me the FUTURE is trending towards miniaturization (with it's corresponding efficiency, energy saving, and convenience). Time to realize that every 'brilliant' idea may be right for you but not necessarily right for everyone. Every person has his/her own desired workflow. Some people actually prefer doing everything within the unit and see all the back-and-forth between the instrument and the computer as more 'burdensome' and unnecessarily complex (not to mention requiring an extra piece of expensive equipment and a certain level of expertise on that equipment). Even those that opt for the computer approach STILL like having the option of the on-board features.

Whoops, my smart watch just reminded me that I've been sitting at this computer too long....time to get up and stretch smile smile smile.

chas

It depends on what you want to do as to the size of screen you need; using a DAW on a watch is pointless just monitoring heart rate on a big screen is overkill.
Best option for an arranger (And many manufactures provide facility’s for this) is a Tablet that can be used in conjunction with the on-board screen. (It also allows you to choose what size tablet you want)

Bill

#507684 - 02/20/23 05:39 AM Re: The new KETRON EVENT Workstation ... it's coming. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
Diki Offline

Well, Chas, the next time you edit a style on your watch, you tell us all how it went… 😂

#507685 - 02/20/23 07:13 AM Re: The new KETRON EVENT Workstation ... it's coming. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Soooo...what you got from my post is that I was advocating editing styles on a watch? Really? BTW, how come so much animosity towards Ketron products, especially since you don't own one, have never owned one, and don't intend to buy one. I thought it was interesting (but not surprising) that Rikki mentioned that most of the negativity and pot-stirring over at the Korg forum came from people who didn't even own a Korg. I think AJ, who has a reputation for being over-and-above helpful and supportive, has been extremely patient and accommodating in fielding information requests, even prickly and sarcastic ones from people with no purchasing intent. Sure, he's a company representative but he's certainly a better man than me.

For the record, I don't edit styles although I see nothing wrong with trying to make something sound better. It's just that most of the styles on my arrangers already sound better than any enhancements I might make, and plus, I'd rather spend my time playing them than editing them. My theory is that lousy playing over a meticulously edited style is still lousy playing. Of course these are just my opinions, and I don't for a second think that they are superior to anyone else's.

chas

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online